DSDPlus DSDPlus 2.444 available

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So it's all working now? Any luck actually trunking with it and having voice traffic/calls diverted to the second copy?

One advantage is that with a 2-dongle setup you can monitor the CC 24/7, whereas you can only monitor the CC in a single-dongle instance when a voice call is not occurring. If there are other advantages I forget them. Probably aren't any other advantages though.

Mike

Haven't gotten any voice traffic and doesn't seem to be trunking. I'll stick to my single dongle, so much easier for me and it works :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Haven't gotten any voice traffic and doesn't seem to be trunking. I'll stick to my single dongle, so much easier for me and it works :)
Ok. Yeah single dongle is fine for me. But I thought you were testing two dongles to verify _that_ trunking was working (related to LimaZulu's issue). If you get a chance again at some point, could you try again? You could try on any system, P25, DMR, NXDN, whatever you have set up. His issue currently is with NXDN, but any type of system you could try it on would be great. I realize you may be busy right now. But if you have the opportunity to test again please do.

As far as "it doesn't seem to be trunking", you won't know unless you see Group calls listed on the left (CC instance) and those same Group Calls showing up on the right (VC instance). If there are simply no calls occurring because the system isn't busy, you aren't going to see anything on the VC instance.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Yeah single dongle is fine for me. But I thought you were testing two dongles to verify _that_ trunking was working (related to LimaZulu's issue). If you get a chance again at some point, could you try again? You could try on any system, P25, DMR, NXDN, whatever you have set up. His issue currently is with NXDN, but any type of system you could try it on would be great.

I was testing his issue and trying to get it to work on a local NXDN system I pick up fine with single dongle, tried multiple tweeks of the BAT file and never seemed to get it working. But I may try again on busy P25 system.

A few things I noticed is the CC instance does not start on a frequency, none in the BAT, the adjustment (-P) seems really high unless he is using old or cheap dongles, and he is trying to use FMP24 vs FMP24 VC and CC programs. There was also the question as to what -i he is using.

As far as "it doesn't seem to be trunking", you won't know unless you see Group calls listed on the left (CC instance) and those same Group Calls showing up on the right (VC instance). If there are simply no calls occurring because the system isn't busy, you aren't going to see anything on the VC instance.

The CC wasn't even listing frequencies and nothing was going to the VC instance. And I was getting an error of -5 as seen here on the VC side:

Capture.PNG

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is the exact problem I have.

That startup sequence was modified to exclude some depricated switches
here is the last one I tested with no success:

start DSDPlus -rv -i20006 -O NUL -fn -E
start FMP24 -i2 -rv -o20006 -e0 -b4 -g28 -z0 -P41.7
timeout /t 1
start FMP24 -i1 -o20005 -e0 -b4 -g19.7 -z0 -P45
start DSDPlus -rc -i20005 -O NUL -fn -E

I also tried with the bare minimum of switches to start trunk tracking - also no go.

Did all those, unfortunately nothing changed

As for the locked out TGs, no they are not but if they were, If I remember correctly, channel activity window shows L/O on those and I see nothing like that.

@LimaZulu @mtindor

Assuming the above works for you, in the first line (DSDPlus -rv) add the command -o1 (dash small OH followed by 1). This command outputs audio to speakers.

Here is the BAT files I used that ultimately worked for me, if you use it change the 453 freq to your control freq:

FMP24-CC
FMP24 -rc -i0 -o20002 -P0.0 -f453.1625

FMP24-VC
FMP24 -rv -i0 -o20001 -P0.0

BAT File To Run...
start FMP24-cc.bat
start DSDPlus -rc -i20002 -O NUL -fn -E
start DSDPlus -rv -i20001 -o1 -O NUL -fn -E
start FMP24-vc.bat

