Federal Government & Military Freq. List

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...What happened to the Freedom of Information Act ?...

As far as what happened to the FOIA, the URL below has some answers to that question.

History of FOIA

You have already received some excellent answers. I agree with all of them. If you really want to get into finding stuff, you probably owe it to yourself to use more than one receiver. Here is why. You need one, or more, to simply focus on searching. Connect that receiver to a computer and use whatever software you want to log the activity while you aren't physically present.

You then might consider one, or more, separate receivers to actually scan or monitor what you have found. Granted, not everybody wants, or can afford to, have more than one radio, but, if you can or are so inclined, that is a way to do it.

Like others posted, you will find encryption and federal activity on statewide systems. Don't let that discourage you, however.

If you really want a challenge, consider trying to document every active frequency within you listening range. Along with that, document whatever sub-audible signalling they use. For example, if your local school buses are are using 155.175 with a PL of 127.3, monitor it to verify and then keep a log of it.

The way I have done it in the past is to create banks of frequencies with Butel software and use the History Log to find the PL/DPL/NAC Code/Color Code/Etc. You will find some frequencies are unused in your area and others have multiple users, each, hopefully, with a different PL/DPL/NAC Code/Color Code/Etc. When I create these banks, I arrange them in ascending frequency order with the correct steps. Verify that you have the current, correct steps. For many years my VHF high band was in 15 kHz steps (increments). For example, it went from 155.475 to 155.490, to 155.505. Now, the steps are 7.5 kHz.

You should know, too, that not all analog frequencies have a sub-audible signal. For example, the frequencies that my local PSAP uses to tone out fire departments and patch the trunked traffic on are carrier squelch. They have no PL or DPL because sometimes those can cause false signalling.

Some radios have built in recording ability. Some software has the ability to record. I have been doing that lately with Fire Tone Out frequencies. I check ProScan, see that there has been activity and then listen to the recording function to see who the fire page out was for.

Tech1

I have been a scanner radio hobbyist since 1973, I am not new to this. I was looking for a list of military and government frequencies. Believe you me I have plenty of note books containing many frequencies over the years.

Tech1

I own 4 scanner radios and a computer with the Pro software for my BR330T and BCD996P2 scanners and a BC345CRS scanner for analog scanning.

Tech1

Plus I have purchased the Police Call Frequency Directory from Radio Shack since 1974. I was also a volunteer fire fighter. The original post I made was about a web site that I found that had a listing for Military/Government frequencies and part of it was blocked because they required a credit card to download the full document, it only showed the first 30 pages.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Again, there's plenty of info in the database. And honestly, the list you posted isn't much of a list. It's very inaccurate and very old.

No one is questioning your experience level and we are offering our experience and knowledge, well, because you asked and we are trying to help.

Tech1

Thanks to everyone for there input. I have no intention of starting fights are arguing, because that would get me kicked out. I am aware of the Database on the web site, I refer to it on a regular basis and am glad the web site was started.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
How bout some Texas federal frequencies that actually work?
Well there's a loaded question ... Scanning the feds isn't as easy as using the stock scanner antenna in your kitchen while drinking coffee and watching NatGeo! Texas Fed Frequencies work and work well but you have to make a few changes in how you listen to them. Outdoor antenna for starters.

FedFiles is by far one of the better blogs to follow IMO. I think Mr.P sleeps in a black suit and drives an old diplomat. I often use FedFiles to fill in the blanks of the local stuff I hear.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Another thing to be aware of, in some states there is more Fed traffic on state systems than on the Fed frequencies. Here in North Carolina they have a statewide system called VIPER. I hear very little fed traffic on the VFH Fed channels, but daily traffic on VIPER. And, though the feds have there own talkgroups on the system they are more often found on the statewide event channels. Consider searching your statewide system (if your state has one).

Same here in Michigan. Much of Federal radio communications have moved to MPSCS (Michigan's P25 P1 digital system). However some VHF/UHF activity still exist. Encryption is a coin toss, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.