AR5700D First impressions

dwell1650

I know I took a huge risk when I bought this newly released and unproven receiver and now after 6 weeks it happily still works like a charm. I haven't run into any serious bugs, problems or other faults. In fact it is in pair with my R&S EB200 in matter of performance. Very good sensitivity and its strong signal handling is excellent. I have a 60kW VHF FM transmitter site nearby and most wide band receivers tend to get serious problems with handling these strong emissions. But this one doesn’t seem to be affected at all. I think it’s even a tad better than the EB200 in this respect. EB200 is a bit nervous compared to 5700D which has a rock stable noise level.

The overall sound quality from its internal speaker is clear and crisp and a joy to listen to. I find no need to connect any outer speaker. And I like its ergonomics. Very nice tactile feelings on buttons, dials and the VFO wheel feels very smooth too.

I made a simple measurement of scan speeds by timing how long it takes to scan 100 channels:
  • FM and most digital modes: 100 ch/s
  • AM: 50 ch/s
  • TETRA-TC is super slow: 1 ch/s
A few cons I noticed so far:
  • As above, low scan speeds on AM and TETRA-TC mode.
  • There is no way of copy or move memory channels to other memory positions or between the banks. I really wish they could implicate a such function or develop a good memory management app.
  • Higher noise floor in AM mode compared to FM. It doesn't seem to affect AM sensitivity. But makes it hard to set the squelch for optimal sensitivity to a scan list with both FM and AM modes. Which may lead to miss weak FM signals while scanning.
  • It occasionally makes the same kind of randomly digital mode noise hiccups as its sibling DV-1 does. This is not a big deal for me but it may be bothering for some.
These are things they hopefully may fix in future firmware updates.

I realize this receiver is not for everyone. It is expensive and most may rather prefer an Icom R8600 with color touchscreen for almost the half of the price tag. But if you are as crazy like me who like the AOR concept and are into a modern high end receiver in a classic old school look it may be the way to go.

Overall I’m very happy with this gem.

DSCN0087a.jpg

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I know I took a huge risk when I bought this newly released and unproven receiver and now after 6 weeks it happily still works like a charm. I haven't run into any serious bugs, problems or other faults. In fact it is in pair with my R&S EB200 in matter of performance. Very good sensitivity and its strong signal handling is excellent. I have a 60kW VHF FM transmitter site nearby and most wide band receivers tend to get serious problems with handling these strong emissions. But this one doesn’t seem to be affected at all. I think it’s even a tad better than the EB200 in this respect. EB200 is a bit nervous compared to 5700D which has a rock stable noise level.

The overall sound quality from its internal speaker is clear and crisp and a joy to listen to. I find no need to connect any outer speaker. And I like its ergonomics. Very nice tactile feelings on buttons, dials and the VFO wheel feels very smooth too.

I made a simple measurement of scan speeds by timing how long it takes to scan 100 channels:
  • FM and most digital modes: 100 ch/s
  • AM: 50 ch/s
  • TETRA-TC is super slow: 1 ch/s
A few cons I noticed so far:
  • As above, low scan speeds on AM and TETRA-TC mode.
  • There is no way of copy or move memory channels to other memory positions or between the banks. I really wish they could implicate a such function or develop a good memory management app.
  • Higher noise floor in AM mode compared to FM. It doesn't seem to affect AM sensitivity. But makes it hard to set the squelch for optimal sensitivity to a scan list with both FM and AM modes. Which may lead to miss weak FM signals while scanning.
  • It occasionally makes the same kind of randomly digital mode noise hiccups as its sibling DV-1 does. This is not a big deal for me but it may be bothering for some.
These are things they hopefully may fix in future firmware updates.

I realize this receiver is not for everyone. It is expensive and most may rather prefer an Icom R8600 with color touchscreen for almost the half of the price tag. But if you are as crazy like me who like the AOR concept and are into a modern high end receiver in a classic old school look it may be the way to go.

Overall I’m very happy with this gem.

View attachment 84127
Thanks for the info. Glad it's working fine. I'm running the Icom IC-R8600 along with an AOR DV-1 and I am very happy with this setup. Keep us posted about the 5700D. Thanks.

sub101uk

AOR -5700D
Firmware main _912C D9N5D P912A
SN . 09680023

Hi Guys I bought my AR-5700D in January this year and within a few days its was found that the DALL was not working I would tune the radio to my local 70cms DMR repeater which I know 100% its DMR however the radio would tell me its DCR , dPMR , DSTAR or P25 this made things very confusing when trying to decode things . I email AOR and they told me that there was no update firmware available .Soon after these problems started the scanner started to crash every thing on the screen would just lock up the only thing I could try was a factory reset method 1 , This I did but the screen remain locked I then tried factory reset method 2 and this gave me back control . I contacted AOR and was told to return it to my dealer who would return it to the importer then would be shipped to Japan .

One month later the radio returned from Japan and the first thing I could see was the firmware had been updated to Firmware is main_912C D0N1B P912A again I did try DALL Automatic detection of digital modes and found it to be the same as it left however I found now that decoding DMR signals was very intermittent . Again I email AOR who told me that the signals I was trying to listen to were encrypted , Who on earth would encrypted a local 70 cms repeater GB7CL in Clacton Essex . AOR then told me that I would have problems if the DMR signal was weak . So I found my local hospital DMR channel on the Ofcoms list and attampting to decode this its in the clear so it should be nice and straight forward it gave me the Slot + Col however it was very intermittent to decode please note the local hospital is so close to me I can see there building and gives me a 20 over 9 signal . As well as these 2 signals I went to my local shop watch DMR channel and again it was found to be very intermittent and once again the radio was boxed up and shipped back to the dealer who sent it back to the importer . If your wondering why I cant ship straight to the import its because of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules in the UK . So the radio was then shipped back to Japan and its still there and I hope to get it back soon .