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

LimaZulu

What is the advantage of using two dongles vs 1?
One of the biggest advantages is setting up group priorities. When monitoring cc channel constantly when a group with higher priority becomes active VC instance of FMP24 immediately jumps to that channel where "action is".
One other thing, that I personally don't like on 1R, is when you listen to a conversation, event window always shows radio ID and alias of the first radio that keys up, no matter how many participants there are or how many times the frequency changes. If the next radio keys up before the time out appears that's always the caae. The only way to see who's currently talking is to keep your eyes on the channel activity window.
A few things I noticed is the CC instance does not start on a frequency, none in the BAT, the adjustment (-P) seems really high unless he is using old or cheap dongles, and he is trying to use FMP24 vs FMP24 VC and CC programs. There was also the question as to what -i he is using.
No frequency is entered in the bat file because I use option to start up the last monitored trunked system.
PPM correction is set precisely for my dongles. Yes, they are the cheap ones rtl devices. The blue one, bought way back in the years before they were so popular and were 4 bucks a piece :) I do have an SDRPlay one but is currently dedicated to other project :)
You actually lost me on "FMP24 vs FMP24 VC and CC programs". Isn't FMP24 only one and setting it's role by -rv amd -rc switches for being voice or cc?
@LimaZulu @mtindor

Assuming the above works for you, in the first line (DSDPlus -rv) add the command -o1 (dash small OH followed by 1). This command outputs audio to speakers.

Here is the BAT files I used that ultimately worked for me, if you use it change the 453 freq to your control freq:

FMP24-CC
FMP24 -rc -i0 -o20002 -P0.0 -f453.1625

FMP24-VC
FMP24 -rv -i0 -o20001 -P0.0

BAT File To Run...
start FMP24-cc.bat
start DSDPlus -rc -i20002 -O NUL -fn -E
start DSDPlus -rv -i20001 -o1 -O NUL -fn -E
start FMP24-vc.bat

View attachment 152120
Well, -o1 will output the audio to the first audio device which always happens to be the default output one. Not sure how is this related to the issue when I can't even make it to tune to a voice channel at all :)
Other than that I am mostly managing this computer over remote desktop which creates virtual "remote audio " device and no other one. So there's no other device to output to :) Anyway, will try to include that as well tomorrow. It doesn't hurt :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas and testing done for me. The mystery remains unsolved so please don't stop flow :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
One of the biggest advantages is setting up group priorities. When monitoring cc channel constantly when a group with higher priority becomes active VC instance of FMP24 immediately jumps to that channel where "action is".
One other thing, that I personally don't like on 1R, is when you listen to a conversation, event window always shows radio ID and alias of the first radio that keys up, no matter how many participants there are or how many times the frequency changes. If the next radio keys up before the time out appears that's always the caae. The only way to see who's talking is to keep your eyes on the channel activity window.

No frequency is entered in the bat file because I use option to start up the last monitored trunked system.
PPM correction is set precisely for my dongles. Yes, they are the cheap ones rtl devices. The blue one, bought way back in the years before they were so popular and were 4 bucks a piece :) I do have an SDRPlay one but is currently dedicated to other project :)
You actually lost me on "FMP24 vs FMP24 VC and CC programs". Isn't FMP24 only one and setting it's role by -rv amd -rc switches for being voice or cc?

Well, -o1 will output the audio to the first audio device which always happens to be the default output one. Not sure how is this related to the issue when I can't even make it to tune to a voice channel at all :)
Other than that I am mostly managing this computer over remote desktop which creates virtual "remote audio " device and no other one. So there's no other device to output to :) Anyway, will try to include that as well tomorrow. It doesn't hurt :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas and testing done for me. The mystery remains unsolved so please don't stop flow :)
I’ve got one more suggestion, that you may not want to do. Run both instances of MP 24 and both instances of DSD plus with administrative privileges and see what happens.

If, as part of a two dongle set up, files are created and written to quote on the fly quote to support the communication between the two copies, and there is not adequate permissions for her to do that, that could be an issue

Try to run everything with administrative privileges and let me know what happens

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I’ve got one more suggestion, that you may not want to do. Run both instances of MP 24 and both instances of DSD plus with administrative privileges and see what happens.

