Firmware Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Hope someone can help.
When I tried to update the firmware on a BCD996T it removed the old firmware,but didn't update.
So now the unit powers on but displays "Registration Key Required. Resend update with Key"
I have no key as this was the ESN/ESN Check sum update. version 1.04.12
I had this happen befor on a 396T but was able to delete and reload the files and got it corrected.
No such luck on this one(996T)
When I download the Zip folder it is in Adobe,and adobe won't open it.
Iv'e tried deleteing the file over and over and can't get the download from Uniden to load on my PC
I tried to explain this best I can,as I'm not as pc adept as most here so bear with me.
Thanks,
TGP

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Firmware

Hope someone can help.
When I tried to update the firmware on a BCD996T it removed the old firmware,but didn't update.
So now the unit powers on but displays "Registration Key Required. Resend update with Key"
I had this happen befor on a 396T but was able to delete and reload the files and got it corrected.
Iv'e tried deleteing the file over and over and can't get the download from Uniden to load on my PC
I tried to explain this best I can,as I'm not as pc adept as most here so bear with me.
Thanks,
TGP

With all those scanners one would think you would know how to update firmware...Anyway the 996T current firmware is 3.02. Check with UPMAN for instructions on the MAJOR firmware UPDATE and the required ESN that Uniden requires. This information is also available on the UNIDEN website

Highpockets

Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
TGP

Just asking, did you follow the directions posted here:

BCD996TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Firmware Update

It All Starts on the Web
No matter which scanner you have, your first stop for getting the latest updates into your scanner is My Uniden. Start by registering your scanner, then follow the links to get the updates you need.

The general steps to apply the update are:

Register your scanner (you don't need to enter the ESN/Checksum, yet).
For the BCD396T, download and install ESN_Loader. For the BCD996T, download and install BC_VUP 2.0.0.3 and download and uncompress the V1.04.12 update.
For the BCD396T, run the ESN_Loader application and follow the on-screen instructions. For the BCD996T, run the BC_VUP application, select the V1.04.12 update when prompted, then follow the on-screen instructions
For either scanner, navigate in its menu to MENU --> Settings --> See Scanner Info --> Firmware Version and make a note of your scanner's ESN and 3-digit/letter checksum.
Update the registration information for your scanner with the ESN and checksum.
On your "All My Scanners" page, click the link for "Get Registration Key" then select the "Get Key" button on the window that opens.
Download the V2 update by selecting the link on your "All My Scanners" page then unzip it to a folder on your PC.
Apply the update to your scanner using BC_VUP, entering that scanner's registration key when prompted.

As you can see from the screen shot, you'll have a little different path to take depending on whether you have a BCD396T or a BCD996T. Take it step by step and you'll be updated before you know it.

(Information taken from UNDIEN's website)

Last edited:

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Well Thank You!
Yes, I have folowed the instructions and registered the radio along with all the others.
And in case you missunderstood I can get the BC_VUP 2.0.0.3 to down load to my PC
I can not however get the V1.04.12 to load onto my pc.
So you see Ihave done everything you posted.
So it may possibly be an isue with my pc?
I have updated the other radios,but removed the prograhm from my PC. Should probably not have done that because now I need it again and it won't load.
And as you know I will not get any further(majior) updates in this radio until I add the esn checksum.

scanchs

TGP,

It sounds like you have an incorrect file extension association to Adobe on your computer. It shouldn't be trying to open Adobe for either of these files. The downloaded .zip file, and the .scn file that gets generated from that .zip file, shouldn't be associated with Adobe at all. When you unzip the downloaded .zip file, you should see a .scn file. If you're not, then you're not getting the file unzipped properly, and that's the problem. Once you get the .zip file unzipped, you should see a .scn file which simply needs to be saved to the folder that BC_VUP resides in. On an XP machine, that folder is C:\Program Files\Uniden\BC_VUP. After you have saved the .scn file to that folder, try to run BC_VUP again. Good luck! :)

ScanCHS

TGP

Premium Subscriber
TGP,

It sounds like you have an incorrect file extension association to Adobe on your computer. It shouldn't be trying to open Adobe for either of these files. The downloaded .zip file, and the .scn file that gets generated from that .zip file, shouldn't be associated with Adobe at all. When you unzip the downloaded .zip file, you should see a .scn file. If you're not, then you're not getting the file unzipped properly, and that's the problem. Once you get the .zip file unzipped, you should see a .scn file which simply needs to be saved to the folder that BC_VUP resides in. On an XP machine, that folder is C:\Program Files\Uniden\BC_VUP. After you have saved the .scn file to that folder, try to run BC_VUP again. Good luck! :)

ScanCHS

Thanks.!
That's what I'm thinking too.
I tried downloading the update on my laptop,and it worked fine. But I have no way to load the scanner from it because the scanner cable won't plug into the laptop anywhere.
Must need some type of adapter.
I didn't think adobe should be doing anthing with the file.
It won't even open to unzip.
Now I have to figure out why adobe is causing this.
I wonder if I should uninstall adobe and try the download again? Or deleting all my IE cookies and temp.files.
Which I do on a regular basis anyway.
Thanks Again,
TGP

jackj

Click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer. Click on Tools>Folder Options. Click on the "File Types" tab. Scroll down through the list until you find .ZIP, highlight it and the program used to open the file will be listed as "opens with". Click "Change" and find the proper program on your machine, mine uses Winzip. Then when you double click on a file with the extension of .zip, the file will be opened with the program you specified.

dougjgray

if the file has the .zip extension and opens with adobe, you can try presuming win xp right clicking on the file and select 'Open With' from the menu, you may see options for 'compressed (Zipped) Folder' or maybe winzip, Might be worth a try anyway

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the thoughts and help.
Iv'e installed an unzip program and is of no help. Just gives me more error messages
I believe my problem is a corrupted zip file from deleting it (or thought I deleted it) earlier as I mentioned.
When I click "run" on the Uniden download it goes way to fast and it's done. When I try to open it I get various error messages.
So now I need to figure out how to remove a corrupted archived Zip file from Windows XP,and start over.
Thanks for the help
TGP

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Select the file, then press the Delete button.

Sounds like you need a PC guru to come over and fix the file associates in your PC.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Select the file, then press the Delete button.

Sounds like you need a PC guru to come over and fix the file associates in your PC.

HAHA
Thanks UPMan.
I have selected the file and hit delete. The folder icon goes away but I can't download your update.

Don't suppose there is anyway to reinstall the firmware without the checksum update?

Oh and I'm talking with a pc guru as I write,lol
BTW,
Thanks for all your help making scanning easy.
TGP

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Update,

Again Thanks to all who tried to help.
Got my PC cleaned up and got the Check sum and latest firmware Ver. 3.02.00 updated!

Now on to reprograming Star Com.

Thanks Again,
TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.