Getting started on ADS-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
To the best of my knowledge, ADSBExchange.com does not hide aircraft, even when requested.

I do like that about them though their maps and graphics do leave something to be desired.

Though I’m now reconsidering the whole thing due to the problems with the multicouplers. I’m trying to make this as durable as possible because I really don’t feel like tinkering after it’s together and another antenna just for that adds a wrinkle.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
This thread now has me curious. I am going to switch over to my discone and try it with and without the filter/amp combo.
I have a custom ads-b setup, specifically a raspberry PI 3B+ running Python of my own design that captures ads-b packets and renders key callsigns and lat/lon information on a WaveShare display. Hardware is a nooelec SDR, a 1090 filter/amp, and a small dipole length-adjusted for 1.09 GHz and suction-cupped to a window. My software measures packet throughput and I typically capture anywhere from 95 to 110 packets/second during peak daytime hours. Over the years I've been running this thing 24/7 I have logged billions of packets.

So in the spirit of this thread I connected the setup as-is to my DJ-130 discone which is mounted outside and from my perspective has served me very well for VHF/UHF airband. Well the ads-b results were totally abysmal. Packets/second was anywhere from 6 to 30. And I know I missed some aircraft completely based on what I saw on adsbexchange.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I have a custom ads-b setup, specifically a raspberry PI 3B+ running Python of my own design that captures ads-b packets and renders key callsigns and lat/lon information on a WaveShare display. Hardware is a nooelec SDR, a 1090 filter/amp, and a small dipole length-adjusted for 1.09 GHz and suction-cupped to a window. My software measures packet throughput and I typically capture anywhere from 95 to 110 packets/second during peak daytime hours. Over the years I've been running this thing 24/7 I have logged billions of packets.

So in the spirit of this thread I connected the setup as-is to my DJ-130 discone which is mounted outside and from my perspective has served me very well for VHF/UHF airband. Well the ads-b results were totally abysmal. Packets/second was anywhere from 6 to 30. And I know I missed some aircraft completely based on what I saw on adsbexchange.

But how far did you receive with discone? I’m ok with limited range.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
You know, I didn't even bother to check. When my packets/sec was down to 6 and languishing there I saw no further point in that discone experiment.

With my dipole stuck to the window I see well over 100 miles.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
You know, I didn't even bother to check. When my packets/sec was down to 6 and languishing there I saw no further point in that discone experiment.

With my dipole stuck to the window I see well over 100 miles.

I’m only looking for about 20 miles and tracking a handful of fairly low altitude aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.