EMF Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnovakoff

Hi,

I just got an ElectroSensor EMF Detector because I live about 500 feet from large power lines and wanted to see if I could read anything in milligauss.

When I use it, if I point it level, it typically reads 0. But if I point it up or down it goes up to 4. If I got to my 2nd floor, same thing. 0 at level, 4 when pointing up or down.

I did this with all ceiling lights off as well. Anyone know why? Could this be reading EMFs from the power lines?

Oh, I did test it by taking a reading from an active microwave, which does send the thing off the charts!

Thanks,
Dave

slicerwizard

For the same reason scanners don't work very well if you lay them (and their antennas) on their side.

"The pick-up coil is located in the tip of the unit which can be rotated for increased directionality."

"It senses EMF radiation thru a one axis mobile sensor head"

Google "signal polarization" if you still don't get it.

prcguy

You would have to use the single axis meter within its limitations in mind or buy a tri axis meter. However, beware of the accuracy unless you get a professional caliberated meter. I recently got a Trifield 100XE which measures magnetic, electric and RF fields.

I compared the Trifield RF side to a calibrated and industry standard NARDA RF/microwave level meter and the Trifield is off by a good 10X. The Trifield will pick up my microwave oven at about 6ft and shows its way above 1mw/cm2 (OSHA standard for public places) at a foot or so away and the NARDA says its well below that level right at the door seal.

The Trifield also shows EMF from a passive speaker I have connected to one of my HF radios is dangerous at a couple of feet. The meter is responding to the voice coil and wiggles with the sound from the speaker. Its hard to believe the field from a little 3" speaker is a health hazard and my conclusion is these meters are ok for locating various fields and comparing intensities but otherwise do not count on them for accurate readings. An accurate meter for measuring the various fields is usually very expensive and you basically get what you pay for.

The Trifield meter is popular with the tin foil hat crowd and I can now see why they are thrown into a tizzy with some of the erroneous readings provided by that meter.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.