Fire-Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!

First off this is my first time ever visiting the State of Pennsylvania. It is a nice place to visit, with the exception of everybody laughing at me when I order sweet tea when eating.

I have noticed a lot of volunteer firefighters around here displying Fire-Police Id tags and blue lights on there vehicles. I do know that from the past that every volunteer from Pennsylvania north runs blue lights on private vehicles, just like West Virginia south runs red lights. I knew about the blue lights, because we had a boy from Pennsylvania move to my county and join my rescue squad. He was stopped just about everytime he would drive, because of his blue lights. Finally he got tried of being harrased he changed the lenses to red and has not had any problems since.

My main question is what do Fire-Police? Obvisiously they fight fire, but are they allowed to carry firearms and have police powers of arrest?

I know that it may sound stupid to some of you, but were I am from (North Carolina) Fire does its thing and Police does its thing. There is no combining the duties.

Also, I have noticed that every county that I have visited uses the very low band channels. I am just wanting to know if the reception is that good so that pagers will alert. Again were I am from we have trouble with both Vhf and Uhf frequencies alerting pagers. I know our Highway Patrol is on 42 MHz and I have to worst time trying to hear them on my MT-1000 Portable.

Please don't laugh, because like I said this is the first time I have been North as far as Washington D.C.

Thanks for your time!

David

KI4gbj

North Carolina

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy

Fire-Police really don't fight fire at all. And they also don't carry firearms. Their main function is to provide traffic control at major incidents where there are roadblocks (Fires, Motor vehicle accident, wires down, etc). They are vital to public safety because this way the local PD's do not need to tie up several units at once on traffic control. Usually they are associated with and dispatched as part of the local fire department. Sometimes they use just blue lights, but some use both red and blue.

Hope you enjoy your stay in PA. Where will you be staying?

ChrisRupert

Yes, the Fire Police are vital to the safety of the public and other Public Safety professionals.

In Clinton County, Station 48 is the county group of the fire police and are dispatched upon request of Law Enforcement officers or the fire department for traffic control and scene security.

By law, they aren't allowed to carry any weapons or firearms. They do have limited police power according to the law such as detaining a suspect prior to Police arrival, etc.

As far as the lighting, all Fire Police should be running blue lights. The Fire Police Captain and Lieutenant are authorized red lights and sirens according to Title 75 (Vehicle Code). Only Fire-department owned Fire Police vehicles should be running the red-blue combination. This was changed years ago to try to eliminate the confusion between Law Enforcement and FP Vehicles.

RedPenguin

First off this is my first time ever visiting the State of Pennsylvania. It is a nice place to visit, with the exception of everybody laughing at me when I order sweet tea when eating.

Wow, that's funny, because I'm actually from PA and currently live in PA. West End section of the city of Johnstown in Cambria County to be exact.

I don't like unsweetened tea at all. No restaurants in my area ever seem to have sweet tea except McDonalds.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so very much!

I was just curious to see how other states conduct volunteer Fire, Ems, and Rescue business.

That's funny, because in North Carolina only the Chief and Assistant Chief's are allowed to run sirens on personal vehicles along with red lights.

I personally think it stinks. I think all officers should be allowed to have sirens. Better yet, I think it should be like it is in South Carolina. The Chief should decide if you are allowed to use a siren or not.

That's my opinion, because with today's traffic and trying to get through to the scene to assist someone is a real nightmare in North Carolina.

Well thanks again for the replys, now I have a liitle better understanding of what Fire-Police means.

David

KI4GBJ

North Carolina

scanjunkie

According to the Fire Police law. FP's have the Police powers necessary to perform their duties. They, as any private citizen, can arrest or detain. But because of the fact that they do not carry weapons that can get a little hairy. I was a Fire Police Officer for many years and was listed on a few incidents as the arresting officer and had to appear in court and everything. The law is kind of vague and full of loop holes, but either way, Fire Police are responsible for Traffic control, scene security, and crowd control. If I remember correctly there are only 8 or 9 states that have FP's. All 50 should have them if you ask me. Enjoy PA...it's a great state!!

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Again!

I never saw anybody reply to my question about most all the Pennsylvania counties using the 33 Mhz frequencies for fire paging.

