• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

External audio from G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospect62

Hey guys,

My father in law owns a towing company and asked me to set him up with a radio to monitor local emergency services. I have suggested a G2 over an SDS-200 based on my positive experiences with my own G2. My question is, he needs the audio run out to the loudspeaker in the garage/work area from the front desk where the pager would be kept - and it needs to be loud.

Will the headphone jack on the G2 drive a basic "garage style" loudspeaker? Would I need to buy the amplified charger base and split audio out of that instead?

Thanks for any tips or input.

N6ML

There is no headphone jack. You'll need either the amplified charging base, or something BlueTooth.

Prospect62

I don't know why I thought there was.

Can I run audio from the charging base to an amplified or unamplified external loud speaker? If so, which is the more appropriate way to do so, using the 3.5mm jack or by tying into that station alert monitor thing?

Is the audio out jack on the charger base an amplified signal or is it just the built-in charger base speaker amplified?

N6ML

I don't have the amplified charging base, so can only go on what I've read. The manual says "3.5mm Audio Jack: This connections audio output is controlled by the volume knob on the device and mutes the onboard speaker when in use." ... so it sounds like it's just redirecting the amplified signal that would be going to the internal speaker - basically like a typical headphone jack. There's a separate hookup for a horn speaker.

Edit: by "internal speaker", I mean the one internal to the amplified charging base, not internal to the pager!

blackbelter

My Unication amplified speaker is powerful for my monitoring room of 18X14. I keep my G5 audio level @10 and the charger @ first turn.The audio is clean and loud.

Prospect62

My Unication amplified speaker is powerful for my monitoring room of 18X14. I keep my G5 audio level @10 and the charger @ first turn.The audio is clean and loud.

Thanks! I had heard before that the amplified base wasn't very loud at all, that's why we're planning on using an external horn style speaker in the garage.

AdamHLG

I have a G5 and not a G2, but if the G2 has Bluetooth, I gotta assume that on Amazon you can find a gadget to pair with it that has a 1/8" female mini and then with a cable you can run it to an amp and speaker.

doc62

My firehouse has a G4 we use for in station monitoring. We use the amplified base and feed the audio to our stations sound system. No problem hearing the audio in any of our bays.

N6ML

I have a G5 and not a G2, but if the G2 has Bluetooth, I gotta assume that on Amazon you can find a gadget to pair with it that has a 1/8" female mini and then with a cable you can run it to an amp and speaker.

I have one like this:

It seems to work pretty well with my G5. I think the G2 has newer Bluetooth (4.x) hardware. It may or may not work with that. Also I think that that Docooler product is no longer available - the brand has a newer model now. That also may or may not work. There are lots of other BT audio options. Compatibility with the G-series seems a bit hit-or-miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.