Frequencies available for Ham simplex - Digital and Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
So if I operate a repeater output on 145.0 (outside of the band plan) and somebody operating within the band plan knowingly interferes with me, the violation is on THEM, not me. Amazing huh?

97.205 VERY clearly favors a coordinated repeater over an uncoordinated repeater, in the event of mutual interference.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
97.205 VERY clearly favors a coordinated repeater over an uncoordinated repeater, in the event of mutual interference.

Never said it didn't.

Again, actually read my posts above. I specifically mention that no repeater coordinator is going to put a repeater on 145.0, because it "violates" the band plan. So yet again, if I'm operating a repeater on 145.0, and somebody knowingly interferes with me, that is THEIR violation, not mine.

You don't magically own the rights to a certain portion of the 2m spectrum, because a voluntary band plan says so.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Never said it didn't.

Again, actually read my posts above. I specifically mention that no repeater coordinator is going to put a repeater on 145.0, because it "violates" the band plan. So yet again, if I'm operating a repeater on 145.0, and somebody knowingly interferes with me, that is THEIR violation, not mine.

Yes, ok. I read this as coordinated vs. uncoordinated.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You're right, per the regs. He's wrong. This isn't going to go anywhere.

I know you old ARRL people hate hearing it, but your ARRL does not make the regs. Your band plan means zero and is 100% voluntary. Don't like it? I don't know what to tell you.

I've cited the applicable regs., as have others. Your failure to understand them is not my problem.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was at the Orlando Hamcation and someone was tearing up 446.000 simplex with either DMR or P25. It was awful, stop it. Luckily my radio wont unsquelch on that stuff, but they monopolized the entire channel for everyone else.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I know you old ARRL people hate hearing it, but your ARRL does not make the regs. Your band plan means zero and is 100% voluntary. Don't like it? I don't know what to tell you.

I've cited the applicable regs., as have others. Your failure to understand them is not my problem.

You've been shown two places within Part 97 where FCC rules lean towards support of voluntary band plans. Neither has anything to do with the ARRL.

The bottom line here is that a literal interpretation of a licenrdse class's authorized frequency list could get one in trouble if there is a complete disregard of things like sub-bands, coordinations, and bandplans.

We really don't need to be encouraging new games to light up just anywhere with no regard to what others are doing, or just where their ignorant selves might end up being heard.

It's not difficult to learn what's what. Why not just encourage people to do the right thing, instead of hanging on to a pedantically literal read of the rules?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
It's not difficult to learn what's what. Why not just encourage people to do the right thing, instead of hanging on to a pedantically literal read of the rules?

When and where have I encouraged people to do the wrong thing? ;) I'm encouring people to follow the FCC rules as they are written. Why read the rules literally? Really? LOL! I don't know...you tell me. Why should people actually read and follow the rules as they're written?

The OP asked, "Can we select any frequencies in these ranges for simplex communications? Are we free to use digital and analog with any frequency in these ranges that are not already in use? "

He is then given 3 pages of mostly incorrect information, from crusty old hams who refuse to give him the correct answer, and who refuse to acknowledge FCC regulation.

The letter that KK2DOG posted conveniently leaves out perhaps the most important part of the FCC's statement:

The FCC dismissed an ARRL petition calling on the Commission
to equate observance of voluntary band plans with "good amateur practice."
The FCC said defining band plans as the ARRL had proposed "would have the
effect of transforming voluntary band plans into de facto required
mandates," something inconsistent with current FCC policy.

So the FCC will not equate the voluntary band plans with "good amateur practice", i.e. Part 97.101, but you (and several others) keep trying to make that stretch.

Like I said, I personally follow the band plans, and make sure that my station is not causing harmful interference, RFI, etc., every single time I transmit. That's just how I choose to operate. If I wanted to violate the voluntary band plan and choose to operate in a certain segment of the band, again without willfully causing harmful interference, then I am certainly allowed per regulation and my license to do just that. Telling somebody that is not allowed to go against that band plan is where I have issues.

KB7MIB

How many state/regional frequency coordinating bodies follow the ARRL band plan?

Maybe that's the voluntary part? That the ARRL band plan does not have to be adopted by the coordinating bodies, and they can develope their own?

In which case, if you violate their band plan, it wouldn't be the League that you would have to answer to, it would be your fellow local hams who you would be annoying, perhaps to the point of being regarded as persona non grata, and finding yourself talking to yourself, until you decide to abide by the local band plan that is in effect where you are?

I would think that if your digital operation "takes over" an analog simplex frequency, and other users can no longer effectively use it, that could be grounds for a harmful interference complaint against you being filed with the FCC.

Just a thought.

John
Peoria, AZ

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The OP asked, "Can we select any frequencies in these ranges for simplex communications? Are we free to use digital and analog with any frequency in these ranges that are not already in use? "
Speaking of the OP, he or she hasn't been back since February 6.

I think we are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.