• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"Fixing GMRS" - an Editorial (AKA everyone's GMRS ideas go here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelsHumanDad

This has been an interesting discussion.

The biggest changes I'd like to see the FCC make for GMRS:
  • Sunset the FRS overlay. Move FRS somewhere else; 900 MHz, a tiny swath of 70 cm. ham frequencies, maybe combine with MURS and divvy up some of those 162-174 MHz Federal frequencies that are virtually unused.
Just my $0.02
This right here^
Take channels 15 through 22 away from the low power FRS users with their department store bubble pack radios. Let those channels be GMRS only. Keep the bleep-bloops and beeps and kiddies singing the alphabet off that range of channels.
Or make everything 467.*** GMRS only and 462.*** FRS only. Not going to happen, I know, but find some way to separate the two services.

over and out, bleep-bloop! :rolleyes:

nd5y

I was more hoping the CB'ers would take over 10 meters to piss off all the amateurs. (don't worry, I'm a ham also, and I just like seeing them get worked up into a lather over things)
They might not be able tell the difference.
Once I heard a ham call CQ on a 10 m repeater. Some guy answered the ham using a fake 3 letter 3 number callsign that started with X. The dumb OF ham had no clue he was working a bootlegger.

ecps92

Happens more often than Not even on the FM [2m, 220, 440, 900 bands as well]
unless a club trustee/board member catches it and looks up the info....

Some when finally confronted do end up taking the exam, but.....
They might not be able tell the difference.
Once I heard a ham call CQ on a 10 m repeater. Some guy answered the ham using a fake 3 letter 3 number callsign that started with X. The dumb OF ham had no clue he was working a bootlegger.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Take channels 15 through 22 away from the low power FRS users with their department store bubble pack radios. Let those channels be GMRS only.
Too late. You can't take anything away from FRS as thousands, maybe millions, of FRS radios are already out there with those channels. Yes, they will eventually fail and be discarded. But, that will take years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ya know, a lot of these suspected issues could be solved a whole lot easier than rejiggering the entire radio system.

Interference issues:
A - Require all new radios built or imported into the country to meet higher technical specs. That might mean FCC needs to get into the testing business, or have their own third party test labs.
Of course that'll drive up costs a bit, and the great unwashed masses will be upset that they can no longer buy a Cheap Chinese Radio off Amazon for $19.00 that runs 10 watts, transmit on VHF and UHF, have a built in flashlight and mosquito repeller, and are disposable (because I don't want to risk my $100 radio…)
B - All repeater owners, regardless of radio service, will be required to actually align their systems annually. Receiver frequency must be within 300Hz of assigned frequency.
C - Any person caught in possession of a "golden screwdriver" without also owning a calibrated service monitor will be hanged by the neck until dead, then fined $50.

Range issues:
Require radios to meet specific and stringent receiver sensitivity and selectivity values.
Again, that'll mean Cheap Chinese Radios will no longer be $19 for a pack of 10, (might only get 9 in the pack). FRS radios will need to spend more than 30 seconds being aligned at the factory. Cute 1.5 inch tall antennas will be out. Consumers might be stuck with "huge and ugly" 6 inch tall antennas (gasp!!!!, the horrors!) For CB radio, users might actually need to use a resonate antenna and learn about ground planes. CB radio installers will be required to prove they know how to spell "SWR". Anyone asking for a "low profile mag mount CB antenna because it might not clear the garage, and I don't want to drill a hole in my 30 year old rusted out Toyota" will be put in jail with nothing to eat but bread and water for 60 days.

User issues:
Radio users would be required to understand that radio is not "magic" and no matter what their cell phone can do, your FRS radio is not going to talk to your friend 5 states away.

Ham radio operators:
Hams would not be permitted to insist that anyone who wants to use a radio "should just get their ham license". Any ham caught in the act of doing this will have their $19 radio that is "better than a Motorola" confiscated for 60 days.

Death of the hobby:
Any hobbyist caught uttering these words, either in person or online will be sent to the cooler for 30 days with Colonel Hogan.

Reading the rules:
Radio users, especially hams, will be required to read and comprehend the FCC rules that apply to the radio service they are using. Amateur radio operators will be required to read Part 97, Part 2 and Part 15 annually and sign a statement saying they understand that their amateur radio license does not give them free reign of all spectrum from DC to Daylight, including all public safety frequencies even though "they are practically first responders".

