Flight Test over Selfridge / MTC ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some sort of aircraft talking on the VHF Selfridge Tower Freq ( 120.150 ) flying back and forth over the runway requesting the Air Traffic Controller turn up the brightness of the lights, turn off, flash etc etc...

I heard him say something like "We have to make sure that you guys can do that"

Around 9:25 pm Eastern Local Time.

Call is - "Flight Check 80"

The whole process was interesting never heard anything like that before sounded like he was going around airports checking lights maybe... Now he is landing at KDET / Detroit City to fuel up.

Anybody hear that or have any information on it?

-Phil

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
That would be one of the flight check aircraft that belong to the FAA's Flight Inspection Field Office (FIFO) in Battle Creek. They are responsible for certifying the navigational aids & instrument flight procedures for every airport & military airfield in a 10 state area, including ND, SD, NE, MN, IA, WI, IL, MI, IN, and OH. They have 4 aircraft assigned; 3 Beech 300's, & 1 Lear 60.

A friend of mine is one of their pilots, a retired AF Lt. Colonel; I keep trying to convince him that he needs to take me on one of his hops. :D

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

When I used to maintain an ATC radar, we did not look forward to the visit of the Flight Check plane. It can close your field, and nobody wants to have to explain that one to the bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.