• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Firestik truck placement

Backwoods40

Haven't had a CB in many years. Last one was $25 at K-mart with a short mag mount and worked great.

Just bought a new CB and 3ft firestik and best swr I can get on 1 and 40 is about 2.25 (separate meter).
I tried adding an 8 gauge wire for better antenna ground, but it didn't make a difference.

I know having it centered on the roof is best, but is there a better placement option for the firestik if I'm not drilling a hole in the roof?
CB.jpg

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Confirming, the 2.25 VSWR is after tuning the antenna? Did the VSWR change at all when you were tuning the tip? If the added ground didn't help, I suspect a faulty cable or connector problem. Don't forget to put the red cap back on the antenna before you check the VSWR again.

Firestik antennae should tune out to very low 1s

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Here is how I installed my amateur radio antennas. Of course, you will need a toolbox that is grounded to the truck but this has worked really well for me. I have the full length stainless whip as shown in the photo, the other side of the box has a mount for a selection of Hamsticks for a number of bands. It could just as well be a Firestick.

IMG_20240324_102334571_HDR.jpg

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Welcome.

Is this to be a toy with which a mile or so of RX/TX under best conditions would meet the goal?

One can dick around a long time in avoiding what works . . and wind up spending more money to have received less.

Successful models (examples) are available. Templates to follow. This makes best expenditure of money & time without mistakes.

I just want a radio (is where most of us have started; but it isn’t quite plug & play).

Nothing else matters much past antenna height and mount location. The details in these two are contributors where “basically good” becomes “outstanding”.

— The coax choice & routing/protection is part of that.

— Clean 12VDC/protection is easiest to achieve as a system. Fused POS to BATT, and a NEG ground to chassis as close to radio as possible.

As a truck driver running 10k miles/month I can assure you that it just doesn’t happen that I can converse with private vehicles at significant distances, on average (2+ miles; usually up to 1-mile), unless said vehicle has optimized the antenna system. That means the large ground plane of the roof.

A permanent NMO style (research, we bring it up constantly) is all-around winner for performance & longevity with the bonus of being low-key in appearance. This mount system is what’s used for Fire, Police, EMT, etc.

To get by in the meantime (don’t expect too much) would be a Mag Mount

Be aware you need an antenna with a minimum of 5’ length to be “competitive”. (Can hear, and get heard, in the majority of circumstances).

With this mag mount addition to what you’ve already spent you’d have been most of the way in expense towards an NMO antenna system. Actual radio rig performance.

A 64” whip on a NMO-34b is how I’d do it.
Add a rain cap cover to the mount when you’ve stowed the antenna away.

There are more details for those wanting high performance, but the above was the crucial set of decisions.

This thread link will acquaint you with what the majority experience. The blame falls on “no one uses it”, when that’s simply not true. There’s context (links within my posts), and there’s having installed a radio rig that gets the job done.

The overwhelming number of users 40-50 years back gave an erroneous impression of what was necessary to get a good rig. Yes, it was easier in some regards — and background noise was lower — but the basics haven’t changed.

The complaints made in that thread are representative of many thousands of other posts or opinions across the Net and over the past 25-years. Not accurate.

Gear + Install matter most. “Context” is second, and easily confusing to the great majority. Context is two-part given truck driver use, then the difficulties encountered with atmospheric Skip currently at play. To the best of my knowledge no one else has covered these two in this depth (why I wrote what I did).

Citizen Band is today for the few, yes. But those you’ll encounter having yourself installed a HQ radio rig will meet what prompted the desire in the first place.

My health & wealth are affected by my intelligent use of this radio service. The expense of my radio rig is returned to me several times annually. That’s before the pleasure of company while traveling alone.

You’ve arrived at the right time. Radios with integrated NRC have revolutionized what’s possible at low expense.

Antenna plan is first.
Power is second
Radio is last.

Last edited:

Backwoods40

Confirming, the 2.25 VSWR is after tuning the antenna? Did the VSWR change at all when you were tuning the tip? If the added ground didn't help, I suspect a faulty cable or connector problem. Don't forget to put the red cap back on the antenna before you check the VSWR again.

