DSD FME

hamradionl

Well, which version are you using, the precompiled version? Or one of the branches from Github?
The pre-compile version for windows

What kind of system are you trying to decode? Depending on which type of system it is, you may need to configure for that system type in particular (especially NXDN)
Sorry may forgot to mention in the first post, but its simplex DMR

SDR# using Fastlane is decode proper voice i see DMR every 1 second its sending out IDLE packets

What be the most simple way to Setup DsD-fme
- use SDR# + audiocable
- use SDR++ have DSD-FME connect to it with the direct audio link tcp
- Dsd-Fme directly to run RTL is there a start script ( i try several have no luck )

a417

I think the trickiest part for me has always been routing audio.
That's why 99% of the suggestions around here for when "people can't get it working" is to drop the SDR software nonsense and feed the program the way it was intended. People must know something.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well I may look into that if it will make this much easier! Going to go check it out now.

You may need a Github account in order to download the latest deb file from the github. Believe me, its a lot easier than to build it from scratch. If you are using Linux Mint, it'll be either the ubuntu focal deb for linux mint 20, or the ubuntu jammie deb for linux mint 21.

The pre-compile version for windows

Okay, the pre-compiled version doesn't have TCP direct link, that was last built before I added the TCP direct link audio, nor does it have direct rtl support (compatibility issues I ran into when building it) so you'll have to stick with disctap/vbcables/virtual cables and route audio into it. I've found that for most people, the trick is just getting the audio from point A to point B in a vbcable setup without creating some odd feedback loop or having other audio randomly dump into the vbcable. That, and the settings you use in SDR# or SDR++. Since I don't use SDR#, I can't advise on how to set that up for proper decoding, but in SDR++, just set your device gain to an appropriate level (no agc), put your VFO on the frequency center and adjust its bandwidth appropriately, and don't use any audio filtering (I think that's what wrecks a lot of decoding from SDR# is random filters and stuff) and also make sure the audio in and out gain aren't too high, and you should be good to go.

and feed the program the way it was intended.

And which way would that be exactly?

hamradionl

lwvmobile said:
Okay, the pre-compiled version doesn't have TCP direct link, that was last built before I added the TCP direct link audio, nor does it have direct rtl support (compatibility issues I ran into when building it)

Ahaa, no wonder i get some odd output from p25 while nothing came in...... :)
TCP still the best way

so you'll have to stick with disctap/vbcables/virtual cables and route audio into it.

For digital i always set all filter off

The bat file looks like
dsd-fme-win.exe -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp -fr -ma

VirtualAudioCable set to output A
Both SDR++ and SDR# not get input

dsdfme show these P25 messages again but 100% sure its DMR we not have P25 overrhere

DSD-FME Precompiled Windows 'Lite' v1.6.0-451-gb4a0e2e

13:35:06 Sync: -P25p2 SISCH P2 Missing Parameters
13:35:06 P25p2 VCH 1 DUID ERR 14
13:35:06 P25p2 VCH 0 DUID ERR -1
Sync: no sync
Press CTRL + C to close.
13:35:11 Sync: -P25p2 SISCH P2 Missing Parameters
13:35:17 P25p2 VCH 1 CRC16 ERR L
13:35:17 P25p2 VCH 0 DUID ERR 1
13:35:17 P25p2 VCH 1 DUID ERR -1
Sync: no sync
Press CTRL + C to close.

Using for DsDfastlane = running these setting

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
The command line arguments are different than what you would typically find in the LouisErigHerve precompiled version, the dsd-fme.bat file should show you that. For DMR, I would run

dsd-fme-win.exe -fs

No need to specify input, output, optimizations (actually, using -ma is probably a detriment to DMR) and I don't think the -fr switch works in there anymore, it was changed to -fs for DMR. So, try with the above command instead.

hamradionl

The command line arguments are different than what you would typically find in the LouisErigHerve precompiled version, the dsd-fme.bat file should show you that. For DMR, I would run

dsd-fme-win.exe -fs

SDR# pipe to VirtualAudioCable-A
This all i see,
no IDLe
no voice packets

DSD-FME Precompiled Windows 'Lite' v1.6.0-451-gb4a0e2e
Decoding DMR Stereo BS/MS Simplex

hamradionl

Is DSD-FME listening to the same virtual cable? Or is it just listening to whatever the default audio input device is?

You may have to set it to the correct cable and then restart FME after its been set, that's been my experience at least.
openear not show data = decoding voice.
Fastlane also decode use the same AudioCable or TCP = decoding voice

Its a DMR that every second give a IDLE signal on the channel
I have 3 virtual audiocables, A, B, C try all 3 DSD-fme not show any IDLE data nor voice.

I have no idea.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I have no idea.

Don't know what to tell you then, other than to double check the obvious things.

You said you tried all the virtual audiocables, but do you mean SDR# is just piping into those cables, or did you check to see if DSD-FME was set up to listen to one of those cables.

Typically, what I've found I've had to do when testing this stuff inside of a VM, is to open the Windows Audio Mixer by right clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray while both SDR# and FME are running, then tell FME to listen to the VBCable, and then close FME and re-open it and then it works.
Screenshot_79.png

I got SDR++ working just fine (considering its a sluggish VM running off of a slow storage mechanical hard drive)

Didn't have any luck getting SDR# Community Studio blah blah edition to work until I started plundering and found the audio processor and unchecked the Bandpass filter, and it started syncing up and working about as well as I would expect SDR# to work (which honestly isn't very well)

Screenshot_82.png

Then, just for fun, I tcp linked to it with the plugin and the dev version to see how well that worked, was about the same, but still decoding errors

Screenshot_83.png

and then, just for comparison, I tcp linked to SDR++, and again, got better decoding results with less data errors
Screenshot_84.png

Edit: Just noticed the volume mixer screenshots clipped so you couldn't see that dsd-fme-winshould have input device set as virtual cable.

