SDS100/SDS200: File/Directory Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatorejrc

Hello, I just tried to program some favorites list changes onto my sds100 & I got a message on Sentinel that says:

"The file or directory /BCDx36HP/Favorites_lists/f_000197.hpd is corrupt & unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

What does this mean & how can I fix it? Thanks

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Asking to run Chkdsk indicates to me that the file in question is corrupted on your computer's hard drive.

You will loose the changes, but maybe try reading the scanner, which will overwrite the file.

The bigger question is if that sector on your hard drive is bad - or going bad and any data on it or written to it will be corrupted - or is at risk.
Chkdsk will examine the hard drive for errors and may be a good idea to run it.

To repair errors without scanning the disk for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume: /f, and then press <Enter>. To repair errors, bad sectors, and readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume: /r, and then press <Enter>.

Salvatorejrc

Asking to run Chkdsk indicates to me that the file in question is corrupted on your computer's hard drive.

You will loose the changes, but maybe try reading the scanner, which will overwrite the file.

The bigger question is if that sector on your hard drive is bad - or going bad and any data on it or written to it will be corrupted - or is at risk.
Chkdsk will examine the hard drive for errors and may be a good idea to run it.

To repair errors without scanning the disk for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume: /f, and then press <Enter>. To repair errors, bad sectors, and readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume: /r, and then press <Enter>.
Loose changes as in loose all of my Sentinel data? Also when I initially tried to upload my new changes, it also formatted the card on my sds. I will run it and let you know what happens thanks

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Actually it's not the hard drive that has a problem ... it's the SD card in the scanner.

If you mount the SD card (either by putting the scanner in mass storage mode or using a card reader on the PC) you'll see that the top level directory is \BCDx36HP. You won't find that directory on your PC; Sentinal stores data in \ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinal.

Keep in mind that your PC sees the SD card as a small disk drive, and you can run chkdsk against it.

OP, since Sentinal reformatted the SD Card (and then returned an error) my suggestion would be to try a new card.

Salvatorejrc

Actually it's not the hard drive that has a problem ... it's the SD card in the scanner.

If you mount the SD card (either by putting the scanner in mass storage mode or using a card reader on the PC) you'll see that the top level directory is \BCDx36HP. You won't find that directory on your PC; Sentinal stores data in \ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinal.

Keep in mind that your PC sees the SD card as a small disk drive, and you can run chkdsk against it.

OP, since Sentinal reformatted the SD Card (and then returned an error) my suggestion would be to try a new card.
Will do. Do you have any better quality card recommendations?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Also, even though the card was formatted, all of my recordings were still there

I doubt the card was actually "formatted". If it was, it's be completely blank. Also, after an actual format, you'd have to do a clear user data in Sentinel to put the essential operating files back onto the SD card for the radio to even function.

As someone stated above, I was in error earlier. (I've now had my coffee...). When you put your 100 into mass storage mode, Windows mounts the card in your radio as another disk drive. If you are getting an error, you have a corrupted or even bad SD card. I'd first try to actually format it, using the SD formatting program recommended here elsewhere in this forum. Then, do the above, (clear user data procedure). If you still have issues, replace the SD card.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Others have used larger cards, but the official max is 32GB.

Ubbe

Also, even though the card was formatted, all of my recordings were still there
I have to temporary disable my antivirus software to be able to format a SD card. When you formatted your SD card it didn't work and seems to have just corrupted one of the files on the SD card and left everything else untouched. Do a "real" format and the SD card should be blank, then do the "Clear User data" from Sentinel, you'll have to tick the box that shows all drives, and finally write the card from Sentinel.

I think fat32 has a max size of 2TB or something like that, so not a problem with SD cards. Use 32GB as those are more common and cheap and you do not need bigger sizes. Going beyond 32GB needs special tricks in the SD card controller that could make some SD cards incompatible. That's why you see most devices warning about going larger then 32GB.

/Ubbe

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

NP....

A few months ago, I researched the most heavy duty mini-SD cards available. There were a number that were mentioned, but the Sammy and a SanDisk were at the top. The Sammmys were readily available and cheap, so Amazon Prime - click....

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I've never actually tried partitioning a larger drive with a 32M partition to see.

Sorry, it is escaping me at the moment, but FAT32 also has certain size limits, no...?

No partitions required - just format the entire card. But again, it's not "officially supported".

Status
Not open for further replies.