Firestik antennae should tune out to very low 1s

Yes, this is the best I could achieve after tuning. Started out of the box @ 1.1 on ch1 and 5 on ch40
I have 2 new coax cables and tried them both.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Yes, this is the best I could achieve after tuning. Started out of the box @ 1.1 on ch1 and 5 on ch40
I have 2 new coax cables and tried them both.
How about the short cable between the meter and the radio. Are you using a good quality cable and connectors and that were assembled correctly? Where did you buy your main radio cable and connectors from, hopefully it wasn't from an on-line discounted multi-product reseller that does not specialized in radio electronics and markets a gazillion products that are purchased from corporations that are located in a non-english far-away land where the product quality is highly questionable.

In the beginning of the tune, in order to get the VSWR on Ch. 40 down to a respectable number, did you screw the tip in to shorten the length? The Firestiks will tune into the low-to-mid 1s without any problems. I guess 2.25 is better than a poke in the eye with a dull stick and is less than 3.

Backwoods40

Yes, good coax on the meter. I can easily get 1 or 40 down to 1.1, but if one end is at 1.1, the other end is pushing 5.
I'm running a signalplus brand cable from the antenna. Not familiar with the brand, but will try something else.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if your results are characteristic to the 3 foot Stik. You might want to try the 5 foot Stik. I've always used the 5 foot Stik in not so good locations too however my results are 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 across band.

20240512_061923_resized_1(1).jpg20240108_132809_resized.jpg

HartB

I’m thinking your ground wire attempt is causing the high readings. How long is the ground wire? Why was it used? If the bracket is attached to the metal body you shouldn’t need any more grounding unless the body is not bonded (ground) to the frame…..I’ve done quite a few rangers and I’m sure the body is attached to the frame. That antenna being top loaded should work very well there. Sounds like you are overtuning the screw in the top. Yes the 3’ are known to be narrow banded but should cover all 40 of the cb band with acceptable results…..try getting a 1.1 on ch 20 then check 1 and 40 without doing any tuning…..if done right 20 will be 1.1 and 1 and 40 should be 1.5 or close to it maybe 1.7. Try removing the ground wire as this should not be needed since rf ground uses the surface area of the metal under it you have plenty of that. The goal is to set the lowest swr in the middle of the band not one end. If you center tune on ch1 then ch20 is the top and 20 below is the bottom….this is off center tuning and is useful for 26.755-27.205. Cb band is 26.965-27.405 and to cover this properly you should center tune at 27.205 giving you acceptable swr from 26.965-27.405. You should also calibrate the meter each time you move to a different channel to get accurate readings.

Backwoods40

I’m thinking your ground wire attempt is causing the high readings. How long is the ground wire? Why was it used

As I mentioned previously, I tried adding additional ground due to the high readings, so no, that wasn't the cause.
I did try two different coax cables and had the same problem, but bought a third cable because everything else seems perfect.

Now with the new cable, I'm getting 1:1 mid channels, and 1.5 on 1 and 40.

I appreciate everyone's input!

niceguy71

Welcome.

Is this to be a toy with which a mile or so of RX/TX under best conditions would meet the goal?

One can dick around a long time in avoiding what works . . and wind up spending more money to have received less.

you really think someone can get a mile with a 3 foot firestick that's mounted behind the cab??? ...who knows maybe if everything is tuned perfectly

Backwoods40

you really think someone can get a mile with a 3 foot firestick that's mounted behind the cab??? ...who knows maybe if everything is tuned perfectly

I was talking to a guy last night on AM 112 miles away in another state.
I've talked skip to the UK.

I'm thinking of upgrading the antenna now to see how much more I can really do.

Oh, and replaced my CB with the QT-80.
Now I'm curious if I would get a better signal with a 56" centered mag mount, or a 102" whip on the side to replace the firestik.

