• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Orion Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at setting up a mobile dual radio install and space is at a premium. The GE Orion looks like the easiest solution. I can find plenty of radios but very little information on programming. Does anyone know where I can find a programming setup at a reasonable price? I'm also looking for information on a dual-radio cable if anyone knows about that. Thanks!

DisasterGuy

The Orions are fine radios. You will need the following:
TQS3389 - Conventional ProGrammer PC Software
CA101288V15 - Shop Programming Cable

CA101288V10 - Remote Mount Dual Radio Cable
Two radios of your required bands
Two power cords
One system or scan control head.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I found a source for the programming cable and got ahold of he programming software. I'll hopefully be ordering the UHF 440 unit tonight and then a VHF-Hi trunk mount later when I've had time to figure out programming and find a source for the dual radio cable.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Make sure both radio's have 512k boards in them. 256k won't work. Same firmware in both radio's is highly recommended as well.

Tim

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
I'm afraid I'm not much help here. I actually have yet to purchase the radios and programming cable due to lack of funds. I did find the software but I don't recall exactly where as I looked several places...

I will say that from what I gather the Consolette and Remote Mount units use different programming cables so that's something you might want to keep an eye on.

DisasterGuy

One thing to remember with programming cables is that there are two versions. One requires the Programming Interface Module and one doesn't. The Part Number is listed previously doesn't. It is the same cable used with the M7100 and is available from any Harris dealer including New London Technologies and Eastern Comminications. The software can also be legally obtained through both sources.

iceburgh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Disaster Guy. That response was quick. Do you have this programming cable for win 7 64bit? Also need software and dont have db9 connector on my laptop. My Orion has been sitting in the closet for 5 years. Never used it. Are you an authority on these radios as I am a senior citizen who only has two more years left ln my GMRS license.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Can't help you with software as I am an enterprise user and it also requires license authentication. Would recommend finding someone local to do the programming for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Make sure both radio's have 512k boards in them. 256k won't work. Same firmware in both radio's is highly recommended as well.

Tim

256k or 512k, or even a mix of the two will work for Dual-Radio installations.
The REVISION of firmware must be the same in both radios. For conventional use, Group-30 is the most bullet-proof.

It is only when you mix an Orion and a Jaguar 725m or M7100 can you only have a 512k Orion as the other radio.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Thanks Disaster Guy. That response was quick. Do you have this programming cable for win 7 64bit? Also need software and dont have db9 connector on my laptop. My Orion has been sitting in the closet for 5 years. Never used it. Are you an authority on these radios as I am a senior citizen who only has two more years left ln my GMRS license.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I am running R18 on Win 7 64bit. I'm also using a USB to serial converter with no issues. The same converter gets used on M-RK's, M7100, P7100, P5400, P5100. I may be missing a radio or two but it seems pretty bullet proof.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.