• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DTR700 vs. DLR110 for church security

KQ7D

I posted recently in this thread my needs for updated church security radios. I've finalized my choices between the DTR700 and the DLR110 as we are going with 900MHz radios.

My first choice would be the DTR700 as I think it would cover all of our needs. However, I'm now intrigued by the DLR110 due to its smaller form factor and simplicity (many on my church security and medical teams are not "radio people" and thus need things as simple as possible). We won't initially need the WiFi capabilities of the DLR110, but that's a nice future-proofing technology.

According to the reps at Buy Two Way Radios.com, I believe the DTR700 may have a slight range advantage due to the slightly longer antenna. But our range is high school campus sized, meaning we'll never push the mile long line of sight either of these radios can handle.

Our church is housed within the typical "prison build" high school; lots of concrete, brick, and metal. We also have the option of the essentially plug and play repeater offered for these radios, the Cane Wireless DRX1020 Digital Range Extender.

So I'm seeking advice and perspective for anyone who's had experience with either or both of these radios. I've got the budget approved for both, but if I go with the DLR110, I can also get the repeater, if needed.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A. I have used the DLR indoors and outdoors of a 40,000 sq. ft single story building with zero issues. Mostly indoors though with all kinds of metal racks and walls.
B. I have tested the DTR while inside my home and a buddy was in a moving vehicle. The signal faded fast at just under one mile. I have not tested using that extender.

Perhaps initially purchase two of each and test. If the DTR works, then you have two DLR's for people at the outer edge, or positioned in a bad RF area. Some areas will be less friendly to RF than others on the campus. Anyways, plan on purchasing at least one spare radio after you decide because things break, or you may want to add another person.

* Final note: Do not use the factory default settings.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
KQ7D, just a quick FYI, if you're looking for a cheaper alternative -- you could go with the Retevis RT10 which are 900 meg ISM. You don't need a license with them -- unless you use them on HAM frequencies.

They're analog and digital right out of the box. It also supports DMR or a new version of Dual Slot DMR (full rate.) I know it sounds fancy and all but they're very easy to program. If you really needed secure voice then you could use enhanced encryption.

Two radios are just over $100 -- or use to be -- I haven't priced them lately. They aren't perfect but they're quite a bit cheaper than the DTR units.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
However, I'm now intrigued by the DLR110 due to its smaller form factor and simplicity (many on my church security and medical teams are not "radio people" and thus need things as simple as possible).
….
So I'm seeking advice and perspective for anyone who's had experience with either or both of these radios. I've got the budget approved for both, but if I go with the DLR110, I can also get the repeater, if needed.

No personal experience with these radios.

However, I do run digital simplex on 800MHz, and it works pretty well for this kind of application.

The average non "radio people" will pick up the radio and start poking at it, twisting knobs, shoving the antenna in their ear, etc. The first thing that goes down is the channel/talkgroup gets changed. I don't know why people do this, but it's something to consider when you are dealing with non-tech types. The "keep it simple stupid" thing applies here. 27 years of doing this professionally, and I learned this pretty quickly.

The ideal radio to hand a non-tech type is one that has a single knob that only turns it on/off and adjusts the volume. Anyone can figure that out without training. Push To Talk comes naturally.
Anything else that's added to the radio, no matter how cool the function may seem, is going to result in problems. Problems will be viewed as a failure. The person holding the money will not like failures, no matter how well intended the programming of the radio is.

Simple is better. Fancy functions just confuse non-radio type users. Don't fall into that trap.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
First things first: The RT10 radios would not be legal to use in the U.S. unless each operator has an amateur radio license. There's a thread already on RR about these radios.

I have the RT10 33cm (900 MHz) radios. They can do analog or DMR and encryption on DMR. They do work, but as mmckenna noted, there are buttons and knobs and haywire is a thing. I made myself a cheat-sheet PDF of the various zones and channels I have programmed in as there is no display. The RT10 does not have the FHSS feature like the DLR and DTR radios.

If you, or anyone goes this route, I recommend disabling the side buttons by setting them to none in the program. This will leave you with just one zone, which is 16 channels and just program all 16 the same, so it works no matter what channel someone selects using the knob on top. As to the encryption options, there are basic and enhanced. I use the basic. When I tested the enhanced, one could potentially discern what was being said. Enhanced = sucks on those radios.

I don't remember if I performed a simplex distance test on them, so no feedback there.

BinaryMode

I'm not sure about the DLR, but the DTR line of two-way radios have free programming software (CPS) at Motorola's website. You'll also need the programming cable. You will want to program them from default settings as was mentioned...

Both two-way radios will more than likely suffice for a high school sized building. I have experience with the DTR line of two-way radios.

KQ7D

Has anyone used the rental program with Motorola? Motorola customer support has been unhelpful as there are two different business groups for the DTR700 and the DLR110 that don't communicate with one another (ironic).

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Has anyone used the rental program with Motorola? Motorola customer support has been unhelpful as there are two different business groups for the DTR700 and the DLR110 that don't communicate with one another (ironic).
That sounds about right. :p

nokones

Premium Subscriber
If you are considering using used DLR and/or DTR or other ISM 900 MHz radios from eBay or Amazon resellers, be very very careful on where they are being shipped from. If they are being shipped from another country they may or may not be compatible or function in the United States with FCC Type-Accepted ISM radios.

Last edited:

KQ7D

If you are considering using used DLR and/or DTR or other ISM 900 MHz radios from eBay or Amazon resellers, be very very careful on where they are being shipped from. If they are being shipped from another country they may or may not be compatible or function in the United States with FCC Type-Accepted ISM radios.
When we purchase, it will be through Buy Two Way Radios. Their customer service has been excellent.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
DTR700s for leaders, DLR1020s for others. DTR700 may be programmed to call specific units only as needed. Less experienced users will have no trouble with operation of DLR1020w. DLR1020s may also make private replies. All ISM band units, licensed by rule. Just be certain to not have the units programmed by default and set the 4 digit privacy code to a unique value. DTR 700s may use all call, addressable calls or private peer to peer. This is in the programming and addressing on the free configuration software.