SDR# Fixing the SDR# CTCSS plug-in

thewraith2008

This is a update for CTCSS and DCS Decoder plug-ins for SDR#.

Please note the addition of a 2nd DLL requirement for these plug-ins now.
Failure to install it will result in plug-ins not starting in SDR# or errors been thrown.
NOTE: This DLL may already be installed as it has been used by some of Vasili's other plug-ins in the past.

This plug-in version adds/changes and fixes some items:
Code:
Added: Code to pass the CTCSS/DCS tone value to the Frequency Scanner plug-in (v1.2.12.0+)
- An additional DLL is required.

Changed: Aux window (CTCSS and DCS)
- Removed the window borders
- Try and match SDR# theme colors for the AUX window
- Remember AUX window position

Added: Keep Aux window open (CTCSS and DCS)

Added: Some basic documentation
- Please read it

see changelog.txt for more details

Documentation has been created to help with it's installation and usage, please read it.
NOTE: Support is not guaranteed. Especially if the answers are contained in the documentation or on this forum.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documentation to explain usage and features.
I believe any questions can be answered by reading this documentation.
This documentation most likely is not complete and may contain errors and is not laid out as good as it could be.

No real testing has been done with the newer SDR# from v1717 and above (but does work with v1838 at time of writing)
Main testing has been done with SDR# 1700.
NOTE: SDR# has been going through some changes (1732+) and it's new features may see this plug-in play up.

NOTE: To use the CTCSS/DCS feature in Frequency Scanner plug-in, you are required to update the Frequency Scanner plug-in to v2.2.12.0+. (use same link below)

Download
NOTE: Use 7zip or WinRAR to extract files from the .7z file and read the .PDF file for installation and usage of files with SDR#.
NOTE: Don't select the Download as ZIP option in MEGA, just select standard download.

HASH: 043f142e01a6b5ace976519a82308001 (ctcssdecoder_v1.3.2.0.7z)
HASH: 3219616980709d1550df94fed0951a5f (dcsdecoder_v1.3.2.0.7z)

thewraith2008

Looks like it's working OK for me

qKUijc8.png

Latest version (v2.2.13.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

That's pretty weird ! I have no idea what could be wrong here ...
Ticking 'show on spectrum" or "squelch" give the expected result, though, but decoding fails. Running v1716 on the same station is OK.

Just ran another test this morning ; as you can see KG Tone decodes the CTCSS while the plugin shows 0.0

Attachments

• ctcss.JPG
    ctcss.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 28

thewraith2008

If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the other plug-ins you have installed is affecting the IF IQ stream that the CTCSS plug-in uses.
Looking at the image, I'd say that's the IF Filter + Notch processor plug-in.

Probably the best thing to do first is create a basic new SDR# install with only the CTCSS plug-in and see if that works then go from there.

In the old SDR#, you could order the plug-ins (via Plugins.xml) so one plug-in would be processed before the other one.
Not sure how you do that with the new SDR#.
Maybe add (to the Plugins.xml) the magic line for the CTCSS plug-in to first line then next line add the magic line for IF Filter + Notch processor plug-in. You may need to place the required DLLs back in SDR# root folder for this to work (??).

Release post here

Thanks for you precious help.
I just did a fresh v1854 install and simply added the CTCSS plugin (1.3.2) : no decoding.
No idea what I could try now ...

thewraith2008

I don't know what the problem is here. The only other thing I was going to suggest was if you where using an older version of the CTCSS plug-in but you say you are using v1.3.2.0.

Please, for any further discussion for the CTCSS plug-in go here.

Release post here

Bingo, I found what the problem is !
The plugin will not work if SDR# sample rate is set to 912. Back to the 'usual' 768 kHz value, and it's working.
All OK now.
Thanks your your kind support

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
... The plugin will not work if SDR# sample rate is set to 912. Back to the 'usual' 768 kHz value, and it's working. ...
Does it work with other values? I typically use 2048 ksps. Yes, it'll do 2400, but 2048 makes it easier to identify images because they are 2k/3k off from most normal channels.

thewraith2008

I think that PatrickPierre73 is using is one of the Airspy HF+ Discovery or Airspy HF+ Dual Discovery SDRs going by image he posted.
These only have MAX samplerate of 768 Ksps (or 912 Ksps via R3.0.7 firmware update).

