Status
Not open for further replies.

scanthewaves

I’ve gone back and forth since the 90’s between Radio Shack and Bearcat scanners now uniden starting with a BC 210 purchased from Sears. I’ve always noticed Uniden scanners always have seemed better built so I stuck with Uniden. My last handheld being a 396xlt, one of my favorite features is the changeable color backlight while having a steep learning curve it has served me well for 8 years or so but it’s going to have to go in for repairs and this Is the first part where I need advice. From what I’ve read it’s like $80 to send in for repair, it’s non refundable, if repairs can not be made the scanner will either be sent back unrepaired or disposed of or a discounted unit may be offered. but the charge will not be refunded only the $80 will be out towards a replacement unit. I would much prefer it be repaired I don’t want to risk the $80 if I am understanding this correctly? Ok now the next part I need advice with, i decided I wanted a base scanner and having lived in a county where I could hardly benefit from the 396xlt, the Iocal first responder and State PD were all still on old VHF channels, I purchased a BCT15x in 2020 but unfortunately lost it in a wildfire. Luckily I got out with the 386. Than I relocated to a county that is mainly Trunked EDACS on Phase 1, so the 396xlt was again useful, but I decided I wanted to upgrade to a phase 2 unit just in case a countywide upgrade was in the future,so recently I upgraded to a 436hp which does not have a changeable backlight color , but does have a nifty replay feature but it’s not a base unit and it’s much bigger than the the 396 and I would prefer that, so my next preference short of a SDS 200 which I can not afford obvious choice would be the 536hp, a mobile version of the 436hp which also has no backlight color, but has the same replay feature as the 436 and a nifty WiFi dongle and Siren Ap feature, but there are debates as to whether the Ap functions as it should and claims that it was abandoned by the developers. The next choice Would be the 996p2 which also is a phase 2 scanner but unlike the 536 has a changeable backlight. So I can’t decide whether to part with the 436 and replace it with a 536 and just keep the 396 providing it can be repaired or part with the 396 keep the 436 and part with the 396 and purchase a 536 or 996 especially if the 536 WiFi feature doesn’t work. What would you do if you were on a tight budget like me? Thanks

Last edited:

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
First question, I cannot answer.

Second question, I love my 996p2. I use it with Proscan, which I use to program, record, and log activity. Oh, btw, you have more colors and fonts available through the software! You can do the same with the 436/536, but are a bit more $$$.

scanthewaves

I too use Proscan but I don’t see any way to change the backlight color on the 436, only the alert light that is on the front of the unit and as far as I know that’s the extent of any alert colors unlike the 396 and 996.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
No, you but you can change the way it appears in Proscan. Options> General> change foreground, change background. There is also a way to change font, too.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I too use Proscan but I don’t see any way to change the backlight color on the 436, only the alert light that is on the front of the unit and as far as I know that’s the extent of any alert colors unlike the 396 and 996.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I’ve gone back and forth since the 90’s between Radio Shack and Bearcat scanners now uniden starting with a BC 210 purchased from Sears. I’ve always noticed Uniden scanners always have seemed better built so I stuck with Uniden. My last handheld being a 396xlt, one of my favorite features is the changeable color backlight while having a steep learning curve it has served me well for 8 years or so but it’s going to have to go in for repairs and this Is the first part where I need advice. From what I’ve read it’s like $80 to send in for repair, it’s non refundable, if repairs can not be made the scanner will either be sent back unrepaired or disposed of or a discounted unit may be offered. but the charge will not be refunded only the $80 will be out towards a replacement unit. I would much prefer it be repaired I don’t want to risk the $80 if I am understanding this correctly? Ok now the next part I need advice with, i decided I wanted a base scanner and having lived in a county where I could hardly benefit from the 396xlt, the Iocal first responder and State PD were all still on old VHF channels, I purchased a BCT15x in 2020 but unfortunately lost it in a wildfire. Luckily I got out with the 386. Than I relocated to a county that is mainly Trunked EDACS on Phase 1, so the 396xlt was again useful, but I decided I wanted to upgrade to a phase 2 unit just in case a countywide upgrade was in the future,so recently I upgraded to a 436hp which does not have a changeable backlight color , but does have a nifty replay feature but it’s not a base unit and it’s much bigger than the the 396 and I would prefer that, so my next preference short of a SDS 200 which I can not afford obvious choice would be the 536hp, a mobile version of the 436hp which also has no backlight color, but has the same replay feature as the 436 and a nifty WiFi dongle and Siren Ap feature, but there are debates as to whether the Ap functions as it should and claims that it was abandoned by the developers. The next choice Would be the 996p2 which also is a phase 2 scanner but unlike the 536 has a changeable backlight. So I can’t decide whether to part with the 436 and replace it with a 536 and just keep the 396 providing it can be repaired or part with the 396 keep the 436 and part with the 396 and purchase a 536 or 996 especially if the 536 WiFi feature doesn’t work. What would you do if you were on a tight budget like me? Thanks
Your actual "investment" in getting your 396XT repaired is more like $100, not $80. The repair fee (which is flat rate, as long as the scanner is repairable) is $79.95, plus another $10 for return shipping. Plus, you would need to send it to Uniden via a shipping method that provides tracking. That could be FedEx or UPS Ground, or USPS Priority mail. Any of those are likely to run you $10 or more. While, for now, the 396XT or similar scanners cover what you listen to, as you've already noted, Phase II may crop up at some point, possibly as the replacement for your current EDACS system (Corpus Christi area, right?). You're certainly going to encounter Phase II at most other major cities, either now, or very soon. Almost all of the agencies here in the DFW area are on Phase II capable P25 systems. The two largest exceptions, Dallas (city & county) will be moving to a new Phase II system as well.

