• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Enter site trunking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I switched my G5 to a different zone this morning that has a neighboring county’s system and it locked on the CC, displayed the rfss/site but the T by the signal meter changed to an S and where it would flash “out of range” it kept saying “enter site trunking” i changed to a few other systems and they were fine, switched back to the system in question and it did it again for about 3 mins before going back to normal. I guess this was something on this system but in 2 years of owning my G5 I have never seen this on any system in any state. Anyone know exactly what it was, why it does it?

mdsxfire

EDBM
Here is a good article that describes Site Trunking and why you might be seeing this on the pager.

Awesome! Thank you, so in this case a simulcast system with say 8 towers in the county is operating as if each tower is standalone? Due to some issue, about 10 minutes or so after I posted they put a message out that county OEM was down due to a power outage, so I guess power went out and the system went into site trunking till generators kicked on. Thank you again as soon as I read that article I realized what happened, just never saw it before.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
With beta FW I can offer first hand how pager behaves in failsoft or site fail. No PPS setting impacts this. It is triggered automatically by the data in CC and G5 firmware. This happened yesterday to me on local system. Pager issues an alert tone with blue message site fail across top. Pager signal bar T is replaced with a blue S. Between transmissions a red bar will flash Site Trunking. When system is functioning again alert tone is heard and in range displayed in blue at top. Flashing red bar site trunking is removed. Blue S is returned to T. When in site fail G5 still passes audio of traffic on site selected. PPS Tab 2 site button toggled or untoggled on/off had no impact on this automated mode.

mdsxfire

EDBM
It did a great job of letting me k ow it was in site trunking with my current firmware also, it would be nice to have it only give the alert tone once when it goes into site trunking and not at intervals

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Awesome! Thank you, so in this case a simulcast system with say 8 towers in the county is operating as if each tower is standalone?

Not really. Site trunking is when the site itself has lost connectivity to the rest of the system, and is operating as a stand-alone site. It's still running as a simulcast site (not as 8 individual towers), but has no connection to the rest of the system until whatever went wrong is fixed.

If an individual tower in the simulcast site loses connectivity to the simulcast site controller, the only thing users would notice is reduced coverage in the area served by that specific tower.

You mentioned a power outage at OEC; what most likely occurred is that the connectivity for the simulcast site is at that location, and when power went down so did the connectivity. That's a bit surprising, as that sort of thing is usually on battery backup to keep things running until the generators kick in.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Not really. Site trunking is when the site itself has lost connectivity to the rest of the system, and is operating as a stand-alone site. It's still running as a simulcast site (not as 8 individual towers), but has no connection to the rest of the system until whatever went wrong is fixed.

If an individual tower in the simulcast site loses connectivity to the simulcast site controller, the only thing users would notice is reduced coverage in the area served by that specific tower.

You mentioned a power outage at OEC; what most likely occurred is that the connectivity for the simulcast site is at that location, and when power went down so did the connectivity. That's a bit surprising, as that sort of thing is usually on battery backup to keep things running until the generators kick in.
this system is a single site multi tower system for county coverage so therefore its isnt connected to multiple sites, like NJICS would be, only thing i can think of is the fact that it may be linked to the 700 system in the county as well, also weird was that even though it said "enter site trunking" i was still receiving traffic, like you said if one tower went down in a single site system it would just reduce coverage, so maybe the 700 system went down and the 500 system sees that as the other site

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
this system is a single site multi tower system for county coverage so therefore its isnt connected to multiple sites, like NJICS would be, only thing i can think of is the fact that it may be linked to the 700 system in the county as well, also weird was that even though it said "enter site trunking" i was still receiving traffic, like you said if one tower went down in a single site system it would just reduce coverage, so maybe the 700 system went down and the 500 system sees that as the other site

Doesn't matter is it's a multi-site system or single site; if a site loses connectivity to the system controller (Motorola calls it a Master Site, I think Harris calls it a VIDA switch or something like that), it will go into site trunking. I wouldn't be surprised if the system controller is at the OEC, which you mentioned lost power; I am still surprised there's something in the chain that's not on battery backup.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A Motorola ASTRO 25 simulcast cell (a virtual "site" comprised of multiple subsites, i.e. physical tower sites) is controlled by a Simulcast Prime Site, which in turn is connected to the IP Master Site. All simulcast subsites are connected first to the Prime Site, then in turn to the Master Site, i.e. the system core, zone controller, etc.

If the Simulcast Prime Site loses connection to the Master Site, the simulcast cell can continue to function on its own with no connection to the zone controller or console subsystem, in Site Trunking mode. If the Prime Site goes down, the simulcast cell itself will cease to function as a single entity, and the subsites will go into Failsoft mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.