Edmonton Fire Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

devile

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know where the automated voice went? They aren't 'dispatching' the calls by 'voice' anymore. Seems as though it's just going through their pagers or imobile...

Just curious if anyone knows. :)

SCPD

QRT
I will have a listen and check my Etrunker ... to see what they are doing.

EDIT .. After listening .. I would say that they are having problems with the automated dispatch. They are voicing limited info to the fire units on Fire Dispatch. I'm sure that we will see it back to normal in a matter of hours or days. I am not concerned .. as I have seen this before and they always seem to go back to the automated dispatch.

Last edited:

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
About once a week they go on manual. Usually they are able to give units lots of notice that it's happening. Very odd that it would be out for the weekend. Must have been an actual outage.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Today EFR are on Manual dispatch again. It was confusing hearing them using the Edmonton police alert tone for dispatches. During the shut down their AVL (Automatic Vehicle locator?) does not work.

Pump 28 was dispatched to a seniors residence and he was on the move and said they shouuld try to dispatch Hall 24 which is just a block away. Fortunatly when on manual fire stations monitor dispatch listening for calls. Pump 24 answered and responded to the call.

Every Monday morning from 10 AM until Noon EFRS switches to manual dispatching. The reason for this is to make sure everyone is up to speed in case the automated dispatch and iMobile goes offline. By scheduling the manual dispatch for Monday mornings, every platoon is able to have their turn at manual dispatch at least once every month or so.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Both Edmonton Fire and Parkland Fire are using some new codes. They call fire hydrants 65's. Something else are 38's. Does anyone know all of these new codes and whether they are used outside of the Edmonton area?

The 38's were both apartment fires so could be stand pipes.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Refers to the diameter in millimeters of the hoselines.

38mm = "inch and a half"
44mm (some use '45') = "inch and three quarters"
65mm = "two and a half" ("twin 65s" = two lines of 2 1/2 laid in parallel)
77mm = three inch
100mm = four inch
125mm = five inch

100 or 125 may be termed "high-vol" (for high-volume hose) - or LDH for large diameter hose.

In Redwood we started using these terms over 15 years ago... some departments are still using the imperial measurements.

Our handlines are 44mm (we did away with 38mm hose several years ago), our "large handlines" and standpipe etc hoses are 77mm, and our hydrant and supply lines are either 100 or 125 depending on which truck it is (some trucks use 100 because the hydrants are set up with fittings of that diameter, while the 125mm trucks are designed for rural operations where we'll draft from a body of water with suction hose).

Status
Not open for further replies.