DSDPlus with Yaesu FT-991a - no decoding of DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

athertop

Hi, I have signed up for fastlane today. Got DSD+ 2.256 setup, and my audio input correctly selected as the Audio CODEC presented by the yaesu (over usb) in Win10. I see the audio appear in the graph window when someone transmits DMR on the currently selected frequency (I have the yaesu on FM on WIDE (16k), but get no decoding happening. All I get is the encoded audio from the radio come out of the laptop speaker.

Started the app with the -rp switch (otherwise the input shows as greyed out, and defaults to network input only)
I have control set to 'passive digital monitor'
My input set to Microphone Audio CODEC (this is the Yaesu input)
Input, 'Monitor source audio if no sync and signal present' is selected (I tried them all)
Output, 'Synthesize All Digital Voice' is selected
Decoder, 'Decoding polarity auto detect', 'Decode DMR' selected

Not even attempting to decode the digital audio. Any advice would be great, thanks, Paul

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So you are using the Yaesu as the receiver, which is connected via USB to the PC? Depending on how the connection presents itself to the PC, DSD+ likely isn't seeing the audio coming in.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what that radio has for audio output but wouldn't you need discriminator audio rather than regular voice out the speaker to get the digital voice via DSDPlus?

athertop

Thanks for the advice. I have captured a short audio clip on DSDplus The clip is 42 seconds long, and I hear a transmission near the start of this but it doesn't sound as good as what I normally hear from DMR, but later in this clip there is a decent quality Tx (comparable with what I get normally) and this can be heard from 28s-39s. I put the file on my dropbox. Here is the link: DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2020-07-03@215955.wav

Many thanks, Paul

athertop

So you are using the Yaesu as the receiver, which is connected via USB to the PC? Depending on how the connection presents itself to the PC, DSD+ likely isn't seeing the audio coming in.
The Yaesu acts as a sound card. When connecting the USB to windows it appears as "USB Audio Codec" in Device Manager. In the sound controls it has both a Microphone and Speaker for this device, so Microphone is for receiving sound from the Yaesu and Speaker allows sound from the laptop to be fed back into the Yaesu which can be pushed through PTT for transmission by software over cat control. It also has two CAT control ports appear in device manager so that software can control the radio settings and PTT simultaneously. In DSDPlus, I hear the audio from the Yaesu over the speaker - I have Input assigned to the Microphone USB Audio Codec, and the output set to the PC Speaker.

Looks like this when running:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Look at your manual for the radio's Mini DIN jack. One of the available pins may output discriminator level audio. It could also be called a data or TNC (packet or ax.25) level output.
If that signal is not available, you'd need to figure out where a discriminator tap point is inside the radio and wire that to a jack.
I'm not sure if you can do it over USB. It may be a hardware output only for this model.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Another way and/or term to lookup is 9600 baud packet output from your radio, which should be unfiltered. You can get this from many yaesu radios via 2 pins of the mini-din connector.

athertop

The USB port sound card is supposed to output digital audio directly. I have found a youtuber who is decoding DMR using the 991a as source, so have left a comment asking what settings he used. Thanks all.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The USB port sound card is supposed to output digital audio directly. I have found a youtuber who is decoding DMR using the 991a as source, so have left a comment asking what settings he used. Thanks all.
There ya go! That's the way to do it if it works. It sounds like the OP is already setup to use a USB source so this should be an easy fix.

I was under the assumption that the USB output was filtered audio only. Perhaps a simple item in a menu needs to be changed to toggle the output type.

athertop

There ya go! That's the way to do it if it works. It sounds like the OP is already setup to use a USB source so this should be an easy fix.

I was under the assumption that the USB output was filtered audio only. Perhaps a simple item in a menu needs to be changed to toggle the output type.
Yes, but I have tried all the known settings used for decoding other digital formats (which work with fldigi and wljtx) but with no luck using DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.