Encryption or Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4DOB

I have successfully loaded 1,000 frequencies but the main three I wanted are either not programmed correctly or are encrypted because when they transmit, I only get a loud static sound. It is strange since the site for the three frequencies is a small residential living facility and they have no reason to encrypt. Is there some way to tell whether a sound like this is a missing "tone" or some other programming problem or an encryption sound. I am using RS pro 106 and have tried almost all programming variations including the "search tone" and "auto" modulation. Frustrating. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ps all of the other sites were programmed with the Radio Reference database but these three sites were done manually since small businesses are not in the RR database.

n5ims

Could be something as simple as they're using a digital mode that your scanner doesn't support. MotoTRBO perhaps. Providing their call sign(s) (or better yet link(s) to their license info from the FCC FRS database) may allow members to verify this based on their licensed emission code(s).

GM

Premium Subscriber
Here is a cool webpage that has a number of "strange sounds" that you might be encountering on your scanner, and a brief description of them: W2SJW - Radio Sounds

Let us know if any of them are the one(s) you are hearing... :)

KD4DOB

Thanks that was very helpful. The closest sound was Harris Open Sky and the Moto TRBO was close but very soft compared to what I get. I think however, it is looking more and more like the facility is using TRBO. I understand there isn't a scanner for that?

KD4DOB

Thanks a bunch! I am sorry that you are probably right! It is looking more and more like TRBO.

ecps92

What frequencies ?
a Quick check of the FCC will confirm the TRBO or other DMR mode

Thanks that was very helpful. The closest sound was Harris Open Sky and the Moto TRBO was close but very soft compared to what I get. I think however, it is looking more and more like the facility is using TRBO. I understand there isn't a scanner for that?

ecps92

Go to FCC General Menu Reports 3.1.14 October 7, 2010
Click on Callsign
Enter the Callsign in Question
Once the record is loaded, click on the Frequencie Tab
then click on the Emission Tab

WQPQ668 shows 7K60FXE which is a DMR
WPLE674 shows 20K0F3E which is the OLD Wideband analog, Not a DMR

What is 7K60FXE ?
MOTOTRBO - The RadioReference Wiki

DMR is not monitorable/decodable via traditional scanners.

As for WPLE674, they never Narrowbanded, and are not licensed for DMR (not that, this has stopped anyone)

I have successfully loaded 1,000 frequencies but the main three I wanted are either not programmed correctly or are encrypted because when they transmit, I only get a loud static sound. It is strange since the site for the three frequencies is a small residential living facility and they have no reason to encrypt. Is there some way to tell whether a sound like this is a missing "tone" or some other programming problem or an encryption sound. I am using RS pro 106 and have tried almost all programming variations including the "search tone" and "auto" modulation. Frustrating. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ps all of the other sites were programmed with the Radio Reference database but these three sites were done manually since small businesses are not in the RR database.

Status
Not open for further replies.