eBay Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjxii

Although I really shouldn't be browsing eBay, with my receiver addiction, I do it anyway and just noticed something unusual. There are currently six Drake R-7s listed, five newly listed withing the past 24 hours and four of those are from Japan (I'm guessing the same seller). Most times there are none or one (on occasion two but not often). All are at least $1200-1600 as expected but there's actually one for $800 plus shipping that has only the stock 2.3 kHz filter. If I didn't already have a loaded R7A I'd grab it!

I like to follow the going prices for shortwave receivers on eBay, individual models usually cycle up and down somewhat over the course of a few years (except for the real rarity). With the sunspot cycle at an absolute low point, it surprises me that receiver prices overall aren't really down. Finding a tabletop model under $200 is rare these days, except for Realistic DX-150/160/200s. Better but still basic DX-302s, Kenwood R-600 and R-1000s are hovering near $300 at a minimum.

Something I find odd is that Yaesu FRG-7s are often listed for more than FRG-7700s. I've never used a 7 but owned a Standard CR-6500 which is very similar, and though it was very nice the 7700 is a better receiver, especially when the memory unit is added.

Icom R-70s may be the best bang for the buck on eBay. Damn nice receiver and usually $400 or sometimes less. Sometimes wish I never sold mine (how often do I say THAT)...

mbott

Premium Subscriber
When looking at ebay, I'm as selective with the dealer as I am with what I'm looking for/at. I've made 3 ebay receiver purchases and it is no surprise to me that they have all come from the same dealer. I spent about two weeks studying the dealers before making my first purchase.

--
Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The problem with most all those radios is that they're likely going to need a lot of work to bring them up to spec. Capacitors are the most common failure, followed by corroded solder joints. It's almost impossible to find anyone qualified and skilled enough to work on them, and it would cost more than it's probably worth. If you can tackle it yourself, then you could end up with a nice radio.

I think you're better off to buy current technology if you want the best performance and capabilities.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The problem with most all those radios is that they're likely going to need a lot of work to bring them up to spec.

There are several eBay sellers who specialize in selling exceptionally clean and refurbished radios. They'll replace caps, memory batteries, etc. I bought an R-7000 from one that looks and acts new, and a couple of WJ receivers from another that are museum quality.

The downside is, none of these were the cheapest examples on sale.

pjxii

The problem with most all those radios is that they're likely going to need a lot of work to bring them up to spec. Capacitors are the most common failure, followed by corroded solder joints. It's almost impossible to find anyone qualified and skilled enough to work on them, and it would cost more than it's probably worth. If you can tackle it yourself, then you could end up with a nice radio.

I think you're better off to buy current technology if you want the best performance and capabilities.

I absolutely agree with everything you stated. I just have a strong dislike of SDRs which is the current technology. For someone like me who is old school, it is well worth the expense of sending a newly purchased older receiver to someone to replace components.

Luckily for me, I'm at a point now where I've either owned or used much of DXing.com's Modern Receiver Survey and there's really nothing that I feel a need to try out unless it's something for a specific need that I've had my eye on for a long time. And I agree that scrutinizing the seller is just as important as the item I'm purchasing. A good seller will make it worth spending a bit more over another.

Boombox

Most of the classic radios you mention are holding high prices because they are well known amont SWL's as receivers from the past, and are collector items.

As for the FRG-7, I have an original one and the caps are fine. Yaesu used high quality components.

FRG-7's are well known also as a collector radio (as well as being a very good SWL and excellent MWDX radio) so that would also determine their high pricing. Being analog, there was little to actually break. No LCD displays, or digital stuff to go haywire. Guys also remember either having them or seeing the brochures in the 70's and 80's when they were getting into the hobby.

As for a new radio, if I were looking right now I'd get a Tecsun, and if it worked well and I liked it, I'd get a back up, and make sure it worked. Tecsuns are relatively cheap and work well. And because conditions are poor, and will remain so through most of the next cycle, and because of the reduction in broadcast stations, I can't see how it would make an additional $1000 expense worth it. Unless you are hunting utility digital signals, then I suppose the SDR/Wellbrook loop thing is the way to go.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
There are guite a few decent portables available today. I still have an eye out for the Eton/Grundig Executive Satellit that I know to be a very good performer. But being the old school person I am, I prefer a tabletop receiver. Unfortunately, tabletop receivers currently in production are a very limited number.

I thought that picking up the Icom IC-7300 would provide the encouragement to me to finally get my ticket. Well, that has yet to turn out that way. Buying transceivers to just to use half of it is not the solution to the lack of tabletop receivers.

I did look at the Icom R8600 when it came out, but there is a lot of expensive capability there that I will just not use. I rarely go above 30mHz.

So, if the urge to add to my tabletops strike me, I have no problem in returning to the ebay well.

--
Mike

pjxii

Most of the classic radios you mention are holding high prices because they are well known amont SWL's as receivers from the past, and are collector items.

Very true! This is the reason for my receiver addiction, I grew up looking at the ads. Still, they do tend to cycle if you follow prices like I do. Just surprised that with low sunspots prices haven't come down for some.

As for the FRG-7, I have an original one and the caps are fine. Yaesu used high quality components.

FRG-7's are well known also as a collector radio (as well as being a very good SWL and excellent MWDX radio) so that would also determine their high pricing. Being analog, there was little to actually break. No LCD displays, or digital stuff to go haywire. Guys also remember either having them or seeing the brochures in the 70's and 80's when they were getting into the hobby.

Another thing I like about the FRG-7 (though I never bought one) is the ability to run it off internal batteries. These are the reasons I picked up a Sony ICF-6800W a number of years ago. If the digital readout dies I still have the analog dial. I got lucky finding one that I knew had the PLL problem fixed which is the known issue with that model. It's been a great performer for six years now... Supposedly the '6700 doesn't suffer from it, but that doesn't have the same analog dial.

As for a new radio, if I were looking right now I'd get a Tecsun, and if it worked well and I liked it, I'd get a back up, and make sure it worked. Tecsuns are relatively cheap and work well. And because conditions are poor, and will remain so through most of the next cycle, and because of the reduction in broadcast stations, I can't see how it would make an additional $1000 expense worth it. Unless you are hunting utility digital signals, then I suppose the SDR/Wellbrook loop thing is the way to go.

I've gotten into utilities the past few years which is why I lean toward the tabletops. I did pick up a Panasonic RF-B65 last year for a bargain price and its very good, nice and stable SSB reception. Nice to have for a carry around, but not in the class of the bigger receivers.

Boombox

^^^^ Hold onto that RF-B65. I have read nothing but good about that radio.

The B-65 is of the last Japanese made Panasonics (I have the last Japanese made model, the RF-B45, which is awesome on MW and excellent on SW).

Status
Not open for further replies.