Screenshot_85.png

Make it look like in the screenshot above, and then restart FME, then it should work, if everything else is set up right.

Last edited:

hamradionl

Then, just for fun, I tcp linked to it with the plugin and the dev version to see how well that worked, was about the same, but still decoding errors and then, just for comparison, I tcp linked to SDR++, and again, got better decoding results with less data errors

View attachment 131509

Make it look like in the screenshot above, and then restart FME, then it should work, if everything else is set up right.

I try SDR++ TCP setting,

DSD-fme i use:
dsd-fme-win.exe -fs

SDR++
In network i see yellow LISTENING
i not see the GREEN CONNECTEDSCREEN_TCP_001.jpg

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I try SDR++ TCP setting,
I'd like to remind you, we've already had this conversation this morning. Windows Precompiled doesn't support tcp direct link audio. Only the DEV branch on Github supports it right now.

Screenshot from 2022-11-21 19-26-29.png

If this doesn't help, then I don't know what will.

Ahaa, no wonder i get some odd output from p25 while nothing came in...... :)

So, what kind of system are you trying to decode again? I thought you said it was a DMR system? or is it a P25 system? Or are you trying to decode multiple system types?

I truly recommend you just run it with the most basic command dsd-fme-win.exe that will allow you to decode both P25 and DMR. If the P25 system is LSM/Simulcast, you may need to use the -mq option to enable QPSK for P1, but that will only be good on a P1 simulcast system (which could still be badly decoded)

@bobruzzo I just had a thought on your P1 simulcast system, make sure you are using the -mq switch when trying to listen to it, otherwise you won't get very good decoding on that system. I can't remember if I mentioned that to you recently or not.

hamradionl

lwvmobile said:

Aiiiiii oeps, TCP you got me, iam so sorry, Old men moment overhere
In europe local area only DMR 3 channels in total

GOT IT running
Fully error free in SDR++
Thank you for time and effort.

Next thing is how to find out the encr they use :)

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I was able to get my DSD-FME decoding the local P25 Police Dept and it is working fine. I got GQRX-scan working along with it and I got it to scan between 2 channels the PD uses. I think due to bandwidth of dongle I can't add any more freqs to the scan if they go too far beyond the freqs its already scanning. But its working very well. Thank you for all the help.
DSD-FME with GQRX/scan

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I got GQRX-scan working along with it and I got it to scan between 2 channels the PD uses.

I saw the video, looks really good, I'm glad to see people finding creative ways to use the software.

I think due to bandwidth of dongle I can't add any more freqs to the scan if they go too far beyond the freqs its already scanning.

I'm not quite sure how GQRX-scan works internally, but if it could tune GQRX with the remote, it should theoretically be able to tune to any frequency allowed by the device. In the past, one thing I have noticed is that if you jump bands from say, 850, to 450, to 150, they all have different noise floors and noise levels, so rapidly tuning back and forth between them could cause squelch issues and other noise events and not turn out so well. The best kind of set up is probably like how you have it in your video, where the center frequency doesn't move, but the VFO just moves back and forth within that window.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I saw the video, looks really good, I'm glad to see people finding creative ways to use the software.

I'm not quite sure how GQRX-scan works internally, but if it could tune GQRX with the remote, it should theoretically be able to tune to any frequency allowed by the device. In the past, one thing I have noticed is that if you jump bands from say, 850, to 450, to 150, they all have different noise floors and noise levels, so rapidly tuning back and forth between them could cause squelch issues and other noise events and not turn out so well. The best kind of set up is probably like how you have it in your video, where the center frequency doesn't move, but the VFO just moves back and forth within that window.
I am glad I got it working even tho its a few steps to get it going. Maybe I can make some kind of script file that will load virtualsink, then open gqrx and set it so it automatically starts, then start dsd-fme......but thats a rabbit hole for me!

hamradionl

lwvmobile said:

This morning the first data burst see some error, need little fine tuning
Possible monitor both DMR channels on same time?
(SDR++ not have scanner)

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Possible monitor both DMR channels on same time?

Sure, just as long as its not the type of channel that has constant signalling on it, you could do a scanning approach on it, or even set up multiple VFOs and pipe them both into DSD-FME at the same time and it should work, just so long as both aren't active at the same time. Just depends on how busy they are. The scanner approach would probably be better though, I would imagine.

(SDR++ not have scanner)

Actually, it does, but I believe its just the 'nightly' builds that do, so you'll need one of the more up to date builds (not version 1.04)

Screenshot from 2022-11-22 10-55-38.png

Here's a link to the latest nightly build for Windows x64, I put it up just now since the nightly downloads requires a github account to be able to download.

hamradionl

[QUOTE="lwvmobile, post: 3762328]
Here's a link to the latest nightly build for Windows x64, I put it up just now since the nightly downloads requires a github account to be able to download.
[/QUOTE]

thank you.
BTW scanner not tune very accurate :)

Last edited:

Red_Ice

Hola amigos.

Estoy tratando de comprender y aprender a extraer la clave de una transmisión NXDN de 15 bits, alguno de vosotros podría ayudarme, el motivo es puramente de aprendizaje para mis estudios, estoy comenzando la carrera y estoy perdido en esto, gracias por vuestra ayuda.