FCC Database Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am looking for a fairly simple way to find transmit locations by frequency in the FCC database.

When I search by frequency the main FCC database page only has location information for the licensee and, while for Public Safety this is not too bad it is a pain for other searches, especially railroads.

As an example, let's say I want to search 160.740 in Utah. While I might get results from local shortlines I am unlikely to get results from any of the large Class Ones since all those licenses come back to Texas or Nebraska.

In addition, does anyone still sell a data dump of the entire FCC database like the old Percon CD's of years past? I used to import that file into FileMaker Pro and create my own front ends that allowed me to do my own searches and edits. The County searches were extremely useful! (AFAIK there is no way to search by transmitter location county in the FCC DB)

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully Shawn's link provides a solution. You certainly can download raw ULS data files for FREE. And if you build your own local copy of ULS, you can certainly construct your own custom queries. I've done it myself, and I was able to generate all kinds of cool query parameters not available in the ULS Web API.

However, it's a bit of a project, and I'd be shocked if you could do it with Filemaker or Access. The FCC raw datafiles are a HUGE complex cluster&**(, and you basically *have* to use a real database program like MySQL, Postgres etc, if you want to utilize the raw data files. I'm guessing Filemaker and/or Access wouldn't allow you to import all those giant data files, to say nothing of the complex joins & queries that would have to be run afterwords.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

You can search by transmitter county if you use the Geosearch option. It allows you to select multiple counties at a time if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.