• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/GMRS radios in TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Was visiting with a friend on Monday when at 11:30am she turned on the soap opera Young and the Restless. I used to watch that show with my mom many years ago, but probably haven't watched seen it in over 10 years. Anyways, one of the stories Monday was about a fashion show. A lot of the footage was of backstage prep, including using radios to communicate with others at different locations of the venue. Didn't pay a lot of attention at first, but in later scenes, it looked like they were using Midland radios. Never got a real good look at them, because the actors were using an earpiece/mic combo so the radio itself was never fully out in the open.

Anyways, I know there have been threads on RR about CB, scanner and/or ham radio use in TV shows/movies, but didn't know if one about GMRS/FRS use in show biz had been created. So, just wondering if anyone knows of any other shows that have shown people using GMRS/FRS radios?

:)

8K10F1E

Not a TV show, or GMRS, but I noticed the terrorists in Lone Survivor were using camo Baofengs.

Unrelated, some company was shooting a TV episode at the Lance Chance Saloon in Congers NY. Noticed the movie crew was using HT1000's. Wonder if they were narrowbanded.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Once Upon A Time. My girlfriend likes that show.
walkie-talkie-use.png

Also in the movie Super 8, the kids are using old walkie talkies.

Of course, the film Die Hard. :)

Die-Hard-John-McClane-sWalkie-Talkie-2.jpg

quarterwave

There was a show on Comedy the other night, one of their originals, didn't catch the name....they were using Midlands on their "tactical" gear.

Also, I notice the producers of Lizard Lick Towing continue to dub in the Nextel chirp, even though they are using Kenwood radios (I think) now. The funny part is they don't put the chirp in on every transmission, and it not a noise the radio is making...you can tell.

mformby

Some are purchased, some are donated

There are a lot of vairables here. Most of the ones used by the actual production company are purchased and licensed. Most of the ones used in the movies are donated for advertising purposes. A few years ago Motorola started having their name put on the top back of all of their portable radios because that is what you normally see in a movie, not the face of the radio. Most of the radios in the movies are dummies (you can tell when they talk they don't even use the PTT button) and they can be used for years and years.

Was visiting with a friend on Monday when at 11:30am she turned on the soap opera Young and the Restless. I used to watch that show with my mom many years ago, but probably haven't watched seen it in over 10 years. Anyways, one of the stories Monday was about a fashion show. A lot of the footage was of backstage prep, including using radios to communicate with others at different locations of the venue. Didn't pay a lot of attention at first, but in later scenes, it looked like they were using Midland radios. Never got a real good look at them, because the actors were using an earpiece/mic combo so the radio itself was never fully out in the open.

Anyways, I know there have been threads on RR about CB, scanner and/or ham radio use in TV shows/movies, but didn't know if one about GMRS/FRS use in show biz had been created. So, just wondering if anyone knows of any other shows that have shown people using GMRS/FRS radios?

:)

pyro424

Well I don't really watch a lot of movies but when I do I always notice the radios. A few movies I can remember are the movie called Free Willy. In that movie they have a CB in the truck when they talk back to base and they clearly show the cb and dual whips on the truck. In the American Pie movie they use FRS radio's. In one scene they show the guys over hearing a couple having phone sex or something over the yellow FRS radio lol. In the movie Borne Identity. The CIA or whoever they are supposed to be have a hotel room rented out in some Euro country. They have a bunch of scanners on a desk and a computer decrypting the digital police transmissions. (made to look like they are encrypted) Actually I believe most police transmissions over there are. There are countless other movies but I can't remember the names right now. Many of the movies involving bank robberies clearly show the use of scanners. Next time I see it I will try and make notes on radio brands, movie names etc.

swm77662

hollywood universal radios

I love those Hollywood universal radios that always make that squelch sound before they transmit and then after, or even better when FRS radios and military frequency hopping equipment can talk.
Or when cops use CB's for dispatch ect.
And don't forget ham's are always those crazy tin foil guys.

fdscan

Who can forget Home Alone, the kid talking to the cops from his room/bike on his walkie talkie...

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

In the "Stargate SG-1" TV series, the radios used are supposed to be ISR's, but are most likely FRS radios, if they're real radios at all. I don't recall them being removed from their holster on the upper left chest of their tac vests.
I don't recall if they used them in the "Atlantis" or "Universe" versions of Stargate.

rescuecomm

Slightly off topic, but the squad handheld radios used in the movie Stargate were Icom IC-2SRA ham radios with twin antennas. One was for the transmit/receive, the other was for a full range scanner. It was so different looking, the ham community didn't take to it. Made a good movie prop though.

Bob

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I remember those. Never had one, though.

fdscan

Something to do with the logo/licensing/trademarks, I believe, probably the same reason why the GMC/Chevy logos are always covered up.

On Chicago Fire they all have radio slings with either a Saber and the old style public safety mics (like Boden) or the Commander mics and XTS radios (the medics, Casey, etc).

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
bryan_herbert said:
In the first Die Hard they used a Kenwood TH-21BT, in Die Hard 2 they used a Kenwood TH-45AT
Yes and if they really allow scrambling as they did in DIE HARD 2,thats awesome!!!!!

fdscan

They could very easily make a NYPD decal to cover up the hole were the Motorola decal used to be.

They probably just don't care that much. Up to them I guess.

Also on Third Watch when it was on, I think they used Sabers and the public safety mics throughout the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.