• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Found walmart rdm2070d. What should I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakm0n

My employer uses rdu2020s for our security staff, but sorting through our junk box of old beat up radios and headsets, I found an rdm2070d, which as you know, is vhf compared to the uhf our radios use, and it is specific to the walmart corperation. My employer said they have no idea where it came from and that I could keep it. Beyond using it to troll walmart management, what could/should I do with it? Sell it on ebay or ask WM management if they wanna buy it off me for a gift card or something? Are these things useful outside of working for WM?

QDP2012

Do the right thing

Welcome to RadioReference Zakm0n,

Since your boss does not know the history of the radio, you should consider the possibility that the radio was not acquired with Walmart's blessing (e.g. was lost or stolen).

If you think that Walmart might want the radio back, then there is the possibility that Walmart does and filed a Lost/Stolen Property report with the police when the radio went missing. In that case, you would want to surrender the radio to the authorities, and certainly not sell or keep it.

You probably should contact someone at Walmart who actually knows about the radio and its history (meaning it might not be the on-duty manager at the local store), and let them know the details about the radio (including serial number), and the details about how it came into your possession. If they don't want it back, then ask them to email you a statement saying you can keep it, and confirming that they did not file a "Lost/Stolen Property" report on the radio.

If Walmart does want it back, (or if you don't want to go through the hassle of trying to contact the "right person" at Walmart who has the authority to let you keep the radio), then take the radio to your local police department, and file a "Found Property" report explaining how the radio came to be in your possession, and give the radio to the police. If you did contact Walmart, give the police officer the contact information of the person at Walmart who said they want the radio back, so it can be returned and so that any "Lost/Stolen property" report that might have been filed, can be closed accordingly. This helps protect you by keeping you out of legal "limbo-land" if someone later says that you are in possession of, or sold/distributed, stolen goods.

And, once you have a written resolution (either Walmart's email stating you can have the radio, or a police report stating you surrendered the radio), then politely let your boss know the resolution, so that if they get any questions later, they know you did the right thing, and know exactly how the situation was resolved.

Just a thought (that hopefully helps avoid trouble).

Hope this helps,

SCPD

QRT
Well they work on murs so of your employer had possession of it it's possible someone bought the wrong one at one time or it was simply found. Most places use those as throw away radios and never log serials or anything. Yes you could buy another and use them for self. Even if it was not wal marts or another stores if you go say did you loose this of course they will say oh yes and take it. Since it looks like radios they use on "wal marts system" haha any one of them will say yes it's ours. Simply put have your employer sign a paper stating the serial number and model and it's being released to you to own from them. If you rather have it ran in ncic by a police officer to see if it comes back. If nothing keep it.

As for it being "specific" I could order a dozen right now or the magone versions they are starting to use with no issue. They are cheap low power murs radios. Murs as you know is public channels license free for murs devices to be used by anyone in public.

Reality is wal mart will not buy it off you. They will confiscate it if you say I found this across town. Your best bet is to have the serial ran in ncic. See if anything comes back. If nothing comes back keep it. I should add before some John Rambo here says anything to me this is a murs radio which his employer gave him not a radio he found with public safety on it. I'm willing to bet it's his employers which they gave it to him. Like I said throw away to wal mart or stores who use them and they never log serials down. Oops one less on the rack who has it oh nobody and 2 weeks later a new one is ordered from corporate.

Anyone can buy these murs radios not just wal mart. So to think it's wal marts without knowing is a unsure thing. Either let your employer keep it since they had it, or have them have a police officer look into the cad and see if any reports of 2 way radio come up and also running the Vin number on radio. If nothing comes back well you can give it to the officer as found property but it will never get claimed if someone does not come forward with proof of owning it before and just end up getting in a unclaimed property surplus later. Or keep it yourself.

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You should talk to your loss prevention manager at your store first,these radios are MURS radios and can be used out side the store if its locked you will need to reprogram it,they are pretty good radios 2 watts output..

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rred

Morally and ethically? I think no one wants to be bothered with it. The local WM managers don't want to waste time on an old used radio and tracing where it may have come from. Your boss would probably want to re-think signing any paperwork transferring the radio to you, because it might violate a formal "de-acquisition" policy and it would confirm that your company somehow obtained it in the first place. Everyone can get a headache and an old used radio isn't worth it to most executives.