If, as part of a two dongle set up, files are created and written to quote on the fly quote to support the communication between the two copies, and there is not adequate permissions for her to do that, that could be an issue

Try to run everything with administrative privileges and let me know what happens

And also make sure you run everything from the same directory. You don’t want to be running two different copies from different folders if you are trying to get a two dongle set up to work

LimaZulu

That's actually bot bad suggestions at all. Will surely do that tomorrow and let you know the results.
And also make sure you run everything from the same directory. You don’t want to be running two different copies from different folders if you are trying to get a two dongle set up to work
I surely do. Although it's possible to run it from separate folders, I always prefer to have a single copy of a certain program in order to keep things clean and compact.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That's actually bot bad suggestions at all. Will surely do that tomorrow and let you know the results.

I surely do. Although it's possible to run it from separate folders, I always prefer to have a single copy of a certain program in order to keep things clean and compact.

I just confirmed that when 2-dongle trunking is active and a voice call comes in, a file name DSDPlus.VoiceActive is written temporarily. That file is "watched" by the other copy of DSDPlus.

I am betting that you have DSDPlus installed in a directory for which the logged in user is not allowed to create a new file. Wouldn't surprise me if 2-dongle trunking worked if you were to run all four apps as admin (or switch your DSDPlus folder to someplace where the logged in user has permissions to create stuff without elevating privs).

In fact, multiple files are created during a voice call, and then disappear after the voice call ends. DSDPlus.voiceactive is always created and then removed. Then there are per-call files that are created and then removed.

M

Attachments

• created.png
    created.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 17

LimaZulu

DSDPlus.VoiceActive is created when voice instance of DSD is actually decoding something. In my case I can't get to that point. However I see .traffic file is created which looks like that NEXEDGE48_L1115-1_0001_167.593750_GC_104_3582.traffic and it is basically protocol, network, site, channel, frequency, call type, gid, rid. I presume that this one should be "seen" by FMP voice instance in order to tune to the channel and then tuned-traffic and VoiceActive files ti be created but for some reason this is not happening.
Running everything as admin also does not help.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
DSDPlus.VoiceActive is created when voice instance of DSD is actually decoding something. In my case I can't get to that point. However I see .traffic file is created which looks like that NEXEDGE48_L1115-1_0001_167.593750_GC_104_3582.traffic and it is basically protocol, network, site, channel, frequency, call type, gid, rid. I presume that this one should be "seen" by FMP voice instance in order to tune to the channel and then tuned-traffic and VoiceActive files ti be created but for some reason this is not happening.
Running everything as admin also does not help.

I'm all out of suggestions :(

LimaZulu

Me too. Now that I am thinkig, I wanted to try two dongle setup on the newest version just to the test the issue I mentioned to you, a week ago :D

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Are we still talking about your issue where you are using two dongles to monitor an NXDN system but the voice traffic is not being sent to the VC copy of DSDPlus?

Code:
from your previous post:

start DSDPlus -rv -i20006 -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -_3
start FMP24 -i2 -rv -o20006 -a1 -e0 -b4 -g28 -z0 -P41.7 -_1
timeout /t 1
start FMP24 -i1 -o20005 -a1 -e0 -b4 -g19.7 -z0 -P45 -_1
start DSDPlus -rc -i20005 -O NUL -fn -E -v4 -_3

• Is -_# even an option in DSDPlus?
  • As a test, in CC/VC DSDPlus go into the menu, DECODER, select "Decode All Above Protocols"
  • On the CC DSDPlus, go into the menu, OUTPUT -- is "No digital voice synthesis" selected?
  • On the VC DSDPlus, go into the menu, OUTPUT -- is "Synthesize all digital voice" selected?
  • Also check CC/VC DSDPlus, go into the menu, CALL PRIORITIES -- and make sure Group/Private/Data are "Normal Handling"
  • Also make sure the talkgroups being received aren't locked out

Mike
Start FMP24 before DSDPlus in both instances.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Do you use priorities on talkgroups and radios? if so, verify that the threshold is set properly for your groups to be heard