Blinky lights:
Any hobbyist caught with any color strobe, rotating beacon or other emergency light intended to impact traffic flow in any way will be required to listen to every single Kenny G album ever recorded. Twice. Earplugs will not be permitted.

Any hobbyist caught with an orange vest, name tag with your call sign, or any item resembling a badge of a duly sworn officer of the law, will be required to attend no less than 2 weeks of psychiatric evaluation and retraining.

OK, so I went a little far there, but the first couple would solve a lot of these issues.

russbrill

This has been an interesting discussion.

The biggest changes I'd like to see the FCC make for GMRS:
  • Sunset the FRS overlay. Move FRS somewhere else; 900 MHz, a tiny swath of 70 cm. ham frequencies, maybe combine with MURS and divvy up some of those 162-174 MHz Federal frequencies that are virtually unused.
  • Consider establishing a standardized GMRS simplex call channel and a simplex work channel.
  • Implement frequency coordination for repeater stations. Go back to having a specified repeater pair marked on your FCC license and have a coordinator that assigns PL/DPL tones and maintains an accurate database. In the end, this protects the repeater owner's investment as well as all the users on the system. MyGMRS.com is littered with inaccuurate information and isn't a reliable alternative.
  • Look to the future and determine whether you want to narrowband our current channel pairs or implement DMR. The hard, fast truth is our glut of quality wideband-capable commercial radio equipment is sinking in the quicksand a little more every day.
Just my $0.02

I agree, Repeaters should be licensed with a little more information available about them in the FCC Database.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Too late. You can't take anything away from FRS as thousands, maybe millions, of FRS radios are already out there with those channels. Yes, they will eventually fail and be discarded. But, that will take years.

That's how we got baby monitors off the upper end of the AM broadcast band. The FCC simply issues a rule change that says "effective January 1, 2021, it is illegal to market or sell a Family Radio Service transceiver in the United States that operates on the 462-467 MHz frequency band. All FRS transceivers sold after 1/1/21 must operate on designated frequencies in the (220, 440, 900, 172, whatever) band meeting [xxx] technical specifications."

It's very doable. You sunset the manufacturing, marketing, and sale of the equipment, then allow the current equipment a few more years to age out and be replaced, then forbid FRS operation on the GMRS overlay channels after a selected date in the future. No one stopped buying baby monitors because they were ejected from the AM broadcast band. Just provide a place for FRS to go and people will be happy. Easy peasey.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I do believe an excellent point was raised about type acceptance. Why couldn't the FCC specify in Part 95 that any radio that meets type acceptance under Part 90 and is capable of being programmed for wide band emissions on GMRS frequencies automatically meets type acceptance requirements for GMRS under Part 95?

There is absolutely no question that commercial grade Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, GE/MaCom/Harris is as good (actually MUCH better, in my opinion) as the Chinese junk that barely passes Part 95 type acceptance and is only designed for GMRS and FRS.

This ought to be a very simple rule change that would have zero negative effect on the GMRS service. It would also stop the senseless hand-wringing of radio nerds that lose sleep over licensees using commercial equipment that isn't Part 95 type accepted.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I'm curious about this too...or...err asking for a friend.
I do believe an excellent point was raised about type acceptance. Why couldn't the FCC specify in Part 95 that any radio that meets type acceptance under Part 90 and is capable of being programmed for wide band emissions on GMRS frequencies automatically meets type acceptance requirements for GMRS under Part 95?

There is absolutely no question that commercial grade Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, GE/MaCom/Harris is as good (actually MUCH better, in my opinion) as the Chinese junk that barely passes Part 95 type acceptance and is only designed for GMRS and FRS.

This ought to be a very simple rule change that would have zero negative effect on the GMRS service. It would also stop the senseless hand-wringing of radio nerds that lose sleep over licensees using commercial equipment that isn't Part 95 type accepted.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And, for how many years after the FCC changed the rules to prohibit baby monitors from operating in the upper end of the AM broadcast band did you still hear baby monitors there? Didn't happen over night, did it.

People who have FRS radios made illegal by these proposals will either not get the message or they simply won't care. Yeah, sure, some of them will buy new radios. But, you'd just have to wait for the rest of them to fail and be discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.