Then again, your state (and town) may have lost property rules. If it is worth under $100, they may say finders' keepers. Over $100, you may be obligated to turn it over to the precinct, who will be delighted to keep it safe for 90 days and then have you fill out some more paperwork to get it back. If it hasn't walked. Again...a mountain from a molehill.

Either go to WalMart and say "I found this outside, goodbye" and don't expect a reward, or just find out how it has been programmed (the RDU2020 programming is free IIRC, the programming for your radio might also be) and then either use it or sell it, as you prefer.

This one is not worth a lot of anguish. It isn't a thousand-dollar Kenwood or Moto public service radio.

SCPD

QRT
So they give you the radio for free... then you want to sell it back to them? :roll:

By sound of it his employer is another business or store which had a box of old radios. Nobody knew why a vhf radio or different band radio was in it. So the boss said have it we don't want it. Since the op knows wally world uses this type he figured he could sell it back to wally world thinking somehow it ended up in that stores box or maybe they would want one more if it was not the local wal marts.

They won't buy it back wal marts or not In fact they would demand he hand it over after saying i found this or a it isn't ours we don't want it.

The moral thing most do is hand it over to the police inquire we don't know who's it is but could been a old radio our store had or one someone found and tossed it in the box. Inquire on the ncic run and nay reports with matching serials.

Most departments don't have time or man power so it would sit in a property recovery location for who knows how long unless someone gets bored looks into it or has the time.

It's possible someone at that store he works at used them at one time or ordered wrong one so it sat and those persons do not work for that business anymore or it was found by someone in his business so it got held onto then eventually ended up in a box for who knows how long which same would occur in a property recovery room since most of everyone never themself goes to check on recovered property or never has serials for the reports when something electronic is lost or stolen.

Moral thing would be either tell the boss I don't want its not my problem or turn it over as found property to LE. Since it isn't a actual system radio who knows where it came from. Could have been customers, his store, any store in his mall or areas, or wal mart employee wearing it being off going to his store and it fell out of purse or belt. Only way to know is if it has been registered in ncic or in a report somewhere with the serials. It is up to the op how to proceed. Since he works for some retailer or store it was probably one someone ordered at one time and discovered it will not work with the uhf business radios they use and it got thrown in a box sitting for who knows how long.

Last edited:

beaker7

Keep the radio, its NOT Walmart specific it uses MURS, and the MURS rules states that no one person has any right to one channel(s) Thus you can it on any of the 5 MURS channels or troll Walmart legally. They Usually operate of MURS channels 4 & 5 (154.570 & 154.600) Use what ever channels you please, I use MURS because its better than the crappy little GMRS radios you can buy in a store, and its license free compared to GMRS.

Edit: Also most walmarts think they OWN the MURS channels they use, so it fun to mess with them!

KB7MIB

Personally, I like ODP2012's suggestions.

IIRC, Wal-Mart uses the same radios that that sell on their website. So, it may actually be a radio that was used by a Wal-Mart store, and walked out (sometimes employees will consider the radio they use to be "their" radio, and will take them home, and they may have lost it somewhere, and someone in your company may have come upon it, or someone in your company may be a former employee of Wal-Mart), or it may have been bought by a customer, who then lost it somewhere.
Not knowing if it used to be used by an employee who may or may not still be employed by Wal-Mart, or was privately purchased and owned by a Wal-Mart customer, is the biggest question.

I'd still follow ODP2012's suggestions. But, that's just me.

John
Peoria, AZ

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
Well they work on murs so of your employer had possession of it it's possible someone bought the wrong one at one time or it was simply found. Most places use those as throw away radios and never log serials or anything. Yes you could buy another and use them for self. Even if it was not wal marts or another stores if you go say did you loose this of course they will say oh yes and take it. Since it looks like radios they use on "wal marts system" haha any one of them will say yes it's ours. Simply put have your employer sign a paper stating the serial number and model and it's being released to you to own from them. If you rather have it ran in ncic by a police officer to see if it comes back. If nothing keep it.

As for it being "specific" I could order a dozen right now or the magone versions they are starting to use with no issue. They are cheap low power murs radios. Murs as you know is public channels license free for murs devices to be used by anyone in public.

