• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

First time I have seen this.

"System exception # 2" This is on a well received system. There are also no signal bars.

All other systems are fine. What does it mean?

cpetraglia

After changing back and forth with Monitor Mode on or off, every time I turn it on is when I get the error. I have adjusted the squelch from off to full, it makes no difference. As long as I leave Monitor Mode off, the system continues to receive just fine. I am wondering if this has something to do with the latest FW update. I never noticed it before.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
If you installed new firmware, make sure you also have the newest PPS. I had problems with newer firmware / older pps.

cpetraglia

I have the correct PPS. I am not 100% sure its the FW, but it's awful strange. I had my G4 since mid May and first I have had this problem. What it does is RX the system for around 30 seconds after enabling Monitor Mode and then pops up the error. The signal strength dies off and I cant get it back without disabling MM.

cpetraglia

Dave,

I don't have a picture.
The screen shows nothing else but "System Exception # 2" That's all it says. It cuts off the current system as in no signal. When I disable Monitor Mode it comes back fine.
How will a picture help?
I'll try and get you one.
Thanks,
Chuck

cpetraglia

Dave,
I just created the error twice in a row. It only stays on the screen for a second and a half at most. The screen goes back to scanning looking for a CC. Wont find one until MM is shut off. I cant keep the error up long enough to snap a picture. I can try to take a video, but it will probably be too big to email. I can't predict exactly when it will pop up.

cpetraglia

FYI I reverted to the last PPS and FW and still does the same thing.
I have tried R11J and R11N2.
This only happens with one particular system. Wash. DC P25 PII. They still broadcast FD dispatch on Phase 1. It does not happen with three other adjacent PII systems. I suspect it has something to do with DC. Having a definition of the error would help.

ResQguy

Meh
FYI I reverted to the last PPS and FW and still does the same thing.
I have tried R11J and R11N2.
This only happens with one particular system. Wash. DC P25 PII. They still broadcast FD dispatch on Phase 1. It does not happen with three other adjacent PII systems. I suspect it has something to do with DC. Having a definition of the error would help.

Are you saying you are monitoring system 445 in monitor mode? This is full of encryption and phase 2 talkgroups, plenty of reasons to throw errors. Maybe 25% of this system is in the clear and phase 1.

cpetraglia

Yes I am. However I also monitor Loudoun, Prince William and Prince Georges. All are Phase II systems which work fine in monitor mode. All have TGs that are still Phase I and in the clear. This is not that big a deal, I just want to know what the error is pointing to.

cpetraglia

To be sure, this is not meant in any way to be a Unication basher. I love the radio and promote them all the time. Here is how I see it. The FW code writers had to write this error into the code or it would not show up. Therefore it clearly has a meaning.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
To be sure, this is not meant in any way to be a Unication basher. I love the radio and promote them all the time. Here is how I see it. The FW code writers had to write this error into the code or it would not show up. Therefore it clearly has a meaning.

Not really. You CAN program the application / firmware to pass on the error. They didn't necessarily write "Error 32" for example, but that may be whatever language they wrote the firmware in passing on an error.

For example, I worked at a software company a LONG time ago (early 90's). We stored a particular data in a text file, comma deliminated.

An error started creeping up - thank you ADD, I remember the error - "Input past end of file."
What did this mean? It means the program expected the file to end after a certain place, but somehow a 'blank' line was inserted at the end of the file, and since that line didn't have data, it was unexpected. We didn't 'write' "Input past end of file", but the programming language threw the error since we basically said "Display whatever error comes up."

cpetraglia

That makes sense. So there may not be an actual definition of this error. I tend to use monitor mode to discover P1 and non-encrypted TGs so I then can enter them into the list. For example: The PG County system has everything listed as 'D' in the RR database which is clearly incorrect. I guess at this point I wait for the PII update and see how it all goes.

Thanks

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
What does this mean? LED on the charger displays a rainbow of colors.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.