• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC Enforcement, tasty, tasty enforcement….

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
To be clear about it, I'm not advocating for the end of radio licensing. I think licensing is an important part of regulation and regulation is necessary.

But enforcement should be a matter of intelligent decision making. Enforce those cases where there is an affected party. Not in those cases where there has been no harm done, and nobody has complained. Absolutely every licensee has the right to file complaints about unauthorized users interfering with his system or licensed frequencies, but in that case, there IS an affected party.

While it's fun to make fun of the FCC, I think they are doing a pretty good job of this.

Problem is, I♥Media and the other media juggernauts have a lot of staff on hand to file complaints at the FCC.

As for programming amateur frequencies into a Part 90 radio, since FCC type acceptance is NOT required for amateur service transmissions, that radio's type acceptance is a moot point on those frequencies. You might argue either way for that. But in practice, when is the last time you heard of an enforcement action for that reason? I can't recall having ever heard of that happening. Of course I've heard of enforcement in the reverse scenario, where Part 90 channels were programmed (to transmit) in a non-type-accepted amateur radio that had been "opened up".

Yeah, I know that, you know that, but there's the occasional person out there that pulls nonexistent FCC rules out of their corn chute.

I don't own any "amateur radios". All my stuff is Kenwood, Motorola or Harris at this point. "Go part 90 or go home".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes it will. Get your dealer to add it to the FSS file.

tell me more. I'm new to the Harris world, just got my shipment in a few weeks back. PM would be fine, if you get the chance.

I do still have some wideband stuff (legally) on Part 90….

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
The only radio I own that isn't Motorola or Harris is an ancient mid 70s Regency crystal controlled BRICK, an HR-2, I think, which is strictly a novelty/collector's item. Don't even have a battery for it. Haven't even SEEN an example of the 14.4 volt ni-cd battery type it takes in well over 20 years.

My dream "one radio" will be either an APX8000 or an XL200P. At this point I no longer care which. Just an all-bander that lets me combine all my radio interests in a single unit. (Not counting HF, of which my interest there is limited anyway.)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
... But enforcement should be a matter of intelligent decision making. Enforce those cases where there is an affected party. Not in those cases where there has been no harm done, and nobody has complained. ...
Has there been a sudden surge in prosecution of victimless radio mis-use? I was under the impression the FCC has never had enough budget to enforce anything but the most serious cases (or exemplary ones, like the present subject).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Has there been a sudden surge in prosecution of victimless radio mis-use? I was under the impression the FCC has never had enough budget to enforce anything but the most serious cases (or exemplary ones, like the present subject).
Pirating on trunking systems gets their attention.
Unauthorized operation and meddling into USFS operations gets their attention.
Intentional interference with public safety radio gets their attention.

None of this is what I consider "victimless radio misuse" and what I am seeing the EB focus long needed attention on.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I have been all over the lower 48 states and never had an issue using 445.925, 445.950, 445.975, 446.025, 446.050, 446.075 MHz for simplex using ether a mobile, hand held, analog or digital. Always decent coverage in rural or urban environments. I feel that amateur radio licensed operators have so many different options to choose from that why would we ever need to use any unauthorized frequencies? And if you really don't want to be bothered, 223.4 through 223.52 MHz is another good segment to use.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
Actually less that 5 years ago. We had a missing person search and a ham got on our operations channel. He was not a member of a SAR or Fire/EMS unit on scene but felt he needed involved.
There's one way, IMO, to get involved in those: *listen*, watch, and stay away from the scene unless you're supposed to be there. Enjoy the scanner feed, and call 911 if you see the dude.

If you need clear frequencies, GMRS simplex is often clear as long as you don't mind getting another license and coming over to the dark side. :)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I have been all over the lower 48 states and never had an issue using 445.925, 445.950, 445.975, 446.025, 446.050, 446.075 MHz for simplex using ether a mobile, hand held, analog or digital. Always decent coverage in rural or urban environments.

??? Those are repeater input freqs in most of the US (except at least SoCal, where they are outputs). If you're not listening to the repeater output (5 MHz lower), you wouldn't necessarily know if there's an "issue".