Reality is wal mart will not buy it off you. They will confiscate it if you say I found this across town. Your best bet is to have the serial ran in ncic. See if anything comes back. If nothing comes back keep it. I should add before some John Rambo here says anything to me this is a murs radio which his employer gave him not a radio he found with public safety on it. I'm willing to bet it's his employers which they gave it to him. Like I said throw away to wal mart or stores who use them and they never log serials down. Oops one less on the rack who has it oh nobody and 2 weeks later a new one is ordered from corporate.

Anyone can buy these murs radios not just wal mart. So to think it's wal marts without knowing is a unsure thing. Either let your employer keep it since they had it, or have them have a police officer look into the cad and see if any reports of 2 way radio come up and also running the Vin number on radio. If nothing comes back well you can give it to the officer as found property but it will never get claimed if someone does not come forward with proof of owning it before and just end up getting in a unclaimed property surplus later. Or keep it yourself.

I can assure you walmart does not report lost radios. Especially to NCIC. I would say return it to a store so it can be sent back to home office. The serial number is usually tied to a associate especially if they work for home office. Like mine is tied by serial to my name so if its lost I gotta pay for it. Now there nothing to say that is a walmart radio. They usually have a asset protection tag on the inside cover or when you turn it on it will say walmart

CanesFan95

Just bring it with you the next time you go to Wal-Mart. 10 minutes before you're gonna check out, key up and say "All cashiers to the front of the store, we need ALL CASHIERS to the front of the store please." :p :lol: :D

back when I was working the Indycar racing series a pilot for one of the drivers brought in a Motorola STX he bought at a swap meet for $100. He asked me if I could put his team's freqs in that radio instead of using a scanner.
I told him the radio would not work because it was VHF and the teams were all UHF. I copied the model and serial numbers and had a dispatcher buddy run it in NCIC. It came back stolen from a local FD.
He took it to them and explained the situation, they gave him $100 and thanked him.

n1das

My employer uses rdu2020s for our security staff, but sorting through our junk box of old beat up radios and headsets, I found an rdm2070d, which as you know, is vhf compared to the uhf our radios use, and it is specific to the walmart corperation. My employer said they have no idea where it came from and that I could keep it. Beyond using it to troll walmart management, what could/should I do with it? Sell it on ebay or ask WM management if they wanna buy it off me for a gift card or something? Are these things useful outside of working for WM?

"...it is specific to the walmart corperation" LOL. Walmart* uses VHF MURS, mostly on 154.570 and 154.600. And yes, the radio is perfectly legal to use outside of Walmart* since it is a MURS radio.

Any Walmart* you might take it to won't buy it or want to get involved so don't even try it. Either keep it for yourself or don't have anything to do with it. If the radio were offered to me I wouldn't want it because it's likely already junk to begin with.

I don't know this for a fact but I suspect Walmart* is on VHF MURS because they have been operating there long before MURS was created. It's easier to stay there when it comes to replacing radios when needed so new radios will work with old radios. And not having to worry about licensing with MURS is a plus.

I know it can be fun to troll Walmart* on MURS because they think they "own" the channel. The peeps that work there aren't used to hearing others on the channel they think they own. The fight or flight instinct kicks in and they freak out when it happens.

If I worked at Walmart* at the corporate level and had any say over what radios the stores use, I would gradually switch them over to using Motorola DLR series 900MHz FHSS digital radios. The DLR1060 would be perfect. They operate license-free under Part 15 at 1W using FHSS (FCC 15.247). The programming would be customized a little so that they are not at their default programming out of the box so they can't be overheard or trolled by other DLR radios. No scanners will hear them due to VSELP digital and FHSS. They are not encrypted but can be made VERY secure. DLR series radios cost about the same as the MURS radios Walmart* uses. The DLRs are intended for on-site business use and work way better than any MURS radio would. Their small size and features and ease of operation makes them attractive for on-site type business use. I used to own a pair of DLR1060 radios and they worked EXCELLENT. In a business type setting such as a Walmart* store, they way outperform VHF MURS radios and offer features such as 1 to 1 private reply within a group of radios.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...business-radios/dlr-series-digital-radio.html

Last edited:

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I think we're done here. The OP hasn't been back since the original post 8 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.