EMWIN on VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_19

I found this page on the EMWIN website and was wondering if these transmissions are frequent or hard to come by. Also whether anybody knows of any of these being transmitted in the northern Indiana area.

I found a post on here from 2008 stating a EMWIN transmision on 163.325 from chicago but it must have ended or I'm to far from it.

DisasterGuy

In general I do not believe that the NWS itself is performing VHF re-transmission any longer and where it does exist it is being done by the Emergency Management community. I am currently investigating providing re-transmission on VHF to ensure EMWIN reception at a back-up EOC and from a mobile command center. Tentatively this would involve a GEOS receiver capable of providing VHF re-transmission as well as an interface to allow the output of specific APRS Weather Net stations to be re-broadcast in batches as local content. Part of the issue is that I am finding very little information about VHF EMWIN installations to begin with. I have a Zephyrus WX-3 receiving that I cant even find a manual or any additional information on.

KA9QPN

DuPage County transmitted EMWIN until a lightning hit to the transmitter in 2000. Will County OEM retransmits EMWIN on 163.325mHz. The tower is in Frankfort, so YMMV. Plus, the software and modems for decoding EMWIN are pretty much antiques. Unless you have an old pre WinME computer with a serial port to dedicate to it, you are going to have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.