I am just wanting to know if this low range is great for alerting pagers. Like I said before our State Polce uses 42 Mhz for communications, and I have a hard time receiving them on my Mt-1000 that has been turned to the maximum sensitivity.

Also, I am going to hit some nerves here, but here it goes!

In my opinion I think all Fire/Ems & Rescue should use Red lights United States Wide and Law Enforcement should use Blue Lights United States Wide.

The reason for my statement is we have a lot of problems with idiots in my state buying blue lights and using them to pull female and other drivers over to rob or assault them.

I mean there needs to be a law that only certified Law Enforcement Officers with a written authorization from there chief my purchase a blue light. If any company or vendor sells a blue light without authorization should be charged with a felony.

I am not trying to step on anybody or hurt feelings, I just think there should be a uniform color for all states, that way people traveling to other states will not be harassed for having the wrong color warning lights on their vehicle.

Just a thought!

Also, could someone please provide me a web site address to find the physical fire department names, Ems and rescue squad addresses and contact information for all counties in the State of Pennsylvania.

Thanks

David

KI4GBJ

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Again!

I never saw anybody reply to my question about most all the Pennsylvania counties using the 33 Mhz frequencies for fire paging.

I mean there needs to be a law that only certified Law Enforcement Officers with a written authorization from there chief my purchase a blue light. If any company or vendor sells a blue light without authorization should be charged with a felony.

I am not trying to step on anybody or hurt feelings, I just think there should be a uniform color for all states, that way people traveling to other states will not be harassed for having the wrong color warning lights on their vehicle.

Just a thought!

Also, could someone please provide me a web site address to find the physical fire department names, Ems and rescue squad addresses and contact information for all counties in the State of Pennsylvania.

Thanks

David

KI4GBJ

http://www.pafirefighter.net is a starting point for a list of fire and ems companies in the state. Not comprehensive, but pretty good. This site does not display properly for me using Firefox, but it works in IE.

The variation on lighting laws around the country is baffling to say the least. It certainly would not hurt to have some sort of uniformity on color use.

I would not say that most counties use lowband for dispatching any more. Maybe years ago, yes. Not now, though.

I80Cruiser

Fire Police

There are only 13 states that have Fire Police. Each state has different laws governing us. Some allow you to arrest some do not.
We have to be members of a Volunteer Fire Dept to be fire police in PA. You must be approved by the dept and by the local government body ie. Town supervisors, villegae board etc. Each department works differently. In my department (Coolbaugh Twp. Vol. F.C.) in Monroe Co. only the Capt and Leut. of Fire Police can use red lights and siren. Other members must use blue lights. But when a new chief gets voted in he may decide that I must use blue lights and no siren. There are depts. around me that the capt only has his blue light. Some depts. require you to be a fire fighter first, mine lets you join as fire police. You must take the Basic Fire Policie class within one year of joining the dept.
In Pa we do not have arrest powers or we can not detain anyone. We can only restritct. We have the powers to close roads, or restirct movement. We also do serurity at scenes. We can also assist other fire & police depts. with traffic control at Major incedents, parades, marathons and any other place deem needed but must be requested by a local governing body as above in writing.
We can also self activate anywhere in PA. If you come up to an incedent we can call it in and take over the scene until releaved by the corresponding agengy.
I hope this helps

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info I80criuser!

Just wandering if you now what other 12 states have Fire-Police

David

KI4GBJ

Steveradio

We still have our low-band 33mhz radios in our trucks but not really used much except on Mutual Aid calls. A few years ago we had to switch to High - Band (VHF). The Townships road crews mostly use low - band heavy in my areas.

Mostly 33, 37, 45, 46Mhz bands are used.

scanjunkie

Some allow you to arrest some do not...In Pa we do not have arrest powers or we can not detain anyone. We can only restrict.

Hey Cruiser,
I was a Fire Police Captain in PA for many years and did some extensive research into the laws governing Fire police. I went as far as contacting the Attorney General for clarification on some issues.
Anyone in the good Ole US of A can place someone under arrest. It falls under the right to execute a citizens arrest. It doesn't matter if you are acting in the capacity of a Fire Police or not. You can arrest...anyone can! The Fire police law, The Act of 1941, Amended by Act 122 of 1980, it specifically states, "shall have the police powers necessary to perform their duties when functioning as special fire police."

Status
Not open for further replies.