scanthewaves

what is wrong with the 396 ?
I suspect something is wrong with the logic board it acts really screwy, works sometimes, won’t work on AC , Power button doesn’t work anymore, can only be turned on and off by removing batteries, sometimes it will scan but the keypad becomes unresponsive keeps spitting out “Direct Entry 7” and then has to be shut down to clear the error but it keeps popping up rendering the scanner useless.

scanthewaves

Yes I agree with what you said about Phase 2 tha
Your actual "investment" in getting your 396XT repaired is more like $100, not $80. The repair fee (which is flat rate, as long as the scanner is repairable) is $79.95, plus another $10 for return shipping. Plus, you would need to send it to Uniden via a shipping method that provides tracking. That could be FedEx or UPS Ground, or USPS Priority mail. Any of those are likely to run you $10 or more. While, for now, the 396XT or similar scanners cover what you listen to, as you've already noted, Phase II may crop up at some point, possibly as the replacement for your current EDACS system (Corpus Christi area, right?). You're certainly going to encounter Phase II at most other major cities, either now, or very soon. Almost all of the agencies here in the DFW area are on Phase II capable P25 systems. The two largest exceptions, Dallas (city & county) will be moving to a new Phase II system as well.
[/QUOTE
What you said about Phase 2 makes sense that’s why I will either hang on to the 436hp Or the 396 and get a base Phase 2 capable scanner like the 536hp. Ye currently my area is Corpus and the only Phase 2 system here is Corpus NAS but so far I haven’t picked up anything on the 436hp, could be that part of the Phase is encrypted although the database says it’s not.
Looks like you have some knowledge about the Uniden repair I should have factored in the cost of shipping. My concern is whatever reason a repair can not be made and I’m going to be out a $100 since the repair is “non refundable” that said a used 396xt if you can find goes for a lot more than $100.

scanthewaves

Yes I agree with what you said about Phase 2 tha
[/QUOTE
What you said about Phase 2 makes sense that’s why I will either hang on to the 436hp Or the 396 and get a base Phase 2 capable scanner like the 536hp. Ye currently my area is Corpus and the only Phase 2 system here is Corpus NAS but so far I haven’t picked up anything on the 436hp, could be that part of the Phase is encrypted although the database says it’s not.
Looks like you have some knowledge about the Uniden repair I should have factored in the cost of shipping. My concern is whatever reason a repair can not be made and I’m going to be out a $100 since the repair is “non refundable” that said a used 396xt if you can find one goes for a lot more than $100.

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber

I see you're in TX and mentioning wildfires. If you're anywhere near Bastrop (where there's another one going on right now actually), I would advise making the jump to the SDS100/200 scanners. Simulcast is all around the major cities and definitely in Austin.

scanthewaves

I see you're in TX and mentioning wildfires. If you're anywhere near Bastrop (where there's another one going on right now actually), I would advise making the jump to the SDS100/200 scanners. Simulcast is all around the major cities and definitely in Austin.
Actually I was mentioning the wildfire in Oregon that destroyed our home in Sept 2020 I had a BCT 15x and Radio Shack Handheld that we’re lost. I’m in Corpus so simulcast is not a concern at this time.

scanthewaves

1. Your actual "investment" in getting your 396XT repaired is more like $100, not $80. The repair fee (which is flat rate, as long as the scanner is repairable) is $79.95, plus another $10 for return shipping. Plus, you would need to send it to Uniden via a shipping method that provides tracking. That could be FedEx or UPS Ground, or USPS Priority mail. Any of those are likely to run you $10 or more. While, for now, the 396XT or similar scanners cover what you listen to, as you've already noted, Phase II may crop up at some point, possibly as the replacement for your current EDACS system (Corpus Christi area, right?). You're certainly going to encounter Phase II at most other major cities, either now, or very soon. Almost all of the agencies here in the DFW area are on Phase II capable P25 systems. The two largest exceptions, Dallas (city & county) will be moving to a new Phase II system as well.

