Forestry/Game & Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike445

I’m in Hope AR and have been monitoring the conventional frequencies and have never heard a peep out of Game and Fish and what sounds like distant fire paving on Velvet Ridge channel for forestry. Are the conventional frequencies still in use?
Mike

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
AGFC is on AWIN now and has been for awhile. The conventional may still be in place but isn't really used. I have heard them say on AWIN to go to a channel (like, when talking to another officer they may say "hey am I close enough to you that we can go to 9?" which is a simplex, truck to truck, channel).

To hear AGFC program them on the AWIN system. The TGs are listed on the AWIN system page.

I believe Forestry has AWIN frequencies too but I think they do use conventional as well. I can't help you there as I don't really try to monitor them.

Mike445

Thank you. I should have stated I have both G&F and Forestry on AWIN. G&F is quite active in my area on AWIN. I was just contemplating dumping the conventional frequencies out of my scanner.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I should have stated I have both G&F and Forestry on AWIN. G&F is quite active in my area on AWIN. I was just contemplating dumping the conventional frequencies out of my scanner.

Oh, OK, I understand now. I wouldn't say they will never use the old as it's possible if AWIN went down, but I don't think I'd scan it regularly.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Forestry should be fully, or nearly fully on AWIN. AH&TD on the other hand is still lagging on getting moved to full AWIN use. HP has been on since the beginning, but Maintenance has been stuck on VHF. With these new upgrades etc,.. They should be getting their tails wagging on over.

downeydigs

Premium Subscriber
I’m in Union County. I have only been monitoring for a few months now, but I have never heard anything out of Forestry in AWIN. I have heard Forestry use VHF for fire grounds operations on a few different occasions over the past few months, but I didn’t pay attention to which frequency. I’m not sure if that’s their procedure statewide, or if each district does different. One fire they had at least two air tankers and a survey plane assisting them. I didn’t hear a lot of traffic from the tankers, so they might have been operating primarily on another frequency. I gathered that they were using El Dorado airport for fuel, but I think they were using another airport for water. There was a lot of traffic back and forth between the ground operations and the survey plane though, and it sounded as if the survey pilot may have been relaying instructions from the ground to the tanker pilots on another frequency.

As for AGFC, I hear a lot of traffic from them on AWIN, although it sounds like they conduct most of their business via telephone or email. Most of what I hear is “10-8”, “10-7”, “10-6 out of the vehicle on foot”, and “I’ll be out in reference to that email/phone call that I received”. Occasionally I’ll hear them doing license checks, DL/warrant checks, and vehicle registration checks. I have heard them mention switching to another frequency for unit-to-unit communications, but I have never received any traffic on any of the VHF frequencies.

I should add that I could be missing a lot of traffic, as I’m still working on my antenna situation at my house. Apparently my house is in a hole with a lot of pine trees between me and the transmitters/repeaters. I’m to the point now where I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to put up a base antenna if I want to receive both VHF high and P25 700/800.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
As for AGFC, I hear a lot of traffic from them on AWIN, although it sounds like they conduct most of their business via telephone or email. Most of what I hear is “10-8”, “10-7”, “10-6 out of the vehicle on foot”, and “I’ll be out in reference to that email/phone call that I received”. Occasionally I’ll hear them doing license checks, DL/warrant checks, and vehicle registration checks. I have heard them mention switching to another frequency for unit-to-unit communications, but I have never received any traffic on any of the VHF frequencies.

As for AGFC, this is typically what I hear most of the year. Now, this past weekend with modern gun season opening up they were out in force and busy - I heard traffic almost constantly checking licenses, talking about trying to catch some spot lighters, coordinating the search for someone that had gone missing (and was found as soon as they had about 6 units headed that way), etc. The B1 and C1 talkgroups were hopping Saturday and into Saturday night and some still on Sunday. But I agree, typically they don't seem to give a whole lot of details over the radio but they do have several talkgroups and I'm obviously only picking up those in my area where radios running on those TGs have affiliated with the local towers (typical P25 trunked system).

wbswetnam

I'm hearing a lot more AGFC traffic lately as well. As usual, I'm hearing hunters talk to each other on marine frequencies, too! Maritime service hand-helds have more power (up to 5 or 6 watts) than the piddley-little FRS radios, and they probably figure nobody's listening in on those frequencies so far inland. Wrong-o!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing a lot more AGFC traffic lately as well. As usual, I'm hearing hunters talk to each other on marine frequencies, too! Maritime service hand-helds have more power (up to 5 or 6 watts) than the piddley-little FRS radios, and they probably figure nobody's listening in on those frequencies so far inland. Wrong-o!

Haha ok that's funny right there. Probably just bought them at Bass Pro and don't know a thing about radios...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LOL In my hunting career I have talked on CB, FRS, Marine radios (glad we never got busted as your supposed to have a lic for that.), UHF (former police) HT's and mobiles (Department had moved to 800 MHz TRS)... (Again glad we never got popped lol)... So yes you never know what you will find you hear. Now on the rare occasions I get to go on a hunting or fishing trip and need communications other than cell phones, I roll FRS, or CB. And last time I was real open water fishing we talked to the other boat on marine radio.

Mike445

In the last few days I've heard both forestry and game and fish on the analog frequencies. I'm keeping them a while longer!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.