Ghetto Yagi

Hi yall. Hope all is well. I was reading up on antennas and came across this Yagi setup in the pic. ( The pic is from Wi-Fi - Wikipedia )

Will this yagi setup add any significant positive value to the signal being transmitted and received?

I was wondering maybe it will work after all cause maybe, just maybe the directors and reflectors contribute to the black omni, where the omni is acting as the driven element.

Would this work in real life to a decent degree of success?

Thnx 4 the replies!

DGSRFGDRFGDR.JPG

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I would guess not. Typically the driver is a dipole. The antenna on that Fritz Box is just 1 leg of the dipole (the box is the other), so it's not really based at the correct point of the antenna. Also, I don't think the spacing is correct (or uniform for that matter) to be effective.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The driven element is probably a coaxial dipole and I think it should work fine. I would move the driven element so it’s a little higher than the reflector since the actual element inside is probable well below the top of the housing.

wtp

looks like it would cost 2 bucks to make it, then try it, it can't hurt.
i did help an old girlfriend with a corner reflector to a far away bedroom.
a one foot by 6 inches of cardboard and bent at 90 degrees and put it behind the router. it worked !

merlin

Hmm. A cheap way to add a reflector and directors to an antenna that is likely a dipole.
Get the element cut to proper length and spacing, should work decent.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Is that antenna removable? There are many 'gain' antennas to replace those skimpy 'stock' antennas.
(I surely wouldn't call that a "Ghetto" antenna.