Encryption Question

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
StoliRaz with you 100%. I see nothing, I say nothing, I know nothing. Go figure it with your encryption.
You have to love the irony though. Distrust in law enforcement today is at an all time low, largely thanks at least in part to the media. Yet in Chicago the media is ticked off that the police have encrypted their radios. I'm glad they're the first to be harmed by the consequences of their actions 🤣 Hopefully the next mayor and police leadership will go back to nearly 100% in the open. I used to love listening to that feed. (Yes I know it's back but with a 30 min delay). I'm fine with a few tactical channels encrypted. That's reasonable. There's times where it's needed. 100% dark isn't.

It's Chicago though so I won't hold my breath.

tswansiger

You have to love the irony though. Distrust in law enforcement today is at an all time low, largely thanks at least in part to the media. Yet in Chicago the media is ticked off that the police have encrypted their radios. I'm glad they're the first to be harmed by the consequences of their actions 🤣 Hopefully the next mayor and police leadership will go back to nearly 100% in the open. I used to love listening to that feed. (Yes I know it's back but with a 30 min delay). I'm fine with a few tactical channels encrypted. That's reasonable. There's times where it's needed. 100% dark isn't.

It's Chicago though so I won't hold my breath.
Are communities charged extra for using encryption?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Are communities charged extra for using encryption?
Depends.
Usually, systems are acquired through a bidding process. Encryption would be included in the system design bid.
Most modern radios have encryption capabilities built in, but the vendor may charge a fee to activate it. It would be included in the bid.

Note that except for the smallest of municipalities, encryption involves a hierarchy structure and bureaucracy. Key generation and management is serious business. There's also issues to address with interoperability with neighboring systems.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
A town by me went full time digital encrypted years ago. After about 2 years they dropped the encryption and are full time in the clear to this day. Interoperability was the number one reason I believe, as every other town around them was still analog and would need their encryption key etc So, as much as "officer safety" is cited, it also can create an officer safety and general public safety hindrance as well.

But, I'm bowing out here, I'm tired of this topic 😂

LarryVavrek

Chirack doesn’t need encryption cause call’s stack up for time on end. Amazing how they dispatch and it’s like pick one. Glad I’m retired.