External Speakers for Handheld Scanner?

CrabbyMilton

Hey all, I’ve got a BCD436hp which I love but would like some more volume when using it in the car. I bought a cheap Whistler external speaker with a headphone style plug. Plugged it into the headphone jack in the top of the scanner and…. It’s quieter than the internal speaker. Not all that surprised given it has no amplification, but these external speakers are advertised as a quick plug and play solution for more volume. Now I understand I probably bought something without really understanding what I was getting. So what’s the best solution for my situation? I’d hate to have to wire something into power in the car. Thanks!
I don't know what kind of car you have but I just connect a wire from the headphone jack to the car's AUX jack. Works like a charm. Another option would be to use a portable FM transmitter. I have one that plugs into the power point and includes a jack where you can plug in your scanner and pipe it in thru an unused FM signal.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I bought a cheap Whistler external speaker with a headphone style plug. Plugged it into the headphone jack in the top of the scanner and…. It’s quieter than the internal speaker.
Is it like this one?

"NOTICE: Not recommended for use with a headphone jack. Headphone output levels are reduced to protect the listener and require an amplified speaker. Passive Speakers are designed for use with an External Speaker Output Jack."