DSD Question with Linuxmint 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
OK, so I am just toying around and installed Linux-mint 11 the newest one, on a second PC.

I do believe I got the files installed the right way, but have a question. I got a error message of something similar to the following:
Digital Speech Decoder 1.4.1
mbelib version 1.2.3
Error, couldn't open /dev/audio
ioctl reset error
ioctl speed error
ioctl stereo error
ioctl setfmt error
Audio Out Device: /dev/audio

Now would I be correct in saying that I now need to connect a scanner to my audio card at this point and get that all setup? Would I also be correct in being under the (OH NO) assumption that since I have a Home Patrol, I can run a cable from the line out into the line in to my audio card and be able to get things cracking? If I am wrong would someone mind lending a hand please. I am totally new to this, but have done some much needed reading and got this far and continue to read even after this posting as there is a lot of info around just need to piece it all together here and there cause there really is not a "How to" for doing this directly step by step.

Thank you to all!

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
Hi

There's a linux issue with your sound card/platform.

Search these forums for /dev/audio. There are several threads with the same issue and description.

Also, for most of the decoding from DSD an unfiltered audio source is necessary, like from a discriminator tap. Most folks chose to modify an old analog scanner with some simple parts. There is a nice wiki on this board covering many popular models. Search for discriminator.

Take Care,

Mike

Dafe1er

Getting somewhere now.

94 views and not one reply. WOW good looking out everyone! typical for a forum.

For anyone whom might need to find a way to install DSD (like I did), then please read post# 216 in the following link: http://forums.radioreference.com/di.../189035-dsd-1-4-mbelib-1-2-3-released-11.html

Now, I have installed the Ubuntu 10.4, and have everything setup and ready to go, with the exception of using the Home Patrol. Since no one wanted to chime in on my question, I have learned that The HP-1 is able to do raw data out, but was not setup for it from Uniden to do right now out of the box using the Line out ONLY! This is what I have seen ONLY in the Extreme upgrade manual (p.73):

"Raw Data Output
This function is used to analyze raw decoded data using external software. Uniden does not yet support this output, but will provide the output format to software authors for inclusion in their programs".

I did however find it amazing that members here at RR, and over at Uniden's site, have asked questions on this so called " Raw Data" and the Home Patrol, but not to my surprise, NOT one person has replied and or commented on this back to them, and I am wondering why? if the technology is there, why did they not implement it, or even tell us how to use and or start to use it?

So what are we to do now? the DSD Author is gone from what I can gather and see around the boards, I have no clue as to right code, and would love to get the HP-1 running on this DSD.

So I guess in the meantime I will go get one of my old scanners and "Fix" it up so I can finally try to get me some MOTOTRBO. but would anyone (chuckling to myself) like to chime in on this? UPman? DSD Author ( Can I bring you out of hiding?...LOL) someone? anyone? I know you are all out there, I see u!....
Is there maybe some other software or person working on things for the HP-1 to work like it should? anyone maybe working on a new program? help us all out here if you can!

Thanks,

Dafe.

Dafe1er

Thank you for your reply scanpprcn, you posted as I was typing the above....LOL]

I have everything in order now, and have done MUCH reading, so I think I am good, just need to get a scanner up and going and I should be money. I will let you all know soon!

thanks again

Dafe.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
See, the problem is in your signature. If you have a problem in forums, your take on things may need re-adjusted.

A forum is here to help when you have problems with what you have LEARNED. A forum is not here to teach you anything. It is a community of people who share a passion and are willing to help with problems and just chit chat about the said passion. I will not spoon feed you and I don't believe many in any forum will. I may provide links for you to learn, but I may also say Google is your friend.

Now, the Linux problem. The problem is /dev/audio is included by a program called the open sound system. Most distros don't use this. Instead most use Alsa with Pulse audio on top. One could write a system link to list that. This is fairly easy after you find your actual device.

ln -s /where/ever/real/device/is /dev/audio

Finding your device could be a chore, but should not be to hard.

Dafe1er

Well, I guess being a person whom handles a couple forums as an Super Moderator, I thought the point too forums was to help inform people and try to help them LEARN what they are asking about??? I guess I have been wrong for the past 6 years. Also what is wrong with my signature? It states just what I am looking to do and what I will do to help out others.