CTCSS & DCS Decoder plug-ins:
Latest version (v1.3.2.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

thewraith2008

Bingo, I found what the problem is !
The plugin will not work if SDR# sample rate is set to 912. Back to the 'usual' 768 kHz value, and it's working.
All OK now.
Thanks your your kind support
Good catch.

I will have a look at that issue sometime.
The HF+ Discovery I have here does not have the updated firmware in it to test.

Latest version (v1.3.2.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

Hi there !

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I also notice that 3 stations with CTCSS 71.9 are no longer decoded ; it now shows 0.0 (while there's no problem with all other values).
'KG Tone' shows 71.9, as expected.

MELERIX

I've noticed a bug in DCS Decoder 1.3.3.0 which is easy to test...

for example using a portable radio in low power and if you put 148.000 and DCS Tone D023N and press PTT for few seconds and check in SDR# the value detected by DCS Decoder and showed in spectrum (green color if you have that option enabled) you will notice that it shows +047 in spectrum which is wrong DCS code detected.

and more weird, if you put 148.000 and DCS Tone D047I and press PTT for few seconds and check in SDR# the value detected by DCS Decoder showed in spectrum it still shows +047 xD

thewraith2008

Once again, I'm not seeing what you are seeing.
The below images show what I see when I generate a DCS023 (Normal) code with a test set.
On the side panel and spectrum, it shows both +023 / -047 (note: the values show can be more but I have them filtered out as per option)

Please note that the way DCS works, both 023 and 047 are technically the same and there is no way to determine the correct one been used.
See this page for a more technical explanation of why this is so.

In 1855:
e5cx2lG.png

In v1716:
VnIQmIS.png

MELERIX

strange, I'm wondering if this issue maybe only happens in Windows 10, or due I have a different sound card, really strange anyway, btw I'm using Keenerds driver instead of the Osmo driver but no idea if this could make any difference (EDIT: no difference between Keenerds drivers and Osmo drivers, same issue happens with both).

later I'll test again but using <add key="DCS.OnlyUseDcsCodesInTable" value="1" /> too see what happens, btw will be good if you can add that option directly in the DCS Decoder panel.

Last edited:

MELERIX

ok, I've tested again, now with <add key="DCS.OnlyUseDcsCodesInTable" value="1" /> and this is the result... and as you can see it still show +047 in spectrum which is wrong code (while in the radio is D023N).

dcs-bug.png

so maybe this bug only happens with the most recent version of SDR# (1.0.0.1858) only or with Windows 10 only? really strange.

Last edited:

thewraith2008

OK, I think I know what the problem is.
Can you download the v1.3.3.0 plug-in again and retry.

You must have downloaded a first upload of v1.3.3.0.
The change I made between 1st version of v1.3.3.0 and the current version of v1.3.3.0 must have been to fix what you are now seeing.
I never announced v1.3.3.0 as been available so I've applied the fix and re-uploaded it without changing version.
Looks like you downloaded the 1st v1.3.3.0 during those few days.:cry:

In your changelog.txt it will probably have this for MD5 hash:
  • MD5 hash: 1e5ea0cb6c19a32784f758d8f3c47c38 (SDRSharp.DCSDecoder.dll)

A few days after the original upload, I re-uploaded the current v1.3.3.0
  • MD5 hash: e4d269fee56b10d0da842eee5c162cc5 (SDRSharp.DCSDecoder.dll)

Latest version (v1.3.3.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

MELERIX

OK, I think I know what the problem is.
Can you download the v1.3.3.0 plug-in again and retry.

You must have downloaded a first upload of v1.3.3.0.
The change I made between 1st version of v1.3.3.0 and the current version of v1.3.3.0 must have been to fix what you are now seeing.
I never announced v1.3.3.0 as been available so I've applied the fix and re-uploaded it without changing version.
Looks like you downloaded the 1st v1.3.3.0 during those few days.:cry:

In your changelog.txt it will probably have this for MD5 hash:
  • MD5 hash: 1e5ea0cb6c19a32784f758d8f3c47c38 (SDRSharp.DCSDecoder.dll)

A few days after the original upload, I re-uploaded the current v1.3.3.0
  • MD5 hash: e4d269fee56b10d0da842eee5c162cc5 (SDRSharp.DCSDecoder.dll)

Latest version (v1.3.3.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

confirmed, I've downloaded it again and it seems to be working fine for now :D

thank you ;)

MELERIX

btw, I've noticed that sometimes DCS codes in spectrum (if you have that option enabled) overlaps with frequency names (if you have that option enabled in Frequency Manager plugin).

bug.png