DSD Windows Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Great work on the windows version! Quick question though... On my laptop I have to use one of the little USB sound dongles, and it seems to work pretty well for decoding. Just wondering though, how do I pipe the audio back thru the laptops speakers (on the internal sound card) instead of the headphone jack on the dongle? I'm currently using -O /dev/dsp and I'm unsure what to change it to.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I just went into my Windows settings and set playback to my laptop audio system.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ha... So sometimes the quick answer is actually the simple answer eh? I'll give that a try, thanks!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. I had a busy several days and missed this thread entirely until today. Works like a champ. I'm using the same Acer Aspire Netbook that I dual boot to Ubuntu on for DSD use. Works fine on the Windows side of the house, XP Pro SP3.

HDMechanic

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a usb sound card to youse on a notebook. I bought a cheap one a while ago and all I get is a hum threw my speakes. I'm thinking its my cheap unit that is causing all the noise and not alllowing the program to work for me.
Thanks for any help.

surfsup28

Hey guys, what a great program if i could get it to work properly....i am a newbie on this subject and have been trying to get this dsd program for windows to work. So much for linux (as im a linux newbie too) but umm thought the windows version would be easier. The program does show that its decoding but the voice is garbled...how can i fix this on the windows version ?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Might be encrypted. Have you checked that frequency with a digital scanner or the database here?

surfsup28

yep yep, the voice is not encrypted...can listen to the voice on the scanner.
Do you know if u can change the settings in the windows version somehow ? maybe some of the settings are incorrect.

DaveH

I installed this on an Acer netbook and get some decoding on Provoice and TRBO
but it's chopped. Decode rate seems well below 100%, typically up to ~66% on
TRBO. In the notes it suggests integrated sound using AC97 chipset offloads to
the CPU, which may not have enough horsepower (mine is 1.6GHz, single core
I believe, using Realtek audio). They suggest a PCI sound card if possible (not in this
case). Sounds like a USB sound dongle might work...any comments?

NXDN/Nexedge is used locally but didn't get a chance to try it as nothing was
active. Incidentally, Christie and Walther in Ottawa is just bringing online a bunch of
new UHF TRBO channels (about 8 across four sites).

Dave

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I decoded P25 audio (P25 CAI) using the program in post #3, no settings had to be tweaked. My PSR800 with the discriminator/IF set to headphone, patch cable from the headphone jack to the line in on my netbook. IF out volume was set to 13. (you don't want a high percentage on the DSD output screen - IIRC somewhere between 30% and 40% is best)

KC1UA

Database Admin
There are just so many variables with this software and the equipment being used. It requires a great deal of patience to get the levels right. I have found that 11-13% usually works best on the majority of PC's I've used, and then it will vary given what you're using as a discriminator output. Being able to adjust the output level from the PSR800 is definitely a plus.

Even the polarity differs from one setup to another. With my netbook I have to use reverse polarity (-xr switch) to receive mototrbo on a local power company frequency. On the same frequency but using another PC I run it in normal mode. This is the same whether I'm running it in Linux or via this new Windows port. One thing I am noticing is that my netbook, which is near flawless in Linux, is a lot pickier in Windows, and the audio seems to "pulse". On the PC I'm testing this on right now it is fine.

If your receive polarity is wrong, you will hear what sounds like constant garbled voice. Try reversing it to see if that solves the problem.

Lots of variables whether this is run in Linux or Windows, but well worth it when you find your "sweet spot".

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Again, awesome program to have for windows... Thank you for this. One quick question? How do I switch the polarity like some of you recommend? Thank you again

KC1UA

Database Admin
Again, awesome program to have for windows... Thank you for this. One quick question? How do I switch the polarity like some of you recommend? Thank you again

These are the mode related command line switches that can also be built into the .bat file for starting the program. This is a copy/paste from the README file included and is also part of the original DSD instructions.

-fa Auto-detect frame type (default)
-f1 Decode only P25 Phase 1
-fd Decode only D-STAR* (no audio)
-fi Decode only NXDN48* (6.25 kHz) / IDAS*
-fn Decode only NXDN96 (12.5 kHz)
-fp Decode only ProVoice*
-fr Decode only DMR/MOTOTRBO
-fx Decode only X2-TDMA
-ma Auto-select modulation optimizations (default)
-mc Use only C4FM modulation optimizations
-mg Use only GFSK modulation optimizations
-mq Use only QPSK modulation optimizations
-u <num> Unvoiced speech quality (default=3)
-xx Expect non-inverted X2-TDMA signal
-xr Expect inverted DMR/MOTOTRBO signal

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Total brain fart here... How do I open the batch file to play with these settings?

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
And are we talking about the .bat file labeled "Provoice" because this is the only .bat file I see. Thank you again

KC1UA

Database Admin
Total brain fart here... How do I open the batch file to play with these settings?

Make a copy of the existing one first and then right click on it and Edit.

Alternately, you can always go to Start > Run and enter cmd to get to a "dos" prompt, then path your way to the folder that you have the software installed in and run dsd followed by any of the previously attached switches. I just copied the .bat file and then made tweaks to them.

I've attached two I made for mototrbo in the included .zip file. Just unzip them into the same folder that contains the software.

Attachments

• mototrbo.zip
    286 bytes · Views: 774

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Outstanding.... When you open up the dsd.exe file, does that decode everything? Thank you again for your time with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.