Davidbt

Now I'm curious if I would get a better signal with a 56" centered mag mount, or a 102" whip on the side to replace the firestik.
It's going to be at least 4 weeks before I get my QT-80 and Tram 3500 installed. My 5th gen Ram is a 4 door with a pretty big roof. I'm thinking it should do really well. The Tram has a 5' antenna. My trucks cab is roughly 6' tall. It should give me roughly 11'

Backwoods40

It's going to be at least 4 weeks before I get my QT-80 and Tram 3500 installed. My 5th gen Ram is a 4 door with a pretty big roof. I'm thinking it should do really well. The Tram has a 5' antenna. My trucks cab is roughly 6' tall. It should give me roughly 11'

You're going to love it.
I still can't get over how well I get out there, and everyone says I'm loud and clear.

Although I'm blown away with it so far, I feel like I'm losing so much potential with this antenna.
I looked at the Tram and it's one I'm still considering.
I'm just not sure performance wise, if it would be better to go with the mag mount, or if a 102 would do well mounted to the side like that.

I initially just wanted to get something basic up and running, but now that I've experienced what I didn't think possible, I want to go with the best possible antenna solution.

niceguy71

the 112 miles on AM must be skip?????
the true test of a cb system is a stock 4 watt CB....... a 4 watt CB with everything tuned to perfection with every trick known to man
in terrible conditions it may get a mile... and in the best conditions possible it may get 10 to 20 miles..... not many times a 4 watt CB can make it more than 15 miles......best I've ever heard of a FireStick getting is 5 miles in PERFECT conditions... if you can get over 6 miles with a 3 foot FireStick it's about the best you'll ever get.. and if you can do over 15 miles with the FireStick don't change a thing!

that QT 80 is going to be the best cb out there for a couple years.... and should keep you very happy for many years.
112 miles on a 3 foot Firestick not mounted over a large piece of metal body panel???... you will NEVER get better than that with the greatest antenna in the world!
just keep the FireStick!!!!

112 miles???? that QT 80 is NEVER, going to make it more than 25-30 miles in a mobile application... even if it was on a 50 foot plus tall base station tower, it might make 40 - to 50 miles in the most perfect conditions EVER.....
so honestly don't waste your money changing the radio or your antenna... you've made it! you've got the best CB of anyone I've ever heard of!

niceguy71

the 112 miles on AM must be skip?????
the true test of a cb system is a stock 4 watt CB....... a 4 watt CB with everything tuned to perfection with every trick known to man
in terrible conditions it may get a mile... and in the best conditions possible it may get 10 to 20 miles..... not many times a 4 watt CB can make it more than 15 miles......best I've ever heard of a FireStick getting is 5 miles in PERFECT conditions... if you can get over 6 miles with a 3 foot FireStick it's about the best you'll ever get.. and if you can do over 15 miles with the FireStick don't change a thing!

that QT 80 is going to be the best cb out there for a couple years.... and should keep you very happy for many years.
112 miles on a 3 foot Firestick not mounted over a large piece of metal body panel???... you will NEVER get better than that with the greatest antenna in the world!
just keep the FireStick!!!!

112 miles???? that QT 80 is NEVER, going to make it more than 25-30 miles in a mobile application... even if it was on a 50 foot plus tall base station tower, it might make 40 - to 50 miles in the most perfect conditions EVER.....
so honestly don't waste your money changing the radio or your antenna... you've made it! you've got the best CB of anyone I've ever heard of!
I've watched a lot of people try in vain to get over 10 miles out of a CB.... I've seen some non legal radios ( lot more than 4 watts) get 15-20 miles range on AM ... the best I've ever seen on 4 watts is this video posted below Erik from Far Point Farms great guy very honest.... if he say's he got 18 miles on a 4 watt radio I believe him and that is the best out of all the you tube videos on youtube.
so again you would be CRAZY to replace what you have

and Mower Junkie is one very smart CB guy... he does great on his installs..... he got 7.5 miles on cheap yard sale equipment... but that 7.5 miles on a stock radio is damn good!

Last edited: