Freescan: FreeSCAN Open Source Project - Developers Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll be changing the links from Google sites to yours shortly. It shouldn't take too long as I centralized a lot of this a long time ago....Mike

K7MFC

WRAA720
The latest stable build of FreeSCAN is available here:

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've made an entry in the FreeScan page for some of the bugs that exist in the importing functions. As I did with Assaf when I was working with him, I supplied links to our database for entries that demonstrate the bug. As I don't have a P2 scanner I can't do much with testing the Pro Voice, DMR MOTORBO or NXDN stuff but finding these system types ought to be real easy by now...Mike

K7MFC

WRAA720
All I get here is a blank white page.

Try again, I updated some DNS records and the page was offline for a few mins. You may need to clear the cached site data for free-scan.net. Also, you should consider updating Chrome - your screenshot indicates you are on version 49 which was released over 3 years ago.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Any chance you going to make that site secured; i.e. https://

Yes, that will likely happen in the near future. I'm currently looking into letsencrypt.org for configuring SSL for all my websites. I would like to point out that the download links for the install files on free-scan.net are hosted via secure urls:

https://github.com/mfcallahan/FreeSCAN/releases/download/2.18/fssetup-218-b6.zip

https://github.com/mfcallahan/FreeSCAN/releases/download/2.19-beta1/FreeSCAN-setup-2.19-beta1.zip

K7MFC

WRAA720
FYI the free-scan.net website may be offline intermittently today, I am moving to a different hosting provider. The download links above will be unaffected.

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Matt - are you able to compile the forked code? I can build the original code without any errors. But when I load the solutions file of the forked baseline and attempt to build it, I receive multiple errors. Any thoughts on what I am overlooking?

K7MFC

WRAA720
The master branch in my repo builds, runs, and publishes for me in VS2019. What errors are you receiving? I may be able to help if you can paste them here and/or upload a screenshot.

Last edited:

Scan125

The master branch in my repo builds, runs, and publishes for me in VS2019. What errors are you receiving? I may be able to help if you can paste them here and/or upload a screenshot.
Hi Just tried myself and these errors occur:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error Couldn't process file Resources\Virtual Control\frmLog.resX due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files. FreeScan

Warning The referenced component 'NAudio' could not be found. FreeScan

Warning Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "NAudio". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. FreeScan

The .resX errors (there are many) require one to locate all the files and "Unblock" them (or unblock the source zip file before un-zipping). Not sure why I did not his this problem when I downloaded the original from github. Will investigate.

NAudio is because the previous bin directory containing the NAudio files is missing from the download.

K7MFC

WRAA720
The .resX errors (there are many) require one to locate all the files and "Unblock" them (or unblock the source zip file before un-zipping). Not sure why I did not his this problem when I downloaded the original from github. Will investigate.

Did you by chance download the source code from GitHub as a .zip file (not cloning the repo to your local disk with git clone)? The "Couldn't process file due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone..." error can occur when downloading files from the internet and Windows warning they may not be trusted. This error can also sometimes occur if the code if located on a shared network drive and then opened in Visual Studio. Either way, this is a Windows issue and is not due to any modifications I have made to the source code. As you noted, the fix is easy - see this StackOverflow article for more info.

Warning The referenced component 'NAudio' could not be found.

This error is occurring because you need to restore the NAudio NuGet package:

Vgb2U0o.png

The reason it worked for you in the original code is because the NAudio binary was included in the .zip file created by the original author. Restoring this NuGet package will allow the solution to build. Binaries, build output, 3rd party party libraries/packages, etc (including the "bin" and "obj" folders) are normally excluded from source control. In my FreeSCAN repo, it is up to the developer to resolve all dependencies.

Last edited:

Scan125

Yes I just downloaded the ZIP file in both cases (original before you took over and your new repo).

Yes understand the dependency.

In both cases was just pointing out for others downloading the ZIP version that these are the errors they will hit which I did not hit and the other guy (R0am3r) did not hit on the original source download.

gkd720

This is great. I just started using it on my new BCD325P2, and created and loaded up a system. I would think once I get more knowledgeable about trunked systems, I'd want to use more of its features. I've only dabbled in VB in the past, but the code looked readable to me, so I may actually be able to help at some point. The first thing I was interested in was the ".996" file format, in case I wanted to quickly edit anything. I poked at some code files but couldn't immediately find how these files are written or read. Could you point me to a specific code file? Thanks.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This is great. I just started using it on my new BCD325P2, and created and loaded up a system. I would think once I get more knowledgeable about trunked systems, I'd want to use more of its features. I've only dabbled in VB in the past, but the code looked readable to me, so I may actually be able to help at some point. The first thing I was interested in was the ".996" file format, in case I wanted to quickly edit anything. I poked at some code files but couldn't immediately find how these files are written or read. Could you point me to a specific code file? Thanks.

Do a search for ".996". I did and found the read and write are handled in frmSystemEditor.vb. The write is handled in ProfileFileSaveDlg_FileOk -> SaveMyFile. The read is handled in LoadSystem. That's as far as I got or wanted to get. I'll let you continue on by searching for LoadSystem, etc.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've entered a great deal of data with examples to the FreeScan bugs page. Hopefully the examples will provide a test bed once testing begins. I'm missing entries for DMR Tier 1 and 2 (I suspect they're going to be tough to find), but there's a db entry for just about everything else. Hopefully part of the rewrite will eventually address all the new system types and modes that have shown up since the last time FreeScan had a serious upgrade- and there has been a lot of them.

By way of explanation for those that aren't aware, FS will issue warnings for trying to import a trunk system that isn't compatible, but it will try to do it anyway. And even conventional imports need some work. There are several possibilities here;

* At the time, ProVoice wasn't available, as was DMR, Mototrbo or NXDN. Only the P2 scanners can handle these- the others can't (Remember FreeScan doesn't work with the HP series, nor with the SDS scanners). For the non P2 scanners, it might be best to import them as conventional.
* It will try to build something for Open Sky or iDen (standard or harmony), none of which can be copied by any scanner or hobby utility (such as DSD or Unitrunker). There's no sense in allowing those system types to be imported.
* It will try to import trunk systems that can't be trunked, but scanned conventionally. Things like MPT1327, LTR Multinet or LTR Passport. Even Tetra falls into this category, as it seems that there's a utility being developed for trunking this mode (altho from what I understand, it's for SDRs). There is something called osmo-Tetra as well. Again these should likely be imported as conventional
* It will allow an import of D-Star or Yaesu Fusion repeaters from the amateur db - no scanner can copy these modes. In addition, USB or LSB HF frequencies should be suppressed
* And lastly, it has to allow the correct import of DMR conventional, DMR conventional networked or NXDN conventional frequencies for the P2 scanners. You might want to allow the import for the other scanners, too, just lock them out.

These are examples of the new data modes and trunk types that have been put into the database, and FS needs to be able to decide what to do with them. Undoubtedly that's going to be a large amount of work.

Mike

K7MFC

WRAA720
Thanks for getting all that in the wiki. I'm sorting through it all currently and getting it logged as issues in the github repository. I've worked on the code a little bit and fixed a few minor things, but work has prevented me from spending and significant time on FreeSCAN. Within the next month or so I should have some free time to start tackling bigger issues. Thanks to everyone who has shown interest - in the next couple weeks I'll circle back to everyone who has contacted me. I'm glad there is interest in FreeSCAN, but I apologize that it will be a bit slow going at first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.