Federal Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtdude100

Hey y’all!
Has anyone had any luck listening to federal talkgroups on VIPER (or anywhere else, and if so where)? Like FBI, Marshalls, DHS/ICE? I see them on the RR VIPER page, and im sure they are exciting to listen too, but not sure if its even worth trying (assuming they might be encrypted or on an entirely different system).

Seperate question (not sure if this should be in a different thread): do folks know if the wake county system is going in the direction of VIPER or Cary, or is just staying different?

Thank y’all for the help!

jtdude100

For context: I have a Uniden BCD325P2 + FreeScan that I use to listen various interesting things on the VIPER system and to wake county.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the DEA VIPER talk groups active on my visits to the Asheville area. Your chances of catching any federal agency on VIPER depends on what sites you are listening to and where the federal agents are using the system.

- Chris

ScubaJungle

No idea about VIPER, but 97% of federal comms are encrypted, with the exception (in my experience) of VA hospitals/police. Occasionally, there will be someone who accidentally "flips the switch" on their encryption, and you can hear at least part of the conversation, but that comes down to mainly luck.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the DEA VIPER talk groups active on my visits to the Asheville area. Your chances of catching any federal agency on VIPER depends on what sites you are listening to and where the federal agents are using the system.

Most traffic is on Statewide Events channels on Viper

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
No idea about VIPER, but 97% of federal comms are encrypted, with the exception (in my experience) of VA hospitals/police. Occasionally, there will be someone who accidentally "flips the switch" on their encryption, and you can hear at least part of the conversation, but that comes down to mainly luck.

In your area, doesn't apply to all areas. Also, even encrypted comms have a lot of info you can gain.

ScubaJungle

In your area, doesn't apply to all areas. Also, even encrypted comms have a lot of info you can gain.
"In my experience"
I never said it didn't. I'm simply sharing my experience with someone who's asking for it. If people could only comment if they know about the exact details of what people post, then this forum wouldn't have 1/80th of the information it has. It's better to have more information than less.

ecps92

YMMV as to ENC but a blanket statement of 97% ENC is not true.

spacellamaman

to chime in here, and to help bridge the n00b-old far...excuse me..experienced monitor divide: on the VHF 163-174 fed freqs, in the clear is very rare, as well as traffic in general. i rarely listen to VIPER, yet still hear more fed chatter, and oddly enough, usually in the clear. and insanely informative at that.

keep in mind this is the view from central piedmont

ScubaJungle

to chime in here, and to help bridge the n00b-old far...excuse me..experienced monitor divide: on the VHF 163-174 fed freqs, in the clear is very rare, as well as traffic in general. i rarely listen to VIPER, yet still hear more fed chatter, and oddly enough, usually in the clear. and insanely informative at that.

keep in mind this is the view from central piedmont
I should have specified that the 163-174 range was what I was referring to - as I said, no idea about VIPER, but the OP is asking about federal monitoring, and that applies
Regardless, Im not discouraging listening, if anything, encouraging it, since finding something in the clear is all the more rewarding

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey y’all!
Has anyone had any luck listening to federal talkgroups on VIPER (or anywhere else, and if so where)? Like FBI, Marshalls, DHS/ICE? I see them on the RR VIPER page, and im sure they are exciting to listen too, but not sure if its even worth trying (assuming they might be encrypted or on an entirely different system).

Seperate question (not sure if this should be in a different thread): do folks know if the wake county system is going in the direction of VIPER or Cary, or is just staying different?

Per your question about VIPER, yes there is a lot of fed traffic on viper. As for your question about Wake Co, they are scheduled for their own P25 system and should have already upgraded. The FCC grant for the change was issued a year ago, but for some reason the switch has been delayed.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Fedcom Talkgroups usually had a lot of traffic in the Charlotte area when I had a VIPER radio. Mostly Fedcom 1 TG. Now that I don't have one anymore (different job now) I can't hear it anymore as my work radio would affiliate with the site where the TG was being used.

ecps92

Generally the rule is "Do Not Post an Active Surv Op"
And when you hear all this fed traffic in the clear regardless of where it is, you should keep it to yourself or between trusted friends in private, lest it quickly become encrypted. C'mon guys, use common sense. First rule of Fight Club?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Generally the rule is "Do Not Post an Active Surv Op"

I don't care what the rule is on RR, I am saying its best to use common sense and share it in private amongst your friends. This is why we strap everything secure now.

Years ago I used to openly share things here in the forums as well but two conversations with colleagues at other agencies ended that. One mentioned that if they started to see things make it online (RR was specifically mentioned) they would move toward making all of their talkgroups secure, and since then have made approximately 60% of them AES. The other one specifically mentioned a RR member contacting their HQ under an alias and asking for information about the system while it was still being built out, which made the non-technical admin types think someone was trying to "hack" the system for nefarious purposes. The scanning community was lucky to not lose that one.. yet.

Just my opinion, but people here need to filter what they post and ask themselves:

1) Will this harm the operation that's being conducted?

2) Will this harm the scanning community? This one is a double-edged sword.

OP: My soapbox rant is not directed at you, just sharing my observations on the subject.

Last edited:

ecps92

That is not just a RR Rule, but a general rule that should be followed.

However, Sharing is Caring - we now return us to Sharing of information, which is what the Site and Forums is about.
Those not interested, can stop posting or go into the IGGY List

I don't care what the rule is on RR, I am saying its best to use common sense and share it in private amongst your friends. This is why we strap everything secure now.

Years ago I used to openly share things here in the forums as well but two conversations with colleagues at other agencies ended that. One mentioned that if they started to see things make it online (RR was specifically mentioned) they would move toward making all of their talkgroups secure, and since then have made approximately 60% of them AES. The other one specifically mentioned a RR member contacting their HQ under an alias and asking for information about the system while it was still being built out, which made the non-technical admin types think someone was trying to "hack" the system for nefarious purposes. The scanning community was lucky to not lose that one.. yet.

Just my opinion, but people here need to filter what they post and ask themselves:

1) Will this harm the operation that's being conducted?

2) Will this harm the scanning community? This one is a double-edged sword.

OP: My soapbox rant is not directed at you, just sharing my observations on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.