I SAID NOTHING ABOUT SPOON FEEDING ME DID I? NOPE!!!

I did my homework, and since you did not really read too see this, I got things in the order they were to be in, to continue on to my next step, after three days and multiple sites with information all over the place, I finally put it all together unlike most whom were looking to get a little info. So pardon me if I like to help out others, ask general questions, and try to learn something new, then teach others.

I guess when you first started off in ANY hobby, you must have known it all, and did not seek help? VERY DOUBTFUL.

Maybe seeings how you like to troll and try to correct people whom are just asking general questions, you could use some of that "Higher" power tripping and put a "How to" guide together for DSD. Oh wait, that means you would have to try and help others, or I mean SPOON FEED THEM.

And yes, you and your comments are just typical of forums and boards across the net trying to make people feel lesser than you cause you are the "Man"....

Now hopefully this weekend I will have this 100% as I dug out my old BC760XLT, and will be doing the "Fix" to it tonight or tomorrow, and then I should be able to just turn on the PC, run DSD plug in the scanner line and be off and running and out of the TROLLS hair!.

Thanks again,
Dafe.

See, the problem is in your signature. If you have a problem in forums, your take on things may need re-adjusted.

A forum is here to help when you have problems with what you have LEARNED. A forum is not here to teach you anything. It is a community of people who share a passion and are willing to help with problems and just chit chat about the said passion. I will not spoon feed you and I don't believe many in any forum will. I may provide links for you to learn, but I may also say Google is your friend.

Now, the Linux problem. The problem is /dev/audio is included by a program called the open sound system. Most distros don't use this. Instead most use Alsa with Pulse audio on top. One could write a system link to list that. This is fairly easy after you find your actual device.

ln -s /where/ever/real/device/is /dev/audio

Finding your device could be a chore, but should not be to hard.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess being a person whom handles a couple forums as an Super Moderator, I thought the point too forums was to help inform people and try to help them LEARN what they are asking about??? I guess I have been wrong for the past 6 years. Also what is wrong with my signature? It states just what I am looking to do and what I will do to help out others.

WOW so now we feel the need to pull out the experience card? Well I run many websites to, does this make me more knowledgeable or even pertain to this matter? NOPE

I SAID NOTHING ABOUT SPOON FEEDING ME DID I? NOPE!!!

And now we feel the need to yell!!! Are we a we bit defensive here?

I did my homework, and since you did not really read too see this, I got things in the order they were to be in, to continue on to my next step, after three days and multiple sites with information all over the place, I finally put it all together unlike most whom were looking to get a little info. So pardon me if I like to help out others, ask general questions, and try to learn something new, then teach others.

Good for you! That means you are like 1% of the population. I still sense hostility....

I guess when you first started off in ANY hobby, you must have known it all, and did not seek help? VERY DOUBTFUL.

NOPE! I started my tech life when forums did not exist. When you went and posted on a mailing list or the local BBS with a question, you were flamed for being stupid. I took the route of reading, reading more and yet reading more. If I had questions I worked on it until I got it correct. That's the way it went for me.

I spent a friggin week getting X working on my first install. And that was lots of all nighters tossed in. There is nothing wrong with research!

Maybe seeings how you like to troll and try to correct people whom are just asking general questions, you could use some of that "Higher" power tripping and put a "How to" guide together for DSD. Oh wait, that means you would have to try and help others, or I mean SPOON FEED THEM.

Now you insult me and call me a troll. You don't know me! I don't know you. But to be honest, I don't think you have the temperament to be a mod of anything. You take offense entirely to easy.

And yes, you and your comments are just typical of forums and boards across the net trying to make people feel lesser than you cause you are the "Man"....

Just LOL! I am the man of what? My house=yes... The net =no...

I am proud of what I know and I know what I know from hard work. If that makes me the man, I guess I am.

If you are so sour to people on forums, why you use them?

Now hopefully this weekend I will have this 100% as I dug out my old BC760XLT, and will be doing the "Fix" to it tonight or tomorrow, and then I should be able to just turn on the PC, run DSD plug in the scanner line and be off and running and out of the TROLLS hair!.

Thanks again,
Dafe.

Don't worry, I do harbor the knowledge to help you but I will refrain. You are therefore removed from the trolls hair.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.