• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

General Questions about Part 90

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I've been spending the past week reading and re-reading eCFR Part 90. Most of it makes sense after some deliberation and reading all the cross references, but the one thing that bothers me is Subpart N 90.425 - Station Identification. Easy as pie on any system using a repeater (conventional & trunked) or even when a base station is involved. How is this handled industry wide for itinerant operation? I certainly don't hear any CW ID from the retail stores, and you certainly aren't going to expect someone who can barely hold a HT to remember to identify the company call sign every 15 minutes. I went through all the exceptions, and the only one practical I saw was to have 1 mobile unit identify for all the units but you don't even hear that.

I know the Kenwood NX line of radios can CW ID from a button press, but only in NXDN (or analog in NXDN zone). I haven't stumbled a cross the ability in any other radio.

Is this requirement flat out ignored? I understand that 2W to 5W HTs would make it much harder to cause interference, thus making it less likely for the FCC to even pay attention. I haven't read through every NOV either, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any NOV that I have read. It's just something that bothers me, that I don't have an answer on how to meet this requirement in multiple use scenarios.

ecps92

I've been spending the past week reading and re-reading eCFR Part 90. Most of it makes sense after some deliberation and reading all the cross references, but the one thing that bothers me is Subpart N 90.425 - Station Identification. Easy as pie on any system using a repeater (conventional & trunked) or even when a base station is involved. How is this handled industry wide for itinerant operation? I certainly don't hear any CW ID from the retail stores, and you certainly aren't going to expect someone who can barely hold a HT to remember to identify the company call sign every 15 minutes. I went through all the exceptions, and the only one practical I saw was to have 1 mobile unit identify for all the units but you don't even hear that.

I know the Kenwood NX line of radios can CW ID from a button press, but only in NXDN (or analog in NXDN zone). I haven't stumbled a cross the ability in any other radio.

Is this requirement flat out ignored? I understand that 2W to 5W HTs would make it much harder to cause interference, thus making it less likely for the FCC to even pay attention. I haven't read through every NOV either, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any NOV that I have read. It's just something that bothers me, that I don't have an answer on how to meet this requirement in multiple use scenarios.
Station Identification doesn't have to be CW ID / Morse it can be verbal - which many a Public Safety Agency do during the daily roll calls, but not every 15 min's or even close to Hour :)

As for Business Band ?? ha ha he he ha ha they would not even know they had an FCC license.
Here is the Radio, Push to Talk, Release to Listen and turn it back in at the end of the day.

a Repeater might be programmed, all depends on the installer/radio shop. Most do the Call Sign with out the PL/DPL so you would have to listen for it. ie: My Local utility, who is DMR still sends the CW/Morse almost every 90 min's

freddaniel

Like any set of rules, some are routinely overlooked, simply because there is no one to issue citations. Count your blessings as it could be the opposite. The entire concept of identification is based upon how many users share a channel. Where a user has exclusive use, the FCC will routinely grant an identification waiver, because who else could it be? With itinerant operation, it could take hours to determine which user was not identifying, so the FCC is not going to waste resources to cite and fine users who cannot afford to pay a fine to recover the cost to identify them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The FCC doesn't waste time assisting with serious interference to a public safety trunking system for 6 months that affected 7,000 plus subscribers, so yeah, the chances of them giving your local WalFart an NAL for not identifying on their ITB VHF or UHF walkie-talkies is about as much as winning the Powerball.
The FCC's main basis and purpose is to pander to the telecom mafia and provide them with whatever radio spectrum they clamor for, so they can in turn, bill the general public for being a subscriber on whatever one of the three wireless networks want to charge. Great scam isn't it? Wanna see swift enforcement bureau action? Pee on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mo licensed spectrum and FAFO.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The FCC doesn't waste time assisting with serious interference to a public safety trunking system for 6 months that affected 7,000 plus subscribers, so yeah, the chances of them giving your local WalFart an NAL for not identifying on their ITB VHF or UHF walkie-talkies is about as much as winning the Powerball.
The FCC's main basis and purpose is to pander to the telecom mafia and provide them with whatever radio spectrum they clamor for, so they can in turn, bill the general public for being a subscriber on whatever one of the three wireless networks want to charge. Great scam isn't it? Wanna see swift enforcement bureau action? Pee on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mo licensed spectrum and FAFO.

Don't forget about the pirate stations and the broadcaster's constant whine. They got Congress to act with additional funding to add a field agent or two just for that!