• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Church security radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
There is a man I cannot name that is on a NATIONAL TERROR LIST in our area that has sit in Church Parking Lots for hours before sneaking in and getting caught inside the Church. He has been found at Churches in at least 4 to 5 States. Is this good enough for you to take Security Serious.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I would just use some radios on FRS with a DPL.

If it really needed to be secure, why not purchase a WiFi router along with some spread out access points connected with the router and use whatever walkie talkie app that works on iOS and Android. One could probably text as well if background noise was an issue. I don't think Zello would be an option if your WiFi is a closed system (no Internet) but otherwise have fun with whatever app that works both platforms. Only dole out the router password to those that need to know.

I would scan the 2.4 MHz channels first in case the church uses wireless mics, or whatever may be close by. Then just set the router to use the weakest signal channel. Also, if anyone complains they can't get Internet access while connected...I thought they were at church.
But a simple $15 deauthor device will toss all WiFi radios off the network rendering them all useless to anyone who knows what they are doing. All the bunglers and home invasion people around here are using that along with other devices to jam cameras and alarm systems.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
There is a man I cannot name that is on a NATIONAL TERROR LIST in our area that has sit in Church Parking Lots for hours before sneaking in and getting caught inside the Church. He has been found at Churches in at least 4 to 5 States. Is this good enough for you to take Security Serious.
Is he scanning for radios or listening to church comms?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Feds never said but has been arrested multiple times for trespassing both large and small Churches.
He was dangerous enough for the feds to notify Churches to be on the lookout for him and his vehicle he drives.

bill4long

why not purchase a WiFi router along with some spread out access points connected with the router and use whatever walkie talkie app that works on iOS and Android.

You stole my thunder. They can get LTE or 5G based WIFI which has nothing to do with the school. At work, we use Peplink routers for just such situations. But of course, if one is just wanting WIFI and not Internet connectivity, any old WIFI will do.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I can still kill the coms with a $15 deauthor device.
Indeed. Those devices are interesting, especially when paired with 2.4 GHz Yagi antenna and the range they can achieve. Their small size is also wild. Even a mediocre 2.4 GHz antenna one could easily conceal would enhance the range/destruction. Can you imagine using your RF knowledge for nefarious things the "kids" would never consider? Devastating.

Anyways, perhaps look at the WiFi solution as a low cost redundancy, along with your initial recommendation of inexpensive radios using FRS frequencies. I mean one could jam the FRS comms with one of those $12.50 radios you suggested as well. There's only so much low cost solutions will provide before having to step it up to something like FHSS and even then one can make the RF environment unfriendly. What's that saying, two is one and one is none?

At the end of the day, one would have to make an effort just to disrupt a church's communication. That's if they happen to catch the traffic/freq on what would be minimal comms.

! WAIT ! - I have the solution! Just learn and use sign language. Works fine in any noisy environment. Although, it is dependent on line of sight. ;) Seriously though, decades ago a partner and I developed our own subtle hand gesture short cuts where using a radio was not an option. It worked very well to thwart the bad people.

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Indeed. Those devices are interesting, especially when paired with 2.4 GHz Yagi antenna and the range they can achieve. Their small size is also wild. Even a mediocre 2.4 GHz antenna one could easily conceal would enhance the range/destruction. Can you imagine using your RF knowledge for nefarious things the "kids" would never consider? Devastating.

Anyways, perhaps look at the WiFi solution as a low cost redundancy, along with your initial recommendation of inexpensive radios using FRS frequencies. I mean one could jam the FRS comms with one of those $12.50 radios you suggested as well. There's only so much low cost solutions will provide before having to step it up to something like FHSS and even then one can make the RF environment unfriendly. What's that saying, two is one and one is none?

At the end of the day, one would have to make an effort just to disrupt a church's communication. That's if they happen to catch the traffic/freq on what would be minimal comms.

! WAIT ! - I have the solution! Just learn and use sign language. Works fine in any noisy environment. Although, it is dependent on line of sight. ;) Seriously though, decades ago a partner and I developed our own subtle hand gesture short cuts where using a radio was not an option. It worked very well to thwart the bad people.
Since the deauthor is not a jammer, a big antenna is not necessary. There is rumor one was tested on an airplane flight where WiFi was the only source of movies and entertainment on the long flight. I hear there were a lot of angry passengers.

Meanwhile a church in my area is getting good use out of their $12.50, 2 watt FRS radios with not much to worry about. No license needed, no encryption, nobody cares, no problem.

KQ7D

Are we turning a simple request for better Church security communications into something a little bigger? With electronic counter counter measures as a pre-curser to a physical attack?

Thanks
Joel
I appreciate all the input, even if it goes farther afield than my originally broad request.

Our specific needs are semi-unique in that our building is a school rather than a purpose built church. But so far, it looks like the Motorola DTR700 should cover just about every scenario in terms of reliable communication.

But I do appreciate all the alternative suggestions, because it may take us a short while to get the budget for the "best" solution. Even if we get WiFi approval in the short term, I still favor radio communication (non-cellular, non-repeater) comms because they are ultimately the most reliable. WiFi can fail, as I suppose can any technology, but I'm a radio purist and favor radio frequency communication whenever possible.

I value and appreciate this community of very knowledgeable radio folks. Thank you.

KC3ECJ

@KQ7D
As a security agent, retired Firefighter and 2way radio technician I will say this.
Using any type of Family Service GMRS radios is as usless as SCREEN DOORS on SUBMARINES.
1. You are talking Security. Why would you want it to be in the clear for all to hear? Apply for a SIMPLEX Licenese buy some decent used commercial digital radios turn on ENCRYPTION and have clear secure communications.
2. Would you install a ALARM SYSTEM and post the USER CODE on the Entry Door?
It depends on the kind of security or environment.
I've worked security at many places.
Some of which where I've used a radio, what we said would be of little value or outdated quickly.

KK6HRW

It depends on the kind of security or environment.
I've worked security at many places.
Some of which where I've used a radio, what we said would be of little value or outdated quickly.
But I remember when it was illegal to have a ‘police radio’ (receiver) in a car…

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It still is in some states.
Ky comes to mind.
Drive down the road in your car with your Hacked APX8000 and let a KSP Officer stop you and see it. It will be taken you will lose it in a court of law it will be disposed of according to Ky Law.

bill4long

It still is in some states.
Ky comes to mind.
Drive down the road in your car with your Hacked APX8000 and let a KSP Officer stop you and see it. It will be taken you will lose it in a court of law it will be disposed of according to Ky Law.

Please provide references to cases where this has occurred

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I feel sorry for the OP. How about let's get back to actually helping him and stop all the other crap. One warning and no need to reply to this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.