TRX-1: "E" of encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECB85

Hello, my trx-1 does not show the "E" of encryption in a communication, where the option is enabled?
Thank you.

Quint-1-29

Premium Subscriber
The "E" for Encryption will show when the Scanner identifies an Encrypted transmission and/or channel - talkgroup.

ECB85

Because mine receives an encrypted communication,
But does not display the E on the screen.??

ECB85

Ok, if it can be voice inversion, because the "E" does not appear.
In digital system there is also the voice inversion.
i did not know.
thanks,sibbley

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Ok, if it can be voice inversion, because the "E" does not appear.
In digital system there is also the voice inversion.
i did not know.
thanks,sibbley

I believe basic encryption is no more than voice inversion. I have several users on DMR systems that are using "encryption" which shows no "E" on my Whistlers.

BrianG61UK

Could be voice inversion, not encryption.

Unlikely on a digital transmission. The low bit rate speech only encoding used only encodes speech well, not inverted speech.

Has anyone actually seen the E ?

The E will obviously only show on systems where the transmission actually contains a flag or something to say it's encrypted.

It's probably possible in some cases to encrypt and the resulting transmission just ends up, as far as the scanner is concerned, indistinguishable from a normal transmission of a weird sound.

racingfan360

Unlikely on a digital transmission. The low bit rate speech only encoding used only encodes speech well, not inverted speech.
Has anyone actually seen the E ?

Under test conditions, I can get it to show for Conventional NXDN, but only when the channel has been stored as a memory channel. Oddly it doesn't show when the same transmission is detected/decode using Limit Search. Whistler have stated to me they 'don’t handle any manufacturer-specific encryption' s don't expect to see E on DMR then.

Most of the symbol displays on my TRX1 are just weird, with lots of false positives. T will always display in some shape or form wen decoding Conventional NXDN, even though its clearly conventional and nothing to do with trunking. And there are still many display differences exhibited between search and scan modes, despite decoding the same transmission. Despite several bug reports and correspondences, Whistler don't seem to recognize the issues as bugs which I find amazing. As they're so unreliable, I now have to ignore the T/E symbols. Still can't even read the decoded NXDN TGID and Unit ID as they flash through so quickly. Its the simple things like this that are extremely frustrating with what could (and given the cost, should) be a great scanner.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Your not seeing the E because it is probably a TDMA communication your are hearing the encryption on whether it be phase 2 p25 or DMR. The encryption packets are sent over the air differently due to there being two slots and not just a single transmission on the frequency. Basically when monitoring a TDMA transmission the scanner doesn't know know that it is encrypted because it never recieved the encryption header in the data stream. Well it recieved it but does not know how to interpret it so the little E will not show up and it will pass the encrypted audio. Trust me it's not voice inversion if it's digital it's a keyed encryption code. The scanner just doesn't understand that the transmission is encrypted. Both uniden and whistler model scanners are effected by this issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

W3DMV

The post has the location listed as Spain !
Perhaps it's tetra or other mode. Very little info
found for that country...

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
The post has the location listed as Spain !
Perhaps it's tetra or other mode. Very little info
found for that country...
Yeah but I doubt he would try and decode tetra with a trx-2. I mean it was never advertised to decode tetra and I very much doubt it does. I thinks he listening to DMR. Could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ECB85

Ok, tetra works in Spain from 380 to 420mhz.
Most important state security services.
thanks to all.

mandcaff

I get an E on a TG that is used for drug enforcement under cover ops. I can still hear what is being said, although there is what sounds like a busy dial tone at the end of transmission.I wonder if they think in is encrypted when it actually is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.