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
??? Those are repeater input freqs in most of the US (except at least SoCal, where they are outputs). If you're not listening to the repeater output (5 MHz lower), you wouldn't necessarily know if there's an "issue".
Yes on this! If you search 5MHz lower in frequency than what's listed above you will find probably hundreds of repeaters across the US where the freqs are repeater inputs and I'll bet many of them are noise squelch operated.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Yes on this! If you search 5MHz lower in frequency than what's listed above you will find probably hundreds of repeaters across the US where the freqs are repeater inputs and I'll bet many of them are noise squelch operated.
Thanks guys for the information.

bill4long

If the time comes, programming this fleet of Baofengs to transmit on whatever frequency is indeed a trivial matter.
One admission: some of my ham units are programmed to transmit and receive on 156.800 MHz. Yes that is the marine emergency channel (16). No I don't transmit on it though the one night a small boat tried to run me down on my kayak, I probably should have. Yes it *is* legal to transmit on that frequency in an emergency, but my wife and I both had our hands full with evasive action.
I keep that frequency programmed because when just a seven by two foot fiberglass tub separates me from the drink, things can go south in a real big hurry and swimming ten miles to shore was not what I had in mind. Especially when I'm surrounded by orcas.

Might I suggest one of these? Water proof
The reality is that you're more likely to get a ticket for jaywalking than you are for making unauthorized use of an empty channel for occasional short range communications.

There are two kinds of unauthorized transmissions: Those that cause interference or harm to licensed users, and those that can not be demonstrated to have caused any harm to any service or any users.

If I ran the zoo, the first category would be subject to aggressive enforcement, and the second category would be studiously ignored as a waste of limited enforcement resources.

It's pretty much what the FCC does these days. They aren't out scouring the streets looking for offenses. They have neither the resources nor the care to do so. The FCC is a complaint-driven agency when it comes to most things these days. Their primary job is to deal with reported harmful interference. I know a couple of guys who have been using modified 2 meter radios on MURS channel 2 for years about 10 miles up the road. Nobody has ever complained apparently. And why would they? I'm probably the only one who knows, and I'm not going to, because I couldn't care less. The guys are there night after night. (Where I live, literally nobody else uses MURS channels 1, 2 and 3. Channels 4 and 5 get a fair amount of use, esp from Wally World down the road.)

bill4long

Truth is, there are plenty of slices of spectrum to play in.
Amateur Radio
CB Radio
FRS
GMRS
MURS
Part 15

Yet there are those that are still not happy and will decide they need to hop someone else's fence and play in their yard.

"If I don't get caught, it must be OK"
I get it.
I'm sure Mr. D. B. Cooper felt the same way with all that money.

But we all know that the FCC doesn't have the resources or desire to chase most of this stuff down unless it get stupid blatant.
As for the original post in this thread, the individual got a major case of the stupids and kept it going long enough that he could be easily tracked down. A trained amateur radio operator, God of the Electromagnetic Spectrum. What could have possibly gone wrong?

And 900mhz spread spectrum. Such as these little darlings....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And 900mhz spread spectrum. Such as these little darlings....

Yeah, forgot about those.

But, you can't program them to access the public safety P25 radio system when you get a flat tire on your ham-about and need to call in for the heavy rescue USAR/EMS/swat team.

And, relying on a Baofeng for contacting the USCG when you are out with your wife, at night, many miles from shore still has me scratching my head...

bill4long

And, relying on a Baofeng for contacting the USCG when you are out with your wife, at night, many miles from shore still has me scratching my head...

Yeah, that's scary. All kinds of good marine radios with GPS and emergency beacons for reasonable prices. And license-by-rule as long as you're out on the water. (That no registration and no fee, for you people who don't know what license-by-rule means.)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have been all over the lower 48 states and never had an issue using 445.925, 445.950, 445.975, 446.025, 446.050, 446.075 MHz for simplex using ether a mobile, hand held, analog or digital.
I'll address signal500's statement rather than comment on what's listed in RepeaterBook.

There are no repeaters coordinated in Indiana with the output or input frequencies that signal500 mentioned. There may, however, be links or control receivers operating on those frequencies.

That said, it's always good amateur radio practice to listen to a frequency before transmitting on that frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.