DSD+ & Monitoring of New P25 PII System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkillins

Iam using DSD+ (Fastlane 2.246) to monitor a new P25 PII public safety system replacing our current EDACS system. It has been for the most part an inactive system, not much to see in the event log let alone hearing (in all likelihood a result of majority encrytion)

But today, the event window is being populated with reams of what appears to be non-stop radio affilitions.
Code:
Registration;   RID 1241660   ACCEPT
Affliliation;   RID 1241660  TG=1250  ACCEPT

These RIDs appear to repeat (diificult to say because they are scrolling so fast and the numbers are pretty big) with different affliations between 3 different talkgroups. I am used to seeing this behaviour, when a radio turns on initially and/or a radio changes to a different talkgroup. But I have never seen this type of behaviour. DOes (this) P25 PII system send out registration/affiliation data out routinely and constantly?? It's been 15 minutes and it's still sending information to the event window. It's almost like every radio (in the system?) is being turned on (but never off) and switching channels systematically. The radio database isn't increasing in ids though.

All this activity is coniciding with activity in the channel activity window. Everytime there is registration of a radio, only one of the activity system frequencies lights up, the target being the registered RID, and priority being L/O.

A broad question ... but what is going on here?

The other ... L/O I assume means lock(ed) out, but is there a means to "listen" to it, knowing of course that if it's encrypted or data it will just be noise.

Last edited:

rkillins

Hmmm ... thanks Forts. Kinda intriguing. I wonder if it's cycling through all the radios going out to the new system, with each radio going through their available talkgroups? Will have to look at the raw data when it stops to see if there are any patterns. Do you know what file this activity would be stored in?

rkillins

Thanks Slicer, I'm assuming you're referring to the Output Menu? If so, I can't find the right option to hear anything associated with these transmissions. Only see options for digital voice sysnthesis. And I do have Follow Encrypted Voice Calls Checked already.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The activity will be in the dsdplus.events file.

From what I've seen on that system all the activity like that has only involved a small handful of RIDs.

slicerwizard

Thanks Slicer, I'm assuming you're referring to the Output Menu? If so, I can't find the right option to hear anything associated with these transmissions. Only see options for digital voice sysnthesis. And I do have Follow Encrypted Voice Calls Checked already.
I mean that if you're running in combined CC/VC mode and have enc following enabled, you're "listening" to enc calls, as DSD+ will tune to them and sit on them until they unkey. You should see enc information - algorithm and keyID. Audio is muted, which isn't a great loss, since all enc traffic sounds the same. If you want an audible notification, use the Misc menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.