Franklin County 800 P25 RFP

kb4he

That is interesting, I didn't realize that Habersham was awarded to CI, I would have assumed it would have been Loudoun or Williams considering they both have a presence. Maybe TUSA has found a new favorite... Boy do they know how to put on a song and dance that impresses a board of commissioners.
I have been following TUSA for about 4 years. Since they showed up in Jackson County. I don't think TUSA has a favorite Vendor. But they do have a favorite solution. P25 fixes every problem you currently or will ever have.

kb4he

Stephens County will be the gaping hole between the two. If Stephens could have participated, the simulcast cells could have probably provided some meaningful coverage infill for the other participants, such as where a Stephens tower happens to reach a Franklin or Habersham coverage gap, as often happens with the Cobb system (adjacent county simulcast helping fill a gap because their tower happens to reach a gap better). Of course that would have been a good reason for Habersham to have joined the Hall core in the first place.
Stephens contracted with TUSA about 3 years ago shortly after Habersham did. TUSA recommended a $15 million dollar 800 P25 system to tie in with Habersham or Hall. Stephens BOC said no.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I wish for a perfect world where every county plays nicely with each other, and they could all merge into one ubiquitous,
"North Georgia Radio System Authority"
Oh well, politics and money :rolleyes:
Well, GSP and the state think that this is spelled with the letters L T E and Southern LINC but we shall see how that works out.
Have we not been down this road before when SL was iDEN and old Zig Zag Zell (a huge investor in SoCo) though the sun rose and set there?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have been following TUSA for about 4 years. Since they showed up in Jackson County. I don't think TUSA has a favorite Vendor. But they do have a favorite solution. P25 fixes every problem you currently or will ever have.
P25 is a great way to ensure continuity of revenue. Add to that, value added subscription services. Ask me how I know.

wsp44

Premium Subscriber
The sky is falling, dog and pony show... Boom, a 25 million dollar p25 system that burdens the tax payers is born.

kb4he

Franklin BOC to Vote Tonight on New 911 Communications System - 92.1 WLHR

Original proposal in August 2023 was by CI for 5 sites, all multiband portables for 11.6 million. The CI proposal outlined above for 7.6 million is for 4 sites and I expect mostly single band portables and most likely does not include the cities. With the county encompassing 266 sq miles, I expect significant areas without outdoor portable coverage and a lot of areas with no indoor portable coverage.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
the mention of GSP interop leads me to believe there will be some sort of "Patch" talkgroup between their new SouthernLinc PTToC and this system, given that by the time this system is implemented, GSP VHF will be long gone.
GSP is using Harris XL series subscribers so my guess is they’ll directly program the system into their radios much like they’ve done with other P25 systems in the state. Looking at the southern linc coverage map against the Habersham and Franklin coverage maps, it wouldn’t surprise me to see GSP talkgroups eventually pop up on this system. GSP has seemed to stay on regional P25 systems when coverage allows.

Except as I found out last week, GSP only ordered VHF conventional and LTE for their Harris XL subs, and not 700/800....
LOL what?? So are they adding it in the field? Because I've definitely seen Troop C Troopers with the new radios, and as far as I know, they're still operating on Atlanta's TRS...

kb4he

Even with only 4 sites, it will be far better than the VHF system they have now. They have dealt with random periods of interference for years. However, I fully agree, it will not be a year after the new wears off and the questions of why my radio doesn't work indoors start being asked. There is no significant portable outdoor coverage overlap of any of these sites. I know there are those who think P25 is the end all fix all. I would much rather have NXDN or DMR system with more sites and significant coverage redundancy than a P25 system with minimal coverage redundancy.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
I wish for a perfect world where every county plays nicely with each other, and they could all merge into one ubiquitous,
"North Georgia Radio System Authority"
Oh well, politics and money :rolleyes:
It would have made better sense if they did from hambersham west to Pickens County and north up to both fannin and Rabun and all counties in between

wsp44

Premium Subscriber
Portable talk in to the northwest will probably be non-existent, 10+ miles to the closest site will be tough.