Yaesu: FT-991A with SSM-75E Mic

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Does anyone have this combination? I saw a couple of videos on YouTube where the operator was using this mic instead of the MH31 factory microphone. If you are using this combination then can you give a brief review? I'm just wondering if it's worth the upgrade over the factory.

PS. I don't think it's officially supported by Yaesu but it does work fine from what I saw.

Cheers!

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
The SSM-75E is made by Yaesu. I think it comes standard as the mic for the FT-710 radio. I prefer Heil dynamic mics for Yaesu, just better sounding (to me). HRO has them listed for about $55.00.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The SSM-75E is made by Yaesu. I think it comes standard as the mic for the FT-710 radio. I prefer Heil dynamic mics for Yaesu, just better sounding (to me). HRO has them listed for about $55.00.
Yes I'm aware of those facts -- I'm just interested in a audio comparison between the two. Since I'm going to use this (mostly) for portable operations, I don't need to invest a lot of extra $$$ -- but something as simple as a mic upgrade would be OK -- if it's warranted.