Getting a new scanner

sandy29341

Premium Subscriber
Looking to replace Homepatrol 2 Need NXDN got the upgrade from Uniden for $49.49 Was told on the phone it would do the NXDN . Looking at BCD 536 HP . My profile is 76 years old CB radio KOM 9537 ,Last experience with scanners they had crystals . Got the HP 2 with zip code programing what could go wrong? Is the BCD 536 old stock? do I have a easy cheaper choice?

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Welcome to the forums Sandy, if you just need a NXDN scanner then there is a conventional nontrunking scanner that came out, its new by Uniden called the 160/260

here is the web page to check out it has ndxn and dmr already built in, and it is cheaper then spending $549.99 to $649.99 for a 536

Reactions: wtp

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Carolina fleet talk requires a trunked scanner if it's trunked and nxdn, I would also look into your area before settling for a 536 to do the job, you may and I suspect you have simulcast in your area so I would recommend the following scanners for it, since a lot of areas have simulcast problems.

to buy a scanner and add nxdn or dmr these will work, but there are add-ons and only besides the SDS I posted the next 2 is database with all zip codes in Canada and in the USA.

the last 2 are cheaper but require software to program then you buy the ndxn upgrades.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking to replace Homepatrol 2 Need NXDN got the upgrade from Uniden for $49.49 Was told on the phone it would do the NXDN . Looking at BCD 536 HP . My profile is 76 years old CB radio KOM 9537 ,Last experience with scanners they had crystals . Got the HP 2 with zip code programing what could go wrong? Is the BCD 536 old stock? do I have a easy cheaper choice?
My location is Cherokee County SC zip 29341 think I require NXDN trucking scanner . Thanks!
While the 536HP (or it's handheld sibling the 436HP) is not the 'latest & greatest, it uses the same memory structure as what you are used to on your HP-2. If you are using a Favorites list on your HP-2, you can export that into an *.hpe file using the Sentinel version for your HP-2. The 536HP also uses Sentinel, but a different version. However, the exported file from your HP-2 can be imported into the 536HP's version of Sentinel.

The 536HP has features that your HP-2 does not, such as the ability to set an alert LED when a specific channel (conventional frequency or trunked system talkgroup) receives traffic, the alert LED can be set to come on. You have several colors available; I use red for fire channels, yellow for EMS, and cyan (a light blue) for law enforcement. But you can use whatever combination you want.

For the 536HP, you can set quick keys so that you can easily toggle a given department or group of channels on or off very easily.
Ok. The 325P2/996p2 will be the cheapest to buy.
Those would be cheaper than the 536HP, but since the OP currently has an HP-2, the programming structure will be familiar, easing programming.