• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ 5100ES Programming - Issues getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfletc21

Hi all,

I was explaining my issue to a friend familiar with these radios and he suggested I post here.

I'm going to data dump just to try to get ahead of any clarifying questions.

I am using PCConfigure 2.18.6
The driver I have downloaded is FTDI21228 version 2.12.28.0
I am using a BlueMax49ers cable made to support EF J 5100 radios.

I am getting a "Communication Problem During Upload" error. I can repeat this by just disconnecting the radio leading me to believe I have a faulty cable.

I have tried using COM ports 1,3, and 5.

I notice the cable instructions say to leave the port setting to 9600 baud, however in PCConfigure, 9600 is greyed out as un-selectable. I tried leaving the port setting at 9600 baud and the software set to 19200 baud. I also tried setting the port setting up to 19200 baud. Neither fixed the error.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

My current assumptions are that I have a faulty connection to the radio, perhaps a lemon cable.

Attachments

• cap2.PNG
    cap2.PNG
    269 KB · Views: 29
  • cap3.PNG
    cap3.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 29
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    314.1 KB · Views: 27
  • cap4.PNG
    cap4.PNG
    215 KB · Views: 24

Station51

Not experienced with the EF Johnson 5100ES series, but I do have the 7514 HTs which require a really slow machine (32 bit OS)
Check to see if your programming will run an a 64 bit machine unless of course you have a 32 bit computer. I have one just for programming old radios like the Johnsons and Motorola GP and GM series.

On another note....I AM NOT SAYING THAT BlueMax49ers cables don't work. He seems to be very knowledgeable and swears by his cables.
Having said that...I purchased a cable on eBay from him that I was never able to get working. It could have been the programming I was using or even the computer, I just threw my hands up after a couple of days later and moved on.

And a silly afterthought I assume you have the radio powered up and ON lol

Last edited:

sfletc21

My machine is 64 bit. I'm actually on a MacBook with a partitioned hard drive running Windows 10... working with what I've got.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
million dollar question. what the version on display when turning radio on? PC Configure versions are tied to specific radio software.

thorium

I’ve got radios with 6.16.18 coming, what’s the corresponding pc configure version? Thanks!

Station51

million dollar question. what the version on display when turning radio on? PC Configure versions are tied to specific radio software.
Either within this forum or on eham.net (reviews section) I saw discussion about the different versions of this radio and their characteristics.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of these radios. It is unlikely that they can be made to work with macbook.due to USB ports not being able to work the same as Windows. My experience for reliable programming is a Windows XP computer with a true serial cable. 64 bit isn't a good choice either. Sorry for the bad news, but older radios and software often have these problems.

sfletc21

I have a couple of these radios. It is unlikely that they can be made to work with macbook.due to USB ports not being able to work the same as Windows. My experience for reliable programming is a Windows XP computer with a true serial cable. 64 bit isn't a good choice either. Sorry for the bad news, but older radios and software often have these problems.

That's unfortunate. Time to see if I can find an older computer..

sfletc21

In the picture "cap2" on the original post, the computer is recognizing the device being entered into the USB port. The USB Serial Port (COM X) only shows up when I plug in the cable. Guess I'm suggesting that maybe the usb port will work properly. I also have a mouse plugged into another USB port working normally.

sfletc21

ONE other thing you might try is a program called "DOS BOX" which is supposed to simulate DOS.
Not sure if it works on a MAC, but might be worth looking into. I'm guessing the USB and 64 bit may remain an issue.

Worth a shot! I'll give it a go. Looks like a way for people to run old video games on new computers.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
ONE other thing you might try is a program called "DOS BOX" which is supposed to simulate DOS.
Not sure if it works on a MAC, but might be worth looking into. I'm guessing the USB and 64 bit may remain an issue.

I don't think any versions of PCConfigure will run on DOS. My money is on the Mac ports not being compatible with the FTDI chip for whatever reason.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Thanks!

Now I just need to find someone with a KFDtool and cables that wants to make $100 to load a key on my 4 radios... or wait to the equipment is in stock and spend $300 on it for my own one time use.

I can keyload 5100s. It appears you don't have enough posts here for me to PM you yet.

thorium

I can keyload 5100s. It appears you don't have enough posts here for me to PM you yet.

thanks, I’m a long time reader just never really posted. You can email me if you don’t mind: Bret (at) bretbingham (dot com). If mods are reading this please remove the restrictions on my account, I’m a real person not a spammer or ner do well!

I’m also getting moderated and had tried to post this for the OP:

have you tried to run pc configure in “compatibility mode” in windows

gtaman

Thanks!

Now I just need to find someone with a KFDtool and cables that wants to make $100 to load a key on my 4 radios... or wait to the equipment is in stock and spend $300 on it for my own one time use.
Just keyload with DES. I run all mine that way. 90 aftermarket keyload cable and a Moto 3011DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.