DSDPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.

highmaster2

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
3
Location
Cropwell, Alabama
Still Struggling...

I'm stuck using MIC in so I built a box with a pot in it and ran the discriminator line through it. I have adjusted the input levels/resistance/DSD+ level up and down til I am blue in the face but I still can't get clear voice - still just bits and pieces. Though the way I have it set now, I do get the info in the DSD+ window with little or very few errors.

Saw the video on YouTube about DSD and it mentions changing the invert setting through a command line switch (xr or xR) in the batch file. That same switch is listed in the DSD+ readme. However, when I run it with that switch I get the message that it is not a valid parameter.

Open for any suggestions - not sure what else to try. May do a tap on my PSR-500 and try that. I'm grasping at straws.
 

W4UVV

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2002
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
42
Location
Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
A couple of recommendations

I'm stuck using MIC in so I built a box with a pot in it and ran the discriminator line through it. I have adjusted the input levels/resistance/DSD+ level up and down til I am blue in the face but I still can't get clear voice - still just bits and pieces. Though the way I have it set now, I do get the info in the DSD+ window with little or very few errors.

Saw the video on YouTube about DSD and it mentions changing the invert setting through a command line switch (xr or xR) in the batch file. That same switch is listed in the DSD+ readme. However, when I run it with that switch I get the message that it is not a valid parameter.

Open for any suggestions - not sure what else to try. May do a tap on my PSR-500 and try that. I'm grasping at straws.

I can receive about 25 MOTOTRBO and 50 P25 Phase 1 transmissions on my DSD and/or DSDPLUS system. Not one of the MOTOTRBO transmissions is inverted or "private". Occasionally on the Va state vhf P25 trs or two signals is encrypted and all also arel plus signals.

Both DSD and DSDPLUS default decoding are for plus signals. Do not worry about adding "-xr" or any other file extension. Tune to a strong known MOTOTRBO signal on the exact frequency.

You MUST control your input baseband audio signal level. As I previously have posted that my optimum audio input decoding level was 7% on my desktop. As previously posted resistance values for laptops may be much higher and may vary for different models. I say "may" because a friend who modified an old Uniden 780 for unfiltered audio used an inline 15,000 ohm resistor as input to his laptop mic and after adjusting the mic levels it worked fine. The laptop audio was not "hi fi" but quite understandable. The radio receive frequency should be within a few cycles. Optimum digital reception requires correct frequency tuning. Digital signal mistuning is not forgiving.

Data displays showing "+DMR" "Voice Header", "1/2 Data", etc. are good signs you are on a MOTOTRBO signal. Again, try to get the input audio signal level percent to 7%. Then BE PATIENT. Every MOTOTRBO signal is not voice. Many are system status polling transmissions. When you see a "Voice Header" display by that time you should be hearing somebody talking.

I recommend using only DSDPLUS installed at the drive C MS DOS root directory level. I found the audio quality was significantly improved and less "bassy" than using DSD. I tested 4 spare old computer external audio systems I had before I found one that sounded good with treble adjustment.

Mushy SSB sounding audio with an occasional word being understood does not mean the signal is inverted. In my case it meant my audio input impedance was mismatched. A recommended 10,000 ohm resistor did not work but when I changed it to 15,000 ohms the same signal decoded great. A laptop will have the same issues. Focus on the audio input % level and go from there. Typical audio decoding signal input levels range from 5-20 %.

Did you try using the RS dubbing cable as previously recommended?

John
 

woodpecker

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
733
Reaction score
47
I can receive about 25 MOTOTRBO and 50 P25 Phase 1 transmissions on my DSD and/or DSDPLUS system. Not one of the MOTOTRBO transmissions is inverted or "private". Occasionally on the Va state vhf P25 trs or two signals is encrypted and all also arel plus signals.

Whether or not you need DMR inversion is down to your system and whether the bits have been inverted, it is nothing to do with the transmission, you don't get inverted and non-inverted DMR.
 

highmaster2

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
3
Location
Cropwell, Alabama
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I need to try the 15k resistor. Everything I've tried so far has been from 100 - 300k. Tuning, according to the AR8200 display is dead on.

On the 7% - are you referring to the setting in windows for my mic in level? Also, what level should I be looking for at the top of the DSDPlus window?

Have not tried the attenuator cable. When I ohmed it out it only showed 210 ohms tip to tip and open tip to shield. All my connections are stereo so I would have to adapt somehow to try it.
 

W4UVV

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2002
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
42
Location
Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I need to try the 15k resistor. Everything I've tried so far has been from 100 - 300k. Tuning, according to the AR8200 display is dead on.

On the 7% - are you referring to the setting in windows for my mic in level? Also, what level should I be looking for at the top of the DSDPlus window?

Have not tried the attenuator cable. When I ohmed it out it only showed 210 ohms tip to tip and open tip to shield. All my connections are stereo so I would have to adapt somehow to try it.


Check your PM.

John
 

highmaster2

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
3
Location
Cropwell, Alabama
Encrypted DMR?

I have carefully tried everything that everyone has told me plus things from other threads & sites. Still not getting any usable voice from the MotoTrbo system. Using a Win 7 laptop with an I7 processor, a USB audio box that allows line in, Have tried DSDPlus, DSD141, DSD151 - 3 different scanners (all with disc taps) - all sorts of varied levels and resistances - even tried a Flux Capacitor (It worked well, but was giving me voice from a few days ago...)

