• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC Enforcement, tasty, tasty enforcement….

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not knowledgeable on trunked systems, but any reason why the system operators didn't have the primary radio turned off and an inhibit sent to the clone?

Yeah, you want to keep them on the hook and get evidence.

There's no better evidence than the radio actually connected to the system in front of the FCC/US Marshals/Local LE/System tech. Kind of hard for people to weasel out of things when they have proof like that.

Hopefully FCC makes an example of this guy like they did with the ham in Idaho that felt the need to jump on a public safety system.
They need to keep doing this until they make it absolutely clear that no amount of ham radio BS is going to make this OK. The sooner that the whackers get this into their pea sized brains, the better.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The problem is that unless you're a member here, QRZ, etc., you are never going to hear about this, and never care.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the FCC needs to go straight to the ARRL and tell them to knock it off with the whackerism. Get the ARRL to get the message out that this sort of stuff is not acceptable.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Reminds me of what my grandfather taught me at a young age. He received his amateur radio license KA0YDR in the early 70's and progressed to advanced class. He was my mentor and got me started in amateur radio and electronics. One summer evening he accidentally transmitted CQ, CQ, CQ on the extra portion of the 40 meter band. He quickly realized his mistake and the following morning called the FCC Kansas City, MO office to report himself. The enforcement bureau agent thanked him for reporting his mistake and nothing else ever came of it. He taught me many valuable lessons that day. Of course, back then the airwaves were strictly controlled by the FCC (so much so) that he would transmit his CB callsign after ever transmission KB79035 while using the Citizens Band. Times have changed, but one thing remains the same, police yourself when it comes to the privilege of holding an amateur radio or any other license.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
After they pinged the radio in front of him, they should have sent that fun inhibit command and bricked it in front of him.
Does that make the radio unusable in its entirety (i.e. no recovery possible)?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
After they pinged the radio in front of him, they should have sent that fun inhibit command and bricked it in front of him.
Even better to leave it on and see how many more registration attempts you log in Zone Watch/Gen Watch. Genesis sent me a nice little script to extract granular ATIA logs with every mobility update. Basically, every single time RF is emitted from an unauthorized subscriber like this, a date/time stamped/forensic level detail is captured.

Easy to explain to 12 reasonable people: each time you see an entry, subject's unauthorized radio made an attempt to break into the system.
Stack em, pack em and rack em.

Cameron314

Just planning ahead I guess/

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully FCC makes an example of this guy like they did with the ham in Idaho that felt the need to jump on a public safety system.
They need to keep doing this until they make it absolutely clear that no amount of ham radio BS is going to make this OK. The sooner that the whackers get this into their pea sized brains, the better.

If I can pick a minor nit, MM: I don't see any link between amateur radio and the guy improperly programming a part 90 radio on a public safety system. There are clearly just as many non-ham- as ham-bad-apples out there doing whacker crap like this.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Ughh. Properly configuring NAS it not complicated! The instructions have been out for there for decades. Plus if you have a RTL SDR dongle with Unitrunker it would be VERY easy to double-check if you are affiliating. Also you would think the red LED flashing on power-up would make it obvious. Like blatantly obvious.

But I guess for anyone reading this confused about NAS, please write this down: IF YOU SEE A RED LED FLASH WHEN YOUR RADIO POWERS ON, YOU HAVE FAILED, DON'T TRY AGAIN. THROW THE RADIO AWAY.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I can pick a minor nit, MM: I don't see any link between amateur radio and the guy improperly programming a part 90 radio on a public safety system. There are clearly just as many non-ham- as ham-bad-apples out there doing whacker crap like this.

You are right, there are hams and non-hams that do this sort of BS.
My point was that there are a lot of hams that try really hard to justify the "hams can transmit anywhere in an emergency B.S." I've run into it personally at work, and every single time it's been a ham that's tried it on me. "It's OK, I have an amateur radio license". Been there, heard that.

This guy was already busted for interference on the HF bands. I'd like to think that most people that were freshly visited by the FCC would make an attempt to clean up their act. NAS, and knowing not to clone a radio ID should be well known at this point. The same discussions that come up over and over again about NAS almost always include why its a bad idea if one doesn't know what they are doing. Apparently this guy didn't have a clue, or assumed it was OK. I'm waiting to hear which one it was.
Anyone that advertises "radio system installation" on their profile who doesn't understand this stuff has some bigger issues going on.

And people whine about encryption. It's actions like this that make agencies look closely at encrypting the crap out of everything.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Being honest across the board- Ive had more than one "first responder" walk in with a radio off epay and say "I want this programed so I can talk to [enter what ever agency ] ....I explain that they would need written permission from each agency for whatever TG that agency was willing to let them have...And oh my gosh you would think I kidnapped their family..
ranting about getting the software and doing it themselves...
ok good luck with that.
...And for the record I dont program any radio I have on the system- thats done by the sys admin designated folk...
but- it goes to show the mindset of some folk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Being honest across the board- Ive had more than one "first responder" walk in with a radio off epay and say "I want this programed so I can talk to [enter what ever agency ] ....I explain that they would need written permission from each agency for whatever TG that agency was willing to let them have...And oh my gosh you would think I kidnapped their family..
ranting about getting the software and doing it themselves...
ok good luck with that.

I hate to go into the whole whacker thing here, but yeah...
How many of those "first responders" were actually connected to a legit city/county/state associated public safety agency?
I've had a few guys claim "First Responder" status and when you start asking questions, it usually comes down to the "We work with the police", "We help the police", etc.
Like you, the "Get it in writing from the Chief" nips it in the bud. Never once in 25 years has the chief ever approved one of these whackers on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.