• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater linking and the FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

I personally think that MDC ( pre of course ) to open up the repeater is a fantastic idea. It would keep tons of rif raf out. If I was a repeater owner - I would definitely run mine with MDC mandatory to gain access.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I personally think that MDC ( pre of course ) to open up the repeater is a fantastic idea. It would keep tons of rif raf out. If I was a repeater owner - I would definitely run mine with MDC mandatory to gain access.
And then there would be threads with non stop complaining about the whacker noises on GMRS and how you are limiting users from using their latest Chinese **** box they got from Amazon on your repeater.

mbnv992

And then there would be threads with non stop complaining about the whacker noises on GMRS and how you are limiting users from using their latest Chinese **** box they got from Amazon on your repeater.
Lmao

You are correct. There is no winning haha

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
It's getting even better out my way. Now they have GMRS repeaters linked to base stations on 151.880 throughout the area.

It's a free for all!!!
Use the frequency. When someone *****es, call them out on their stupidity. Not that they would probably understand anyway.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Don't get me wrong, I do realize that the FCC did not intend for the General Mobile Radio Service to be used for long distance communications like the Amateur Radio Service. However, I do think that having the ability to link up repeaters via VoIP or other means would be beneficial. And if the FCC gives its blessing for Digital Voice, DMR or IDAS/NXDN would great.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
However, I do think that having the ability to link up repeaters via VoIP or other means would be beneficial. And if the FCC gives its blessing for Digital Voice, DMR or IDAS/NXDN would great.
People can enjoy that right now with their Amateur radio license.

Why drive in the wrong lane when there is a perfectly good one right next to it?

radioopperator

Feed Provider
There seems to be a lot of speculating from HAM and new users! If you do the leg work. You will find in the OLD PT (95) rules ware the FCC states they will NO LONGER issue pairs of frequencies for linking! For those that claim that the FCC never meant for GMRS to be linked that is bs. The FCC has always said no autopatches, and no ptsn. Wonder why the phone company lobbied so hard to keep telephone off GMRS? Maybe they didn't want competition for cell phones in areas the cell company's are lacking. For the HAM that says you have to have a license to use radios? I believe anything 500mw and less the FCC don't regulate! IE: FRS and some other bands. And for those that don't live along the Mexico border! GMRS is illegal in MEXICO but the Mexicans are running 467.550-467.725 as DMR out puts for Motorola DMR trunking systems jamming Sothern California through Los Angeles and even into AZ. The FCC admitted years ago stating that in the advent of FRS that type acceptance never talked to enforcement and there were issues caused to frs and GMRS from the start but to change things at that point would cause them to be sued by manufacturers that built to specs. Also if you do some research in FCC part (90) you will find out the the FCC and the frequency coordinators to date all VIOLATE FCC rules daily when issuing licenses and this is a fact. Do a bit of leg work and you will find that the FCC and agents for promote jamming of LMR repeater systems!!! Yes no BS. Frequency coordinators constantly assign users to areas they are not to be assigned to! ANY GOV entity has protected spectrum and the FCC and its agents are illegally putting people in part 90 that do not belong! Any school district, fire department, Indian reservation, and others ALL have protected spectrum that is not being used by whom belongs in it! Oh and I forgot to mention in part 90 the FCC daily approves JAMMERS AKA users a license to talk on LMR repeater inputs not the outputs the FCC allows new licensees to talk simplex on the inputs of commercial frequencies and these people have no clue they are interfering with the repeaters. This is my two cents. Yes its all verifiable if you do some leg work or ask AI to do it for you! I personally think the HAMS should loose a bunch of unused spectrum they all will cry about it but if you look in the two meter / four forty spectrum they link way too much in some towns trying to protect spectrum. Given the opportunity I would link all 8 channels of GMRS as needed to keep the Mexico traffic out of the us! The FCC don't seem to care if your NOT CAUSING HARMFUL INTERFERENCE! What is the true definition of HARMFUL INTERFERENCE! Under the FCC subject to change with out notice! Again just what I have researched over 50 years. There will be a bunch of but sore hams because of my comments but they won't do any research first!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
People can enjoy that right now with their Amateur radio license.

Why drive in the wrong lane when there is a perfectly good one right next to it?
Because the elitist pricks in their beamers want to hug the left two hammer lanes and go 35mph. With no law enforcement, there are no laws.
GMRS was never and is never designed to fit where amateur and part 90 does.
In today's entitlement society, no one likes being told there are rules and to follow them, let alone being told NO.

ecps92

I mean if you are going to break the rules in one service, screw the rest right? Lets link them to 154.57 and walmart can chime in. Or 27.025. Prime Minista on the worldwide GMRS network, and I just got down!
or 26.62 (anyone remember that freq?)

nd5y

Back about 30 years ago some people in CA got busted by the FCC for having some kind of link or remote base system on 49.86 MHz, some 26 or 27 MHz frequency, and the mysterious spectrum hole 151.61 MHz.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Back about 30 years ago some people in CA got busted by the FCC for having some kind of link or remote base system on 49.86 MHz, some 26 or 27 MHz frequency, and the mysterious spectrum hole 151.61 MHz.
That would have been Larry, WA6SWG and I don’t remember any VHF freqs in his system. Besides CB there were some 49MHz and 462/467MHz freqs. And it was closer to 40yrs ago.

nd5y

That would have been Larry, WA6SWG and I don’t remember any VHF freqs in his system. Besides CB there were some 49MHz and 462/467MHz freqs. And it was closer to 40yrs ago.
Maybe that happened more than once. I don't remember any GMRS or UHF frequencies in the case I read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.