I have sent still pictures I have sent videos showing the problem but still the nightmare continues however when the radio returns this time if its found to in the same state as it left I will be taking it back to the main importer a return trip of about 350 miles and showing them face to face what the problems are as its clear they nor AOR have any idea as I bought this radio in January and we are now May and after spending £4.5K have nothing to show for it .

After reading all the above you would have thought they would have just changed over the radio as who knows I might just have a duff one but so far the nightmare just goes on . Should any of you wish to read the full account with pictures and videos your find it on the AOR groups on facebook . So if you were thinking of buying a 5700D please wait for about a year maybe by then the firmware might be sorted out other wise leave it well alone . 73

Attachments

• AOR AR-5700D.PNG
    AOR AR-5700D.PNG
    300.1 KB · Views: 144

dwell1650

@sub101uk - I'm very sorry to read about these issues you seem to have with your unit. I have the same firmware installed as you and I don't have any of these issues you seem to have there. So it feels like a HW issue.

I really hope they will sort it out for you.

sub101uk

Well I hope so as well all on on the firmware are you on the original Firmware main _912C D9N5D P912A or the new Firmware main_912C D0N1B P912A . I do hope when it returns from Japan its fixed as my patience is running thin after spending £4.5 K and 5 month in still having nothing to show for it . 73

sub101uk

Ok understood your on the original how do you find searching in DALL mode ? Mine would just come up with any digital mode so the best way to decode was if you knew the mode already you just switch it to DMR . Which means scanning in DALL very hard because the receiver would stop and tell you it was DCR transmission when in fact it was DMR so you ended up chasing your own tail .

dwell1650

I just did a double check to be sure it still works as it should and DALL works fine to my receiver.
I never had any such issues.

sub101uk

Understood I wish I could say the same . Where in the UK are you ? When the radio comes back from Japan if found to be the same I will take the radio back to the main importer and compare it with other radios that they have in stock my main problem to date is not being able to compare the radio with other 5700D or other scanners .I could not find any one in Essex even with a DV1 because I have been told the DALL and DMR works well .

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Could you make a couple of videos showing the radio being used on HF
And post the links

sub101uk

Best you speak to dwell1650 as mine is in Japan for repairs but if you were thinking of buying one I should wait until they sort out the firmware .

dwell1650

Could you make a couple of videos showing the radio being used on HF
And post the links
I may do a video later. Can you be a little more specific of what you would like to see?

Btw. I just saw a Japanese video of some guy who seem to make a brief comparing to the older AR5xxx receivers.

sub101uk

Well I bought mine for VHF / UHF Digital side of things and for with the current firmware installed main_912C D0N1B P912A I think you would be far better to buy a Icom 8600 + Bolt it onto a DV1 as in the UK your talking about £4500+ , Just think what you could do with £4500 until they sort out the firmware you are buying a can and best left well alone but give it a year or so and AOR might be on top of the firmware side of things as if you go to there web site there is no upgrade for the firmware and the radio has to be returned to Japan .Since I bought the radio in january its been away for 75 % of the time why they have not exchanged the radio I have no idea . The Attached picture is the first time it arrived back from Japan however within 24 hours it was back in its box being returned with the same fault plus unable to decode DMR .

Attachments

• AR-5700D-min.jpg
    AR-5700D-min.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 33

c0ne

A new AOR product without its obvious bugs sounds too good to be true. I think ever since the release of the dv1( don’t know before) there have been obvious code bugs, just a matter of time before you run into them.

dwell1650

@cOne Don't tell me you're disappointed.
Of course do I expect at least some bugs and I will tell you as soon I find any. I hate bugs as much as you do.

c0ne

@cOne Don't tell me you're disappointed.
Of course do I expect at least some bugs and I will tell you as soon I find any. I hate bugs as much as you do.
Not disappointed, just being very skeptical about AOR getting things right from the start. Assuming it’s made by the same people who made the previous stuff. Anyways thanks for sharing your experience.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I may do a video later. Can you be a little more specific of what you would like to see?

Btw. I just saw a Japanese video of some guy who seem to make a brief comparing to the older AR5xxx receivers.

just some SSB signals in the ham bands
Would be good

sub101uk

Best leave it well alone until they sort the firmware out as you could buy a load of cheaper radio for allot less than £4500+

Andy3

Dwell, what's the quality of decoded DMR and similar modes? I find that my DV1 often makes the voices almost unreadable, sometimes sounding like grunts and squawks. Even when it's decoding smoothly it sounds very odd. Thanks.

sub101uk

I would say with the original firmware main _912C D9N5D P912A and the radio set in DMR mode yes it does decode DMR and like you say sounds like grunts + squawks but in DALL mode it come up with any digital mode . Since they changed my firmware over to main_912C D0N1B P912A the DALL problem still remains and if the radio is set in DMR mode decoding is very intermittent and I found that it seems to decode better after the radio had been on over night so maybe its a temperature thing . I only wish I could find a owner of a DV1 that lived in Essex that I could put both radios side by side and compare them .