Feed Bandwith Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

Hi Folks, queston for feed listeners and providers in Ontario. How much bandwith am I using listening to a feed?
And the big one, You guys here in Ontario what is it costing you to provide a 24/7 feed? Back in Michigan
unlimited internet I never gave it a thought. Now in Hamilton with cogeco unlimited means something new. Don't want this to get into an I hate Rogers,Bell,etc, Just trying to see if I can afford to play radio on the internet anymore.
Thanks

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I used to run a private feed 24/7 and I never really noticed any difference on the amount of bandwidth I was using per month. With the Rogers plan that I'm currently on I'm allowed 100gb per month, and it didn't put a dent in that. My upstream traffic may have been a couple of gigs a month at best, and that was the feed thrown in with all other outbound traffic.

VE3JSO

East_Algoma

Company I use

Unlimited bandwidth
10 users
56 kb rate
uses SHoutcast ( the server is all set for you...a small amount of set up time on yer end is maybe 2 - 5 mins |)

The firm charges 4.33 cents a month...no contracts etc...simple to set up n use , its 24 - 7 and at 4.33 cents a month - unlimited bandwidth...its a decent deal...if interested email me at

director@mediaintransit.com

unlisted

Company I use

Unlimited bandwidth
10 users
56 kb rate
uses SHoutcast ( the server is all set for you...a small amount of set up time on yer end is maybe 2 - 5 mins |)

The firm charges 4.33 cents a month...no contracts etc...simple to set up n use , its 24 - 7 and at 4.33 cents a month - unlimited bandwidth...its a decent deal...if interested email me at

What company is this?

unlisted

I guess the email me part you may not have read ?

Actually, I did read that part- I'm just curious what the company name is. I don't see the need to PM/email someone on here for a simple business name. I prefer to do my own reviewing of a company (and/or offer) before contacting someone regarding a service directly.

...I'm also pretty sure I am not the only one wondering the question I posted..

VE3JSO

Actually, I did read that part- I'm just curious what the company name is. I don't see the need to PM/email someone on here for a simple business name. I prefer to do my own reviewing of a company (and/or offer) before contacting someone regarding a service directly.

...I'm also pretty sure I am not the only one wondering the question I posted..

i am kind of curious about that too

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Hi Folks, queston for feed listeners and providers in Ontario. How much bandwith am I using listening to a feed?
And the big one, You guys here in Ontario what is it costing you to provide a 24/7 feed? Back in Michigan
unlimited internet I never gave it a thought. Now in Hamilton with cogeco unlimited means something new. Don't want this to get into an I hate Rogers,Bell,etc, Just trying to see if I can afford to play radio on the internet anymore.
Thanks

I host 3 feeds, listen for a few hours a month, stream 2-3 Netflix movies a month and general Internet usage for 2 people and haven't hit 40gb in a month.

OCO

Company I use

Unlimited bandwidth
10 users
56 kb rate

For some reason, I thought the OP was asking how much it cost to stream to RR... I kept trying to figure this info from East_Algoma out, now I get it - another stream hosting site, not an ISP providing last mile to your house..Good info, I guess, if you wanted to PAY to provide a stream someplace other than RR...and still pay for ISP services, too. (Dial up? tie up a land line 24x7?) :roll:

East_Algoma

One way or another - you pay - The firm Im with and posted charges so little,,,,and you can point your stream anywhere , yes to RR ( if you read for 1 min , you would see that )

OCO

I read it before I posted and read it again. What type of ISP connectivity are they providing from your home - wireless, cable, DSL, dialup?? Show me a link on the "SleepyEngineers" website that details that service. Other than that, it's just another webhosting, stream providing vendor..

East_Algoma

Thats exactly what it is..stream providing vendor..I never said it was an ISP.

I have worked in the NOC for a large ISP , like many ISP's we use to forbid servers of any kind.

We use to use a small snip of code a sr tech wrote to find the servers...

My ISP has no bandwidth limits...I download at 4 MBPS and upload at 2 MBPS , no limits...sadly many of the southern ont isp's will cap accpunt should you go over that limit...stupid n silly.

I use |EASTLINK.|CA

ps. - stay off port 79 -80...use a port monitor ,and see what port is used for routine traffic...use that port....that is how I got a few friends around the server limitation ( using non server ports ) this alone is great to keep yer isp away from you , they can cause disconnects to ANY port - however a common port , not 79 or 80 cant be shut down. Also if your getting caps - find a new isp...

Last edited:

OCO

RR stream providers are not running broadcast servers with multiple streams to the listeners, they're running a single stream to RR. The OP's question concerned that roughly 5 Gb/month payload to RR. Your "SleepyEngineers" solutions all deal with the same broadcast services already supplied by RR's vendors. None of your information seems pertinent to RR stream providers unless they wanted to drop RR as their broadcaster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.