With any of the 3 programs I get solid data "streams" that scroll whenever the repeater is broadcasting. Everything seems to work fine except no readable voice.

How would I know if this system in encrypted?
 

racingfan360

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
254
>With any of the 3 programs I get solid data "streams" that scroll whenever the repeater is broadcasting. Everything seems to work fine except no readable voice.

As W4UVV has mentioned, the vast majority of DMR traffic is DATA not VOICE. On some DMR systems this will be 100% data.

Have you seen any VOICE displayed on DMRDecode or in the DSD window? Even if the system is encrypted you will hear some voice - just that it's garbled.
 

br0adband

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
8
Location
Springfield MO
I have carefully tried everything that everyone has told me plus things from other threads & sites. Still not getting any usable voice from the MotoTrbo system. Using a Win 7 laptop with an I7 processor, a USB audio box that allows line in, Have tried DSDPlus, DSD141, DSD151 - 3 different scanners (all with disc taps) - all sorts of varied levels and resistances - even tried a Flux Capacitor (It worked well, but was giving me voice from a few days ago...)

With any of the 3 programs I get solid data "streams" that scroll whenever the repeater is broadcasting. Everything seems to work fine except no readable voice.

How would I know if this system in encrypted?

At any time during this monitoring are you seeing "Voice Header" scroll past in the DSD/DSD+ window to indicate that actual voice traffic is taking place at some point(s)? Some DMR/MOTOTRBO channels/frequencies are for control purposes just as control channels exist for trunked systems and they rarely if ever carry voice traffic. It does happen considering how many channels a DMR/MOTOTRBO system may have, but it's not a very common thing in my still somewhat limited expense of monitoring such comms.

If you find a DMR/MOTOTRBO stream on the waterfall and it just never stops transmitting, it's sure to be a control channel - DMRDecode will tell you a bit more about it in a somewhat cryptic manner. The thing to look for most of all would be the status at the bottom of the window (make the DMRDecode window somewhat thin but very wide so the status boxes along the bottom can show you all the actual info needed. If you see Data calls constantly from group to group or unit to unit it's most definitely a control channel, and if that's the case you'll need to find the voice channel frequencies for said system

Basic gist: if you find a DMR/MOTOTRBO transmission and you can hear the data stream - and I mean actually hear it - and DSD or DSD+ attaches to it and shows a voice decode in progress, then it just becomes a question of making sure you're piping the audio output of DSD or DSD+ is being sent to the proper audio device in your system so you can hear that instead of the data stream.
 

highmaster2

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
3
Location
Cropwell, Alabama
DSD/DMR Issues

FORTS: I am running DMRDecode. It seems to lag behind DSD a few seconds.

JHampton: I do see VOICE occasionally in both windows - that's when I hear the garbled voices. That's why I was beginning to wonder if it's encrypted. Garbled voice is all I've ever heard.

Br0adband: This system has one freq for PD & one for FD. They act the same whichever I monitor except that the PD is slightly stronger. The repeaters do not broadcast 100% of the time. In DMRDecode - when the repeater is transmitting, I get either yellow/green/red in the bar indicator at the bottom depending on what the input level is. I get SYNC when the repeater is transmitting. Not Logging 'cause I don't have it on. If voice comes up, I get Colour Code 1 / Ch. 1 Group Call to Group 3000 by 13600 (of course, the last number varies - I assume with whatever radio is keyed up)

My guess is that the repeater is transmitting about 80% of the time - of that, 95% or more is data with just a few % of voice frames.

If I hear the data stream, it's because I have the volume on the scanner open. All I hear on the laptop is the garbled voice. It does not seem to be affected by whatever the inlvl% is showing in the DSD window - whether it's 5% or 95% or anywhere in between the voice sounds the same. Right now I have the input level set so the the bar in DMRDecode stays green if the repeater is transmitting - that's 34 - 36% in the DSD window.
 

racingfan360

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
254
So this may be encryption......run DMRDecode. Make sure logging is enabled. Wait to capture some voice calls. Do you see any 'Privacy Enabled' like this below?

15:32:53 DMR Data Frame
CACH : TACT Ch 1 Last fragment of LC
Slot Type : Colour Code 1 Terminator with LC
Group Voice Channel User LC
Service Options : Non-emergency/Privacy Enabled/No priority
Group Address : 1 Source Address : 100
 

chudson584

Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Location
Jasper, AR
I'm running ubuntu studio. Latest release I believe. I read a comment on a post regarding DSDPlus and that they were able to run it under WINE. When I try to right click on the dsd+.exe and choose to run with Wine(Windows Loader), it does nothing. No response. Any idea's? Is there another way I can try to get it to run? Been reading great remarks on the plus. I'm really not the linux savy. Can get around it better than most people, but still not that great.
 

BM82557

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
5,724
Reaction score
5,746
Location
Berkeley Co WV
DSDPlus Logging option

Will using -I1440 create new Wav and Srt files with different names every day or will DSDPlus wipe the existing Wav and Srt files and create new ones with the default names of DSDPlus?
 

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,120
Reaction score
1,446
Location
Ontario, Canada
Each file will have a time/date stamp in the name... so each filename will be unique.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top