Garage Sale radios...TK 840, RS2046

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Today...my neighbor had 2 radios for sale in their garage sale.

One was a Radio Shack 2046 and another was a Kenwood TK-840 Tranceiver with Base Station Power supply and Mic.

I have no idea about these at all, but both seem to work great. I can find the info on the RS2046....However, the best I can tell the Kenwood is a commercial radio... I can hear some transmissions on there, but not sure what they are yet. I know I shouldn't transmit, so I just pressed the key in order to pull the frequency via Close call on my other radio. Shows 452.5000... But I cannot get anything on my others on that frequency. I believe this may be a LTR trunking tranceiver, but to be honest, I am clueless on this stuff...

Any insight would be appreciated.

BTW: I paid $20 for both. LOL

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Looks in perfect shape too..

They just said, "make an offer"... So I said, "How about $20 for both?" Sold.

The Kenwood is in great shape too. I am sure I'll have no use for it, but it was interesting... I see them going for over $100 on ebay without the base pwr supply...
I'll probably just hang on to it for fun...

The 2 systems labeled on the menu are TAC and METRO. I receive something on TAC Ch 1... but pretty fuzzy.. I need to get a P259 converter so I can hook my ST2 to it and see what I get... Taxi dispatch or something maybe?

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The TK840 is a UHF radio capable of LTR. I know they are computer programmable, I've done a few, and I have heard that they possibly can be field programmable. They also have alpha display. The 840 is a UHF band.

scannerpro

Yes sir, I'm going to have to stop going by those more often and looking for radio equipment cause you never know what you can find it seems like. Enjoy!

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
b7spectra said:
The TK840 is a UHF radio capable of LTR. I know they are computer programmable, I've done a few, and I have heard that they possibly can be field programmable. They also have alpha display. The 840 is a UHF band.

Thanks... I have spent my evening researching it... Looks like I need to get a programming cable and software. Found some 3rd party HEX editors, Frequency to HEX coversion utilities, service manuals, etc... Don't think I'll go as far as removing frequency filters...but it should be a fun project to get some 400mhz frequencies scanning...

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.

n8emr

The tk-840 will do both conventional and trunked. CHeck the ID plate if its a tk-840-1 model is usable on the ham bands and GMRS. If its a -3 model its high band UHF 470-512.
Its a nice UHF radio but scans oddly. Alpha display is nice. You can get programming cables on ebay for $10 and software can be found around the net or you can legally purchase it.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
n8emr said:
The tk-840 will do both conventional and trunked. CHeck the ID plate if its a tk-840-1 model is usable on the ham bands and GMRS. If its a -3 model its high band UHF 470-512.
Its a nice UHF radio but scans oddly. Alpha display is nice. You can get programming cables on ebay for $10 and software can be found around the net or you can legally purchase it.

Hmm... Just says TK840 no dash anything...When searching out it's signal via close call on my other scanner, it showed 452.5000 MHZ for the transmit channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.