Looks like most of my reply got cut off for some reason, anyhow I do agree with most of what you said If I’m going to spend $100 in getting the scanner repaired it would be nice to know if they can’t repair it for some reason they will offer an affordable alternative, I understand they will apply the fee to the replacement and it will be at a discount but how steep a discount. If I don’t go for the replacement I’m out $100, got any experience with Uniden scanner repairs you might like to share? My only experience is with the Bearcat 210 I got from Sears years ago, there was a local Sears service center and I was able to meet The tech who repaired it. Ah the good old days. As for P2 in the Corpus area it’s only the NAS, and despite the database saying Security is mostly encrypted, based on my short experience it seems like that encryption is the rule not the exception. Of course any future P2 expansion in the area will require a P2 capable scanner it seems to me that if I don’t require the home patrol and replay features, the sensible thing to do is keep the 396 after repaired of course and go with a more affordable 996p2 so at least I got any future P2 expansion covered not to mention I can still change the back light color. To tell the truth I’m not all that keen on the home patrol feature and this 436hp isn’t all that I thought it’s cracked up to be, one thing that I find annoying is when the full database is loading, the load time, I’m sure there is something I haven’t figured out yet like the favorites and that probably remedies that but I don’t want to keep the 436 I prefer the ease and portability of the 396 and it took me sometime to grasp using it. They are truly two different radios.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

1. Looks like most of my reply got cut off for some reason, anyhow I do agree with most of what you said If I’m going to spend $100 in getting the scanner repaired it would be nice to know if they can’t repair it for some reason they will offer an affordable alternative, I understand they will apply the fee to the replacement and it will be at a discount but how steep a discount. If I don’t go for the replacement I’m out $100, got any experience with Uniden scanner repairs you might like to share? My only experience is with the Bearcat 210 I got from Sears years ago, there was a local Sears service center and I was able to meet The tech who repaired it. Ah the good old days. As for P2 in the Corpus area it’s only the NAS, and despite the database saying Security is mostly encrypted, based on my short experience it seems like that encryption is the rule not the exception. Of course any future P2 expansion in the area will require a P2 capable scanner it seems to me that if I don’t require the home patrol and replay features, the sensible thing to do is keep the 396 after repaired of course and go with a more affordable 996p2 so at least I got any future P2 expansion covered not to mention I can still change the back light color. To tell the truth I’m not all that keen on the home patrol feature and this 436hp isn’t all that I thought it’s cracked up to be, one thing that I find annoying is when the full database is loading, the load time, I’m sure there is something I haven’t figured out yet like the favorites and that probably remedies that but I don’t want to keep the 436 I prefer the ease and portability of the 396 and it took me sometime to grasp using it. They are truly two different radios.
I've owned quite a few Uniden scanners along the way, & still have quite a few more than the ones I list in my signature. I've never had problems with Uniden's repair process, though a few people apparently have.

No way to know, positively, in advance, as to whether your 396XT can be repaired. My best guess is yes. Unless you had managed to plug it into a 220v outlet, or were driving down the road with the scanner on your dash, which then flew out the window when you took a sharp turn, inflicting heavy physical damage, I would think that repair can be done for the default fee. No guarantee, of course, if that "one part" needed is simply no longer available, but I doubt that will be the case. Uniden still accepts scanners much older than your 396XT for repair, so no reason to think yours is a total loss.

I have two of the original GRE manufactured PSR-500s. One works fine. The other doesn't. It still scans and stops on active frequencies & talkgroups, but when scanning, it has a sound resembling open squelch static. Yet it is still scanning. I have not sent it for repair because it is basically surplus to me. I don't need it, having a number of other scanners, including a variety of P25 Phase II capable scanners. Before long, virtually all public safety agencies here in the DFW area will be on Phase II capable systems, so another Phase I only scanner is not needed.

In your case, the 396XT is still a useful scanner, at least until the EDACS system is replaced by a new Phase II network. If I were in your shoes, I'd likely send the 396XT in. In the event, unlikely as I think it is, they could not repair it, and offer you credit towards a newer replacement, you might end up with a discounted 996P2.

Your 436HP will load more quickly if using Favorites lists instead of the whole database, location, and range. You can have the scanner, or Sentinel, create a Favorites list for you based on what location, range, & service types loads from the main database. Once that is done, then you can tweak it in Sentinel, deleting things that are not of interest, or customizing your text tags for clarity.

Offhand, I don't recall if you've mentioned using software (other than Sentinel for the 436HP) for programming. ProScan can program your 396XT, your prospective 996P2, as well as the 436HP. You can also 'import' a programming file or Favorites list for one scanner, then